Traverse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my '09 Traverse for a month and a half now and love it! I have an LT2 with the navigation system and DVD player. I was just curious about the XM radio losing its signal. Does this happen to others? It usually happens to me when I am around taller buidlings in our town (the buildings are only three or four stories high) or in mountainous areas. It's also happened when I am under a roof at the gas station. Should this be happening? Or is there something amiss with my antenna?

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Ill give my 2 cents here...
and im basing it on my Sirius radio performance.
If youre around tall buildings- the signal will cut out-
anything that can block the sky can block the signal. Trees, gas station canopies etc....

In MAJOR cities- Sirius and XM have installed repeaters.
that is they are using these repeaters to send out the signal into the city- so that if you lose the signal from the sky- then it uses the signal from the repeaters.

Now- also- depending on where youre at in the US- it could be possible to lose the signal......
and ill give you an example- with the sirius satelite- its setup so that the satellite is pretty much overhead as long as youre in the US.
I drove to Guadalajara mexico- and listened to Sirius the entire way. Once I reached my destination- I was still able to listen to sirius when i was on the open road....
in the city- if I was on a narrow street- even a 1 story building could block the signal if I parked next to the curb-- why?
because the satellite was no longer overhead.
I had traveled south far enough- that the satellite was now about 30-35 degrees above the horizon- so a single story building could block the signal.

in XM's case-- I suspect its the same case.
Thought I believe that XM's satellites are also overhead--- but they travel/are positioned a little differently than those from Sirius.

Anyone travel far north(canada) and south (mexico) as to continue to pick up XM?

·
Registered
417 Posts
The thing most folks don't know is that the satellites used by XM (also used by Dish and DirecTV) are over the equator. So, if you drive on the North side of a tall obstruction you're more likely to get signal loss. The farther north you are, the worse it can be.

So, I suggest we all move to Cancun! :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Nothing wrong with your XM, that is what happens. I have sirius in my jeep and the same thing happens, even If I am doing 60mph and go under an overpass on the expressway it will cut out for 2-3 seconds. If I go under a gas station it goes dead :angryfire:

I recently drove to canada in my jeep (didnt want to put the miles on the new Traverse!) had no issues at all, drove from Detroit to Toronto. I assume it would be the same for XM as they are one company now. On a side note, I personally like Sirius better, anyone added "the best of sirius" package on their xm? I think it is like 3-5 bucks a month. I think our xm is free for a year? Or is that ford with sirius and GM is only 6 months?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everybody, thanks for the replies. I had a feeling that the XM cutting out was just because of the position of the vehicle in relation to the satellite they use. It was interesting in rbarrios's post about the repeaters being installed in cities. That makes a lot of sense, I was curious about how you kept the signal in a city with tall buildings. Now that I know that nothing is wrong with my antenna and XM reception I can rest a little easier.

Thanks!! ;D

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
xm is free for 3 months on GM.
I did add the sirius package to our impala. I wanted to listen to Howard Stern.

Also- I installed my Sirius portable radio into my Traverse- and im using the Aux Input.

Sirius and XM share stations- like the 80's station for example.
I can tune into the 80's on the sirius unit- and the press the band button to get to the 80's on the XM...
they are a bit out of syn-- but the XM sounds better.
Its probably the loss in quality in going from the sirius to its AUX OUT jack, out the cable and into the radios AUX in- and you get this loss that is quite pronounced when you compare the 2 with the push of a button... Its not BAD....but you can tell... but if you listen to talk--- it wont really matter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We couldnt use ours. XM doesnt catch in Hawaii :eek:hno:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts