Traverse Forum banner

181 - 200 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
I took it in today. Dealer says no stored codes. I had checked the air filter and TB a few days ago and the TB is very clean.
My problem now is I broke the MAF sensor plug :banghead:. I pulled the red lock back with no problem but when I unplugged it a black tab that is part of the main plug housing broke off. Now it wont clip on. I had to zip tie it by sending the tie through where the red lock is and around the intake tube. Its ugly but works. Dealer parts guy quoted my $170 for a new plug with long leads that have to be spliced in. Cheapest I found was $87 from GM parts direct. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 Traverse recently started having the brake light come on in the dash followed by Service brake system then the traction system off. It doesn't happen all the time. I can drive for a few days and nothing or it may happen several times in one trip. We have checked the brake pads front/back and brake fluid, both are fine. The car seems to stop fine. I do notice that when I try to randomly press the traction button nothing happens. Any suggestions. I have an appointment with the dealership in the next few days. Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
velocity5 said:
I took it in today. Dealer says no stored codes. I had checked the air filter and TB a few days ago and the TB is very clean.
My problem now is I broke the MAF sensor plug :banghead:. I pulled the red lock back with no problem but when I unplugged it a black tab that is part of the main plug housing broke off. Now it wont clip on. I had to zip tie it by sending the tie through where the red lock is and around the intake tube. Its ugly but works. Dealer parts guy quoted my $170 for a new plug with long leads that have to be spliced in. Cheapest I found was $87 from GM parts direct. Any suggestions?
Sorry to hear about the plug breaking. Don't feel bad, It happens. Not a whole lot to do but splice in a new plug or leave as is with the zip tie. If you do splice, use shrink wrap connector covers to keep water tight. Just don't wrap with electrical tape. Varying opinions on whether to solder or use butt connectors. I have used the latter with the shrink wrap with no problems. Good news is the plug is tight now and you have time to think about it.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
liz91402 said:
My 2011 Traverse recently started having the brake light come on in the dash followed by Service brake system then the traction system off. It doesn't happen all the time. I can drive for a few days and nothing or it may happen several times in one trip. We have checked the brake pads front/back and brake fluid, both are fine. The car seems to stop fine. I do notice that when I try to randomly press the traction button nothing happens. Any suggestions. I have an appointment with the dealership in the next few days. Thanks
Hi liz91402,

We are sorry you're experiencing these concerns with your Traverse. I know how inconvenient vehicle issues can be. Your dealership is in the best position to provide diagnosis and repair of the issues, however, we'd like to reach out to them on your behalf as well in order to provide an additional layer of assistance. If that is of interest to you, please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, contact information and dealership. We hope to hear from you soon.

Best,

Amanda K.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 Traverse and the "Service Stabili-trak" idiot light comes on almost every day on my way home from work. Well, today it came on when I was headed *to* work and I got to a stop light and someone alerted me to the fact that my brake lights were constantly on for the last few miles. I'm not sure that the two are related, but I'm not convinced that they're not either.
I pulled into the garage at work and parked the car, left it running and got out to check. Sure enough, the brake lights were on. I remembered setting the parking brake yesterday evening (and fully releasing it as well - that light wasn't on this morning). I tried setting and releasing it. "BRAKE" light came on and then went off when I released it. Brake lights were still on.
I haven't taken it in to be looked at but I plan on taking it to see if a friend can hook it up to see what's wrong with it (potentially). Has anyone else had an issue with the brake lights coming on and staying on, even at highway speed (50-55mph)?

Thanks!! :banghead:

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
check the brake pedal switch... most likely stuck-- or failed in the "ON" position.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 Traverse and the Stabilitrac/Traction Control warning lights recently started going off every time the vehicle is driven. There is no change in the handling or feel of the car. I also noticed that the all three brake lights are on constantly while driving, making it look like I'm riding the brakes while driving, which I never do. This didn't start happening until the Stabiitrac/Traction Control warning lights started going off so I wonder if they're related. I've done some research and found that it might be a bad throttle body sensor that might be causing the warning lights but what is causing the brake lights to stay lit while driving and how can I fix it?? Please help!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds like a failed brake light switch which is causing them to be on all the time. The StabiliTrak system thinks the brakes are on while you are applying the gas pedal which is a no no to the ECU.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree about the brake switch. It's called the Brake Pedal Position Sensor and is a variable voltage sensor much like a throttle sensor. Common part failure.

Best thing to do is have a scanner hooked up that can talk to the body module and check for codes and operation. If it's bad the sensor is easy to replace but it has to be calibrated with the scan tool in the body module section.

Not many folks will have a scanner like that so best go to the dealer or a good indy shop. You can maybe replace it and have it calibrated but your brake lights will be on until you do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
Seems like these used vehicles that appear on a used car lot, with low miles, should be a big, big, red flag to those looking to purchase.

Think about it, how many people do you know that trade in a vehicle, with such low mileage? None that I know.

First owner had problems, dumped the vehicle because it wasn't getting fixed, or not fixed to his/her personal satisfaction .... which then becomes the problem for the next, unsuspecting owner.

ALWAYS, but ALWAYS get the warranty history, get the CarFax as well ...... BEFORE signing the contract and making such a purchase.

Buyer beware on these "low mileage" cream puffs!
Yeah. No kidding. I really feel like me and my wife got this one dumped on us. We don't make a lot and I generally do my own repairs... And I own a Pontiac G6 (Chevy) so I'm used to little issues. This thing is turning into a B!#@*. I can't get the lights to be on when the dealer checks it yet. I just told the wife. Next time the light comes on EVERY THING ELSE STOPS. TAKE IT STRAIGHT TO A DEALER and get a printout of everything. HARDCOPY.

·
Registered
41 Posts
this is the Scanner i used to read my ABS codes. It cost 99 bucks from Amazon, works with bluetooth to an APP you download on your phone for free, no extra charges. Does engine and ABS , also says will do other systems but havent had any use for other systems yet. Its worked very well for me, it also checks readiness monitors so you will know if systems are ready for state inspections. Company is always updating too, no charge. " BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android
by Lemur Vehicle Monitors " There are videos on Youtube reviewing it also.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Seems like these used vehicles that appear on a used car lot, with low miles, should be a big, big, red flag to those looking to purchase.

Think about it, how many people do you know that trade in a vehicle, with such low mileage? None that I know.

First owner had problems, dumped the vehicle because it wasn't getting fixed, or not fixed to his/her personal satisfaction .... which then becomes the problem for the next, unsuspecting owner.

ALWAYS, but ALWAYS get the warranty history, get the CarFax as well ...... BEFORE signing the contract and making such a purchase.

Buyer beware on these "low mileage" cream puffs!
These could also be lease returns, not just low mileage trade ins. And if these low mileage vehicles are less than three years old, and have less than 36K miles, they would still be under the factory warranty. In my opinion, an "unsuspecting" buyer is an uninformed buyer who hasn't done their research...and that's unfortunate when spending a lot of money on any vehicle, new or used.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wife was driving home today and it started flashing on and off the SST and STC etc. She turned around and headed to the dealer. Finally got it there with the lights still on. It says its the BPP sensor.
Hopefully they can get to it soon as I don't have that scan tool to do the recalibration. The good news is that he might be installing it for free 'cause when I asked about the cost he said it's not his concern, but concerned for her safety. We will see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had the problem with my stabilitrak / traction control idiot light and also coincidentely my cruise control going on and off.....underneath the dash is a cover, remove it and find the brake light control module..it looks like an alligators mouth and attaches to the brake pedal mounting....put a piece of folded paper on the underside of the top lip of the unit causing the unit to go north, but only by a little.....take the car for a ride and see if it corrects your problem...if it does, check the lateral movement of your brake pedal to see if it is tight or if there is lateral movement...if there is lateral movement you need the white colored bushings for the pivot bolt for the brake pedal or the metal sleeve the bolt goes through....this is not a single part and you must buy the whole brake pedal assembly to steal the bushing and sleeve...they are $30 on ebay new..you do not have to take the whole assembly off, only remove the alligator teeth unit and then the pivot bolt for the brake pedal to switch them out..if there is little to no lateral movement, it may just be the brake light module.....and while you have the alligator / brake switch off, for another $20 you should put a new one on just for good measure....the whole job only takes about half an hour.....it saved me a fortune at the dealer guessing game..and the cost of all the threads on this site..the bad bushing causes the brake light switch to tell your stabilitrak / traction control and also your cruise control that brakes are applied, depending on how much lateral movement there is in your pedal, and causes the fault. my traverse had 109000 on the speedo....hope this helps

·
Registered
772 Posts
I am getting the SST, STC messages. My Cruise control stayed engaged when I encountered it. I read where if you are low on brake fluid it could generate this message. I added some fluid and will keep an eye on it as some have reported that the master cylinder can leak past the piston seal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok i have one for you guys...2010 LT traverse. Had timing chains done in December at dealership, then last week I replaced the MAF sensor, intake gasket, air cleaner, coils, plugs, and throttle body...all my problems went away....So the next day the TC/SC came on and I have been doing research and found this site....So i have cleaned the wheel sensors bought new tires and still have the same problem only mine is different....it comes on right after the motor turns over and stays on till i shut it off.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
any work done where the steering wheel could have been moved?

I believe the steering wheel angle sensor can cause the TC light to come one=

so get it to go away with a wheel alignement

·
Registered
772 Posts
One guy on the outlook forum stated that he had a Firestone shop replace the steering rack, did a wheel alignment and he was getting the messages.
Brought it back they did another alignment then the messages were coming up when the steering wheel was turned to the right but not to the left.
He removed the steering wheel and added a turn to the steering wheel sensor spring and the problem went away.

181 - 200 of 203 Posts