Traverse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,

I got a used 2015 Traverse this February and didn't notice the AC not working until we had a random warm week in March. I called the dealership to see what they would do for me, and even though they could have told me to pound sand, they did offer to take it, inspect it, and fix it. They charged it up (apparently it had almost no refrigerant) and told me to drive it for a couple weeks to let the dye work itself through to identify a leak. When I took it back, they couldn't find anything so maybe it was just super low. A buddy of mine said "cars don't just lose refrigerant" so there is likely an issue.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago... I notice the AC is having a hard time keeping up. Even in just 80 degrees and set to 72, it's on nearly full blast and is slow to cool (ie 10 minutes to get comfortable). I checked the low-side port thinking it was low again, but it's well inside the green on my gauge (and is even on the high side of green). Since it's full on refrigerant, what could the issue be? Is it one of my condenser units going bad, is it a sensor, a line, or something else? Anyone have this particular issue?

Fingers crossed for a recall on this some day... I'm really liking the Traverse, especially the trunk space with the third row down, but I'm going to get real tired of fixing the HVAC system.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check your cabin filter, it’s cheap and a good place to start. Had a car with the same and that was where the problem ended up being.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Numerous things could be wrong, the pressure you’re seeing could be just that, pressure and not actual coolant. A thermistor could be bad and giving bad readings, or worse. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I will check the cabin filter and report back. If that's not it, I'll just have to take it in. No big deal, but not ideal...

·
Registered
308 Posts
With the ambient temperature above 90, preferable at 95, stick a thermometer in the middle vent, fan on high, rpms @ 1500 , gauges hooked up. What are the readings and what is the temp?

On a fully charged system, in good working order the temp. coming out of the vent should be 50-/+ degrees, pressure low side 39 to 50 psi, high side 250 to 300 psi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update time! I checked the cabin filter, and while a little dirty I didn't think it was too bad. I ended up replacing it but haven't had a chance to personally drive it (the wife isn't as picky as me and didn't notice much one way or the other during this). We'll do some driving this weekend and I'll stick a thermometer in the vent to check what it's coming out at. Thanks for all the ideas!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news, it appears the cabin air filter was the culprit! Again, I didn't think it looked too bad but after replacing it and driving around over the hot, humid weekend, it seemed to work much better. I stuck a thermometer in the vent and it came back at just over 50 degrees (so thanks for that idea srwa).

·
Registered
2020 High Country
627 Posts
Possibly the old one was one of those higher micron filtering ones ? They plug easier and faster than the standard ones and are more restrictive flowing air than the standard ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Possibly the old one was one of those higher micron filtering ones ? They plug easier and faster than the standard ones and are more restrictive flowing air than the standard ones.
That could be. Also, when I replaced it, I noticed it was installed backwards relative to air flow (the arrow on the filter was pointing up where it should have been pointing down).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts