Traverse Forum banner

161 - 180 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
what im saying is that MANY things can activate that message and reduce engine power.

Many are safety related.

In this case- if it is TB related-- better to have reduced engine power--- than to have out of control engine power (you know like the Toyota owners).

·
Registered
243 Posts
The message is just telling you something is wrong and the car is going into a safe mode but still running so you can it to a safe loacation. The message is not related to the actual problem.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
rp3106--- put it well... thats what I was trying to say.

·
Registered
11 Posts
???
lol wut?

So if I understand you both correctly then: GM has chosen the On Board Diagnostic Computer to throw a default code of "Service stabilitrac, traction control off, engine power reduced" to anything that may go wrong with the car that requires immediate service, and as a precaution puts the car into limp mode.

Really? A dirty throttle body?
You want to put tens of thousands of women and children at risk of an accident for a dirty throttle body?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
I know what youre saying-
some folks have come on here and said yes--- they went into reduced power while on the highway--- they had to limp out of the way with cars speeding by....

I guess thats how it was programmed....... lesser of 2 evils?

if the computer is getting bad info--- better to go into safe mode.... instead of thinking that you just pressed the gas pedal to FULL throttle.

Is your area cold? These messages become popular when winter arrives.....
If so- the Throttle body is actually probably freezing.
Oil/moisture will freeze that TB.....
Most folks pull over--- and few min later- with engine heat- it melts the ice...and back to normal for a while....
until it freezes again.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I'm in New England, it's been historically warm so far, but arctic air just started moving in. Can't say it was really that cold when the bells and whistles went off, maybe 40's, don't think it was even freezing.

20's overnight though, and the car sat outside, it would NOT start this morning.
Funny too, when I cranked it and released the key.....it would NOT stop cranking, the engine was actually stuck cranking....did not turn over, must have had spark and air...no fuel at all.
I'm thinking on top of this issue we may have killed the fuel pump at the same time. :happy:

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
the computer does the cranking...
I Believe it will crank up to X seconds-- then it stops- if the engine has not fired up-- to save the starter motor.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Maybe you should try insulating the TB in such a way that it keeps in more of the engine heat.

Back in the 70's, my '72 Opel Manta had a snorkel air intake with a spiral wire-reinforced cardboard tube that brought warm air up from heat shields around the engine to the snorkel. A temperature controlled vacuum operated flap would open/close as necessary to keep the air coming into the air filter at the proper temperature (warm from engine, cool from snorkel).

Driving home from Wisconsin to Delaware the night before Xmas eve, about 2:30am in the middle of nowhere in Ohio, outside temperature about 0 degrees F, I realized I had my foot to the floor and I was only going about 45mph. I pulled over and popped the hood. The cardboard tube was nowhere in sight. I was basically making ice cubes in my carburetor. Fortunately, Yankee ingenuity stepped in. I had a roll of paper towels I used to clean the windshield. The cardboard tube inside fit perfectly!! Got me home for Xmas!

So I'm thinking - insulate to keep the TB warm.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
I know some toyotas and some GMs- had coolant hoses running to the TB... in some cases they leaked over time....

But-- many folks, make a mod--- of removing the hoses so no coolant keeps the TB warm.

I guess in warm weather-- they remove this-- so that cool air enters the engine vs warmed air....
one of those things manf. put it in-- and folks remove it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined today to say thank you too all of you, Had the Stabilitrak/traction control/engine power reduced problem trigger today, and after a $5 can of throttle body cleaner and about 10 minutes of my time it's all working again. The PCV orifice was nasty!

2011 Acadia with 75k miles on it and a chicago winter seem to have triggered it. If it happens again, I may go ahead and replace the throttle body, but that's easy enough.

thanks again all!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think adding a 3,000 mile regimen of Chevron Techron would be a good idea from now on.

I know that stuff has done absolute wonders for my other daily driver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
pjntj said:
Newbie Chiming in.

2013 with 32K miles.
Service traction control/stabilitrac/engine power reduced

codes:
P228c low fuel pressure
P0171 fuel trim system lean
P0174 System lean bank 2
P228c Fuel pressure regulator low pressure (x2)

This happened over the weekend, against my better judgement I'm going to try to drop it off to the dealership Monday morning.

Pretty disappointed to see this issue span all Chevy products over 7 years and nothing at all has been done.
Sad to see it has to come down to multiple deaths and lawsuits until they admit there is a problem and do something to correct it.
wife got the car back just now.
She said they changed out the High Pressure Fuel pump.

I'll be cleaning the TB and running Techron through it from now on. :beer:

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
interesting.

dont see too many HPFP failures on here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A big thanks to all that contribute in this forum.
I have saved a lot of money educating myself here with all our Traverse experiences.
The latest was the dreaded Service Traction Control while I was attending a funeral in -30C weather, 700 Km's from home.
Perfect timing indeed.
Needless to say after a few pages here, I limped it to a dealership near my location and within 45 mins they diagnosed it as the Throttle body
And being able to provide them with the Tech Bulletin # helped keep things simple. ;)
New one ordered rush over night and replaced by GM extended warranty on my 2010.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2010 Traverse has been doing the same thing - almost daily for the past week because we've been getting snow. I hear "ding, ding, ding" and the warning comes up, "traction control off, service traction control, service stabilitrak, reducing engine speed" and here we go. Last time it took me down to 15 mph on the highway. I had to limp along with flashers on and cars speeding by until I could get to a safe place to pull off and shut the car off for 5 minutes, restarted it and it was fine. This only seems to happen in the winter months. Also have parking assist error which is constant. And when my traction control goes off, my service engine light comes on. I'm pretty sure after reading a few pages on this thread, it's the throttle body. Contacted my dealer yesterday and have an appointment to get it in there on Monday morning. They told me there is no recall or "special" recall on the throttle body. I'm pretty sure the powertrain warranty is expired, as I'm over 80,000 miles. I can't afford to pay for this repair! How do I get GM to pay the bill with the dealer? Seems with all the people this is happening to, they would realize that this system is NOT working!

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
your 2010 has the 5yr/100,000 powertrain---- its still under 100K, but passed the 5yr--- though you may want to check the IN SERVICE date...
thats when the powertrain starts. the date it was sold. Its possible it may have been bought in 2011.... a possibility...

One reason this occurs in Winter-- is that many folks do not clean their Throttle bodies. they get full of oily residue and moisture.
With the COLD temps, and the change in pressure in the Throttle body= cold temps in the Throttle body-- the moisture in the throttle body freezes--
causing the TB to set the error code.

WHen you stop for 5 min---- the engines heat- melts the ice-- and off you go.

In the time being- if you need to drive over the weekend --- You should clean the throttle body- it will cost $5.

heres a HOW TO with pics.

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1621.0

Parking Assist error--
You dont give more details- but on some 2010- there was a software patch to fix the Service Park Assist.
Theyd have to scan to check if it is setting the codes mentioned.

Intermittent Service Park Assist Message

An intermittent Service Park Assist Message may display on the DIC of some of the following models equipped with RPO UD7 or UD5: 2010 SRX, CTS Wagon, Escalade models, Avalanche, Camaro, Equinox, Silverado, Traverse, Tahoe, Suburban, Enclave, Acadia, Sierra, Terrain, and Yukon models.

There may be one or more of the following DTCs stored in history: B0954 01, B0955 01, B0956 01, B0957 01, B0958 01, B0959 01, B0960 01, and/or B0961 01.

If, after normal diagnostics, the cause of the condition is not found, reprogram the Park Assist Control Module with an updated calibration currently available in TIS2WEB.
[/color]

Heres the info on the extended Warranty on the Throttle body...
if that is indeed the issue.

Condition
On some 2008 model year (MY) Saturn Outlook; 2008-2009 MY Buick Allure, Chevrolet Equinox, Chevrolet Uplander, Pontiac G8, Pontiac Montana SV6, Pontiac Torrent, and Saturn VUE; 2008-2010 MY Hummer H3 and Pontiac G6; 2008-2011 MY Cadillac CTS, Cadillac SRX, and Chevrolet Impala; 2008, 2011-2012 MY Chevrolet Captiva; 2008-2012 MY Buick Enclave, Buick Lacrosse, Chevrolet Colorado, Chevrolet Malibu, and GMC Canyon; 2009 MY Hummer H3T; 2009-2011 MY Buick Lucerne; 2009-2012 MY Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia; and 2010-2012 MY Buick Regal vehicles, the throttle-position sensor may cause the engine to run rough, cause the malfunction-indicator lamp and/or an engine reduced power message to illuminate, and reduce the engine’s power.

Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the throttle body assembly and gasket for Bosch equipped vehicles, or to install the throttle position sensor kit for Hitachi equipped vehicles. The Hitachi throttle body assembly only needs to be replaced if the sensor kit does not correct the condition. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 24, 2015, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 24, 2015, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

[/color]

·
Registered
538 Posts
My 2013 with 32,000 mi did this a few days ago. Started it up to go to work and the message center went crazy. 1st warning was traction control off followed by service stabilitrak and then the check engine light flashed a few times. It all went away before I backed out. It was above freezing that day. It has been below freezing since then and it has not come back on. Does it store a code?
Guess its time for me to inspect the throttle body.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Yes- it may have stored a code

·
Registered
538 Posts
The warning has yet to return. I was going to check the TB but since I am nearing the end of my B2B warranty (March) I will let the dealer take care of it.

161 - 180 of 203 Posts