Traverse Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I would love to see all three replaced but I don't think that will happen. I've been tracking where I have dropouts and time of day (seemed to be worse at night) to give to the dealer. I've never had any problems when the car was at the dealership.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I've had no problems with reception for the past several days now. My appointment has been moved to Thursday but now I'm wondering if I will have anything to show the dealer outside of the 3 pages of notes I've kept on the problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I went and talked to the dealer service department today and I still haven't had any more dropouts. I've cancelled my appointment for tomorrow and will wait till the problem reoccurs. I can't explain what happened. The audio dropouts were absolutely horrible at times and now they have been perfect for 4 days. One place where I could always get it to fail at the beginning of 2019 worked perfectly tonight. We will see what happens.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Problems started back up 5 days ago and I'm documenting things again. Today I added extension cables (FAKRA male to female) to each end of the antenna connector and put the connector where I join the extension cables on hte side of the cargo area. This way I don't have to pull down the headliner to change the connector for now. I also have the portable antenna on the roof and run down to the same part of the cargo area. It will be easy to change back/forth between the stock and the portable antenna assuming I can safely stop where I encounter drops. Maybe I can build up more ammunition for the dealer this way.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The problem is my antenna. I had issues at two locations where I stopped today. I connected the portable antenna and the problems cleared and to make sure, I reconnected the shark fin antenna. The problems came back until I reconnected the portable antenna. I am going to talk to the dealer before I make another appointment.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I had kept a log of all my troubleshooting to include locations where I had dropouts along with time of day listings. I emailed (service advisor, service manager, and director of operations) all of this to the dealership and asked what would be the next steps. After 2 weeks of not getting a response, I found an OEM antenna from a wrecked Traverse on ebay. I ordered it and installed it (after changing the black cover to the red one on my car) and haven't had any problems whatsoever since. After 3 weeks, I emailed the dealership and told them how disappointed I aas with their lack of response and how my 24-year history with them shouldn't continue. A day later I heard from the service manager saying that he was told that this was "taken care of" after my first mail. He also said they ordered a new antenna for me and would have it painted to match my car. I told him I took matters into my own hands after their utter lack of communication and obtained/replaced it already. He then said that they would pay me for what I did. I told him what my cost was and he said they would write me a check for at least that amount. He then came back and said they still wanted to replace the antenna with what they received. I agreed just to make sure everything is still under warranty and in case there is any type of leak. I will put the old one back on and let them replace it. Hopefully I can get this done relatively soon. I'm waiting for the right time since my granddaughter stays with me and she is out of school for a while with all this covid-19 stuff going on. Hopefully I will have another update to this thread soon.

Stay healthy everyone!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's too bad that you had to go through all this trouble. The dealerships always seem to be trying to avoid warranty work for some reason. Maybe they hope that their customers will just give-up.
I'm happy to see that you were able to fix it yourself and show them that you could do a better job than they could. Your dealership doesn't deserve your business anymore.

Again, well done! (y)

·
Registered
542 Posts
It's too bad that you had to go through all this trouble. The dealerships always seem to be trying to avoid warranty work for some reason. Maybe they hope that their customers will just give-up.
I'm happy to see that you were able to fix it yourself and show them that you could do a better job than they could. Your dealership doesn't deserve your business anymore.

Again, well done! (y)
Yes well done. And thank you for following up here with your resolution.
Imagine if GM had a database about all the customers that they lost because of poor dealer service department relations, they may wake up. Word of mouth advertising is the best you can get.
My .02 on the service departments is that the mechanics are on book rate pay. If the book says it will take .5 hours to troubleshoot your issue, then that's all that they will commit to and then maybe throw a part at it. Look at all the time that Aggie88 put into this issue, the mechanic wouldn't get paid for all that warranty work, and he would miss out on a bunch of smaller jobs getting in and out of his bay where he can bill 2 hours which take him 1-1.5. GM and the dealers have to look at Customer Satisfaction and take it more seriously.
The service advisers usually make a commission off the Mechanics labor and Parts, so they aren't going to be too sympathetic to a customer, as long as the mechanics get the billable hours out the door efficiently. The dealership is happy because they make a ton of money on service, possibly more then on the sale of a vehicle.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts