Traverse Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My thought also. But of more concern, this wouldn't have happened if there wasn't a material or design issue. So will it happen again? I'm going to have my local garage put it on a lift so we can see if there was any improvement made in the design of the bracket. If not, I may go to the local muffler shop and see if they can put a more robust hanger in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2018 Traverse. The check engine light came on and found out it was the converter and leaky flexpipe. We just passed 80K miles when the light came on and missed the warranty. The flexpipe on one side was about $380, but the other side has the converter attached and the price was $1150. Originally this part was separate from the converter, but when they try to find the part, it gets superseded by a newer redesigned part that combined the pipe and the converter.

We haven't fixed it yet, but if we do, it will be our FOURTH pipe/converter since we bought the SUV. The last pipe/converter was replaced in January 2020 and it had a 2 year warranty, which we also just missed by 2 months. Unbelievable that there isn't some class action suit yet for all the people experiencing this. We are trying to work with GM on this but they are almost impossible to communicate with.

To make matters worse, since this all happened in the last few weeks, we were driving it on Thursday and holes blew out in the pipes just behind the Y. Our 2018 Traverse now sounds like a motorcycle. Two symmetrical holes like the pictures above. We think that bracket wore away the pipes and blew out. We are most likely going to do the "tin can" fix until we figure out what to do with the converter. So ridiculous!

·
Registered
2019 High Country
108 Posts
Thank goodness for mig welders and car lifts and aftermarket cats and all the stainless exhaust tubing you can buy..
No way would I let a dealership redo this one...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Chevy Traverse Redline with 50k miles on it. I also went through the same issue. First it began with a bad CAT. GM replaced that. Engine light came back on and tech found an exhaust leak at the weld indicated in the picture. Luckily, I had Geico mechanical breakdown insurance to cover $1800 install/labor. About two months ago, I received a letter in the mail that GM is refunding customers for the exhaust leak issue; they are also paying for anyone affected. Long story short, don’t waste your time taking the vehicle into a mom and pop muffler shop. The weld bead is extremely difficult to patch with a tig. Let GM take care of it since it’s free.
Every now and then, I get a smell of sulfur coming from the HVAC vents. Typically this smell happens during a cold start. Haven’t figured that out.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts