Traverse Forum banner

What do you use and where do you go for an oil change?

• Dealership

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One of those quicky lubes

• Do it yourself at home

• An independent garage

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course 'oil and filter' is the most common maintenance item one does on an vehicle. Just trying to get an idea what we Traverse owners do in this respect.

For this car, for the past several changes, I have been bringing it to a one man shop where I supply the oil and filter and help in the process. I do get receipts. But I think I will go back to doing it myself starting with the good weather as this past fall the drain bolt was replaced with a FUMOTO valve which will make the process much easier i.e quicker, safer and less messy.

But I am a bit torn as the advantage I see of having it on the lift when doing regular oil changes is one can at the same time do a pretty detailed visual inspection of the undercarriage and such and so might see, for example....any fluid leaks. The mechanic I go to has no problem with me going under the car while it is on the hoist and poking around.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I would be doing mine at home like I have for the past 25 years. But I pay for oil and filter and the dealership comps the labor since I bought the car there. I don't have to concern myself with making a mess or recycling the oil.

A

·
0 Posts
I would have thought the do it yourself response would be higher than the poll indicates especially with this crowd

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
I dont recall ever seeing this post.

But when I do my oil changes I look for leaks on the major components (steering rack).
I also check the level of the PS fluid, the coolant, and other stuff under the vehicle.
Just today- after I change my air filter, I took a look to see if there was any leak on the timing chain cover and the water pump.
None found.
This weekend im also popping in some Silverstar Ultras. I have Silverstars in at the moment-- but im changing them out -- dont want to get one burnout while im in the middle of a dark texas highway.... (im basing this on mileage/time).

·
Registered
718 Posts
Do it myself and as rbarrios does, I give everything a once over to check for any obvious issues.

·
Registered
79 Posts
jwhjr said:
Do it myself and as rbarrios does, I give everything a once over to check for any obvious issues.
Absolutely, It is also a great time to take a serious look for any inner tire wear. On most of my cars, if the angles are right, I can even take a look at the inner brake pad wear, which as we sometimes find out the hard way, can occasionally be faster than the outer pad wear.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I also do the LOF myself, as I used to perform these in my younger days @ the Chevy/Ford dealerships that I worked at when we got really busy. I guess a Parts managers job isn't always just running for parts/ looking up parts :happy:

I do the following on EVERY LOF that I perform wether it be for my own car, or somene else's ( family member/friend).

Make sure vehicle is warm but not hot so oil drians more completely.
Take off oil fill cap
Jack up vehicle, and use stands, then drain old oil
Remove old oil filter
Check tires for correct pressure / wear while oil draining
Grease any fittings that can be found ( newer cars are getting fewer and fewer of these)
Check all systems for leaks or seepage.
Check all hoses and belts for dry rott or cracking
Replace Drain plug, and install new oil filter.
Take car off jack stands, and lower to ride height.
Fill back up with new oil.
Start car for long enough to build oil pressure, and verify there are no leaks, then shut off vehicle
Check to make sure new oil level is correct.
Re-start car and Check Trans fluid (or clutch fluid if manual trans).
Check brake fluid. If low, probably due to needing new pads, not because of a leak ( many don't understand this).
Top off washer fluid
Check coolant level, and top off if need be with 50/50 mix of correct coolant.
Shut car back off, and check air filter.
Make sure everything is clean and that no oil or residue is left anywhere to burn off.

This was how I was tought @ my first job, and how I tought the new hires when I was parts manager / Service Assistant. Worked very well for us, and the only modification is that each and every tech HAD to use paper floor mats and seat protectors.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
yup. I follow a very similar routine. Like you mentioned- while checking for leaks from the water pump- I also inspected the Serpentine belt.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I add 250ml of oil into the filter to saturate the element , to prevent a dry start up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Every 6 months with a full synth. November and May. Both when the weather goes from one extreme to the other.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts