Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a new sirius tuner installed in place of the stock xm unit. They used a ISIMPLE media gateway and a SCC1 sirius tuner. Everything works great except I can't get the song title and artist display to stay on longer than a few seconds then it changes to display "ANTENNA" any ideas what I might need to do to correct this problem?

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
sorry I cant answer your question---
I think youre the 1st thread on such a swap...

Also--- welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great I'm the first...I went this way because I thought it would be a cleaner install, I've been a long sirius customer and liked the radio but was dissapointed when I found out I couldn't combine a xm and sirius bill. Hopfully someone reads this and might know.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
I just use my Sirius portable radio and plug into the Aux input.
I use the small area down by the shifter to place the radio.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have read that the XM antenna does not pull in the Sirius channels as well as a dedicated Sirius antenna would. Did they change your antenna?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm a fan of XM with it installed in all 3 cars. I'm sure it's a matter of preference, but what is it that you like so much better about Sirius?

Also, isn't it possible to get a "Best of Sirius" package thru XM now that they've merged?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To answer both questions, yes they added a sirius antenna and left the xm antenna due to the fact I believe the regular radio stations still come through the roof antenna. To answer the second question, I would have stayed with the xm but they couldn't combine the bills or give me the second radio at the reduced rate. The only way I could take advantage of a second radio was to stay with one or the other company and sense I already had a sirius radio and account I choose to stay with them...

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
andylibby said:
I'm a fan of XM with it installed in all 3 cars. I'm sure it's a matter of preference, but what is it that you like so much better about Sirius?

Also, isn't it possible to get a "Best of Sirius" package thru XM now that they've merged?
Ill chime in...I also have Sirius-- and use my portable radio and use the AUX in- to get the signal thru to my speakers.
Why didnt I get XM.... well I listen to Howard Stern in the AM- and if I wanted that on XM- I was going to have to pay extra....
Just like we had to do on our Impala. I was not happy about paying extra. So I keep using the Sirius radio--- also- I like the feature that my little radio-- will record 45 min- and I can pause and play back. I can also save songs or singers into memory-- anytime they come on--- the radio lets me know by beeping at me- and displaying their name or the song title.
It also has remote control-- so people can control the sirius radio from way in the back.

But ill tell you-- Howard Stern has provided sanity in the Los Angeles rush hr traffic.
During the summer- when kids dont go to school- my 20 mile drive into work takes about 30 minutes.
Now that schools are back in session- my times into work were
Last week- 30 min
Mon-40 min
Tues-45 min
Wed-48 min
Thu-65 min-
75 minutes I KNOW is coming--
When youre in a Sea of cars- rolling at 5 MPH....
He provides plenty of laughs to keep me sane. Ohhh- then you can throw in 90-100 degree temps.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Bronc53 - I understand your point now about why you are sticking with Sirius, but it seems stupid (on their part, not yours) given that Sirius and XM are, in fact, the same company.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am very interested in this topic as well. I have a lifetime Sirius subscription that I would LOVE to transfer and use with my in-dash NAV/radio on my new 2011 Traverse LTZ.

If anyone has any solutions, I (and many others) are all ears!

Also, has anyone heard if/when Sirius and XM are going to finally combine their billing systems? I would imagine, once this is done, that might no longer be an issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was told the issue is not billing, but contracts. Sirius has contracs in place that were pre-merger and contractually to offer NASCAR, Howard 100/101, Playboy, NFL and Martha Stewart they must pay those networks per ESN. Sure they could pay out of there own pocket, but the pockets are kinda empty...so we get the bill.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bronc53 said:
I just had a new sirius tuner installed in place of the stock xm unit. They used a ISIMPLE media gateway and a SCC1 sirius tuner. Everything works great except I can't get the song title and artist display to stay on longer than a few seconds then it changes to display "ANTENNA" any ideas what I might need to do to correct this problem?
Can anyone tell me if this is still an issue and if it is possible to convert?
I live in Northern Canada where XM reception is poorer than Sirius.
I also have an existing Sirius account that I want to add another receiver to.
This is cheaper than a separate XM account that works poorly.
I have no problem installing a separate antenna for Sirius but I want to use the
factory GM stereo controls and preset features.
Sirius has told me to talk to my dealer and GM told me to talk to Sirius.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just ordered an Isimple conversion with Sirius module for my 2010 LT that currently doesn't have XM (former rental vehicle). It should be here next week and I'm gonna have it installed at BestBuy. I'll keep the forum posted on how it works out!!

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
If it shows antenna then it is an antenna issue take it back to where the unit was installed

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well here's the first bit of news. I ordered my Sirius/Isimple conversion parts from TSS on Saturday. THEY ARRIVED TODAY (Monday)!! THAT is pretty good service.

Scheduled an install at BestBuy manana!

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Tom at yes radio is Awsome. Also I will say that you can run the cm antenna for sirius as I do it on my avalanche I bought a cable from a guy on e bay that had the right adaptors. I too am a stern fan and well I got the best of sirius on my xm for free till 2013

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had my ISimple adapter and Sirius turner installed today. It all works thru the OEM radio and it works great - it's nice to have PATRIOT RADIO back, but it will also be nice to have the NFL Channel, '50s, '60s, '70s, and '80s hits as well as others.

It certainly cleared up the console of wires all over the place.!!

I did find out that my current radio does NOT have a socket for the Bluetooth VCIM, so I guess I'll coast on that issue for a while.

Happy trails to you, Compadres!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also have the lifetime Sirius membership. When I asked the Billing Dept about it, they said that you can't combine Sirius and XM unless you have 2 of one kind first, then you can add a 3rd radio of the other brand (ie: if I had 2 XM's, I could then combine my Sirius Sportster 5 radio to that account). I know that I will never need 3 active radios, nor could I justify that kind of money.

I'll continue to follow this discussion. I'd love to get rid of the extra wires and just have "factory" Sirius in my dash.

·
Registered
271 Posts
c44j said:
I'd love to get rid of the extra wires and just have "factory" Sirius in my dash.
Essentially, that's what I now have. Cost @ $230.00 for parts, and $90 for installation.

We make two or three trips to California every year to see some of our kids. Without Sirius, listening to every small town radio station as we make our crossing of the Mojave desert, and the mountains of northern Arizona would be tedious, to make an understatement.

The things we do for tunes???

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
c44j said:
I also have the lifetime Sirius membership.
I believe the LIFETIME membership- is lifetime of the RADIO itself. If it dies- there goes your lifetime subscription.
Im pretty sure I read that.

On a SIRIUS note.. since you said driving to California.
Ive listened to Sirius while traveling along this route...
Ill name major points along the route....
Los Angeles---Phoenix---Cross Border--- Nogales---Hermosillo--- Ciudad Obregon---Navojoa---Los Mochis---Guasave--- Culiacan--- Mazatlan---Tepic---Ahuacatlan---Tequila---Guadalajara

Ohh yeah-- listening to Traffic on the 210 in Pasadena, Ca while driving in front of the big Cathedral in the center of Guadalajara....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts