Traverse Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2018 Redline 54k had since 3miles
Been having an exhaust issue trying to see if I am the lucky guy or if it's a common issue. Where the exhaust connects to header it goes down into a y and the exhaust run parallel to one another. Where it is running parallel there is a brace holding the exhaust. The welds at this point have cracked leaving a hole in the exhaust 2 times on the catalytic converter end of the y and have been covered under warranty. This time it is cracked on the other side and not covered. Dealer wants $980 to replace the pin hole in the exhaust caused by the cracked weld on the brace.
Seems like a tension issue to me seeing as there is no damage to the vehicle undercarriage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep, first dealer said they couldn't find exhaust leak. Took it to a 2nd dealer who fixed mine last month - They replaced the catalytic converter under warranty, but pipes after that aren't covered - even with the Ally extended warranty. $760.00

·
Read Only
0 Posts
How were these cracks discovered? Could you hear the leak before finding it?

Some pictures would have been useful to better understand exactly where these cracks form.

In any case, thanks for the info. We'll be on the lookout for anything unusual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Been having an exhaust issue trying to see if I am the lucky guy or if it's a common issue. Where the exhaust connects to header it goes down into a y and the exhaust run parallel to one another. Where it is running parallel there is a brace holding the exhaust. The welds at this point have cracked leaving a hole in the exhaust 2 times on the catalytic converter end of the y and have been covered under warranty. This time it is cracked on the other side and not covered. Dealer wants $980 to replace the pin hole in the exhaust caused by the cracked weld on the brace.
Seems like a tension issue to me seeing as there is no damage to the vehicle undercarriage.

·
Read Only
0 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can hear and smell the exhaust (which would enter the cabin) when remote starting the engine, and letting it idle for a few minutes. You could also hear the leak under the car when accelerating at a certain speed. Here's the data/pics: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165909-9999.pdf
Thanks for the pdf. Images are very helpful. My vehicle has the same or similar issue. I have extended warranty and exhaust plus 4 other parts aren't covered. Right now decision is to not fix it, but would like input if you think differently. Technician also noted rust and asked if I drove it in snow or ice. Answer is very little, I live in Central Texas and travel back and forth to Tennessee on limited bases. Since your post have you come across additional information? Please share if so.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a catalytic issue on my 14 Impala Premier on start up only. Very loud until it got warm to hot and went away. no noise under acceleration. I video taped, showed service tech, changed... Turn off A/C and look for condensation on the floor to identify the location and the holes, take pictures or video.

·
Registered
9 Posts
have my Traverse in the shop today and they said the same thing. Bracket is broken and wore a hole in the other side. So both Exhaust up to the manifolds need to be replaced.

Cat. Converter side is covered but not the other. $720. Anyone have luck having GM cover this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had my Traverse looked at today and appears to be the same issue. $1375 to repair. Seems like this should be a recall issue.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Recalls are for safety issues; I'd this isn't a safety issue. On the other hand, they COULD extend the warranty for a known defect; I'm guessing it would need to be pretty wide-spread for that to happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
gjledwon. How many miles are on your vehicle? If you are under 80K they should replace the Catalytic Cov. under warranty. What is the $1375 replacing?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a new 2021 reported exhaust leak at first service under 4K miles. Dealer confirmed and replaced part of exhaust. Still sounds like it leaks took back the following week. Dealer can’t find any leak I was told it’s the new type fuel pump that flutters that makes the noise I’m concerned with that theory. Thinking of taking to an independent muffler and converter shop

·
Registered
2018 Traverse High Country Pearl White
2 Posts
Have a new 2021 reported exhaust leak at first service under 4K miles. Dealer confirmed and replaced part of exhaust. Still sounds like it leaks took back the following week. Dealer can’t find any leak I was told it’s the new type fuel pump that flutters that makes the noise I’m concerned with that theory. Thinking of taking to an independent muffler and converter shop
Hi, I’m having the issue from earlier in the thread. Wondering how your independent shop worked out? I had a bad rattle noise that started at 95,000 km. Dealer removed the broken y shaped 2 bolt support (photo 15 in Exhaust Leak Conditions – TechLink) for $75 rather than replace the $750 pipe. 10,000 km later and the rattle was now a throaty exhaust leak noise. Dealer replaced the catalytic converter under warranty. 3,000 km later and the exhaust leak noise is getting louder again with some occasional rattling when turning left. Following this thread as the NHTSA and GM links above are super useful. Still like the ride and efficiency of our 2018 High Country but right now I’m getting a bit exhausted ;-)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts