Traverse Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
On my 2017 absolutely perfect. The only time I loose the signal is when I run in a car wash otherwise always good. Must be related to your antenna signal being weak.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I drove around this morning including some places where the signal always drops and I didn't get a single drop out. Just to be clear, I don't get a "lost signal" message when this happens. The audio just stops. I still see the artist name and the song name but no audio.

I had been told last year that the XM module was under the dash by the steering wheel. There is a module up there with a couple of coax connectors as well as 2 electrical connectors. I pulled one of the coax connectors and connected a portable satellite radio antenna into it and let the antenna sit on my dash. There were still dropouts so I put the original connector back on. I did see a "CAL" in place of the compass direction on my dash until I plugged in the original connector. This must have been the GPS antenna. I also just disconnected the coax and the XM was still working so I thought I had the wrong connector. I disconnected the other one but still had s signal inside my garage so I didn't try the portable antenna in that connection. I'm not sure I was "looking" at the XM module now.

I'm assuming that when I disconnect the correct coax I will get a "check antenna" message and no reception. Can anyone confirm where the XM module is in the 2018 Traverse?

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've been looking more and I believe what I saw under the dash by the steering wheel was the onstar module. Parts I see for a 2018 Traverse show the two fakra coax connections. Would the XM signal go thru the Onstar module or would they be separate?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've been doing more research. I've looked at the standards for FAKRA connectors. The module to the left of steering wheel column behind the dash has two fakra connectors. Per how the tabs are configured and going by the fakra standards, one is for "Cellular" and the other is for "TV/SDARS Terrestrial". SDARS is Satellite Digital Audio Radio Service. There was a label on the SDARS Terrestrial line saying “IP_COAXNAVXM Split”, “IP_COAXNAVSPLIT”, and “IP_WIREHARNESS” When I look at the fakra standards there is also a plug for "SDARS Satellite" which I believe is for the actual satellite signal while the terrestrial one is for the terrestrial repeaters. I do not know if there is a "SDARS satellite" cable in the Traverse but I would think that there is. I have not dropped the headliner (never done that before) to see how many lines are coming from the antenna.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've been digging even more. I found a XM receiver module that has the "SDARS satellite" FAKRA connector on it. It is the type K or code 1027 in the previous post. I believe this is what I've been looking for all along. More research to come but maybe I can talk to my dealership parts guy to find the location in the vehicle. I just want to plug in my portable XM antenna (using a FAKRA adapter) to see if it has any affect on my XM signal.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've talked with the dealership parts guy and he provided me with a printout (#15 in the attached parts breakdown). The part number for mine is 84278545. It is located behind the glove box near the a-pillar on the passenger side. It is partly visible (I can see the part number on it) thru the gaps when I remove the side panel for the dash on the passenger side. I just have to figure out how to remove it or gain access to the connectors (by the bulkhead). I have the type "K" FAKRA connector adapter cable terminated with a connector for the old style antennas ready to try. I feel like I'm getting a lot closer.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I don't know if I did it the easiest way or not but I was able to get the antenna connector off the module after loosening the module so I could move it around some. I connected my adapter and the portable antenna. I kept seeing the "loading XM" message. Since I was short on time I put everything back to normal so I could pick up my granddaughter. I'll try again some other time. I've seen where some folks get the loading XM message until they turn their vehicle off and then everything is fine. I didn't read that until I put everything back together. That makes me want to try again when I have the time. I've learned a lot with this.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Things have gotten even worse. A lot of evenings I lose the audio for about half the time I'm riding around. Daytime seems okay. I drove to a basket ball game a few days ago and had perfect reception. Coming home on the same route and I lost audio for more than half the trip. I've looked at atmospheric conditions and there haven't been any inversions which may affect the signal. and sunspot activity isn't very strong (get to use some of my meteorological experiences). I have an appointment with the dealer next Tuesday and hopefully will be able to get them to check the antenna and connections behind the headliner/etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm really interested in what you find out and how it gets resolved. I've been having the same problem for quite some time as well. My XM will lose its signal for long periods of time. I've wondered whether it's the radio itself and considered replacing it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I try to keep this post updated for completeness with everything I find. Like you, I hope this problem can be resolved. It doesn't appear to be a wide-spread problem or it isn't documented if it is.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It just amazes me that the dealer isn't looking after this for you. You should take the service guy to a location where your radio cuts-out. Drive back to the dealership, pick-up a another traverse from the lot and bring it to the same location. This should show him that something isn't right with yours.

My satellite radio works better than any other vehicles that I've owned before. I even get reception in some multi level parking lots. I'm on the East Coast of Canada and the satellite is low on the horizon to the west and it still works great for me.

There is obviously something wrong with your radio, cabling or antenna.

Reactions: Aggie88

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I like your idea! I used to have a spot where I could almost always get a dropout. Lately it seems to be different areas and at night. I'll ride around some more before my appointment on Tuesday. I did buy an endoscope from Amazon so I could see things in cramped or inaccessible places. The connection on the XM receiver behind the glove box "looks ok." I also pulled down the gasket around the headliner at the lift gate so I could see the antenna. It looks clean from what I could see. I did see another cable near the XM antenna cable (can tell by the connection color of the FAKRA connector). I used a coat hanger to move the cable slightly away from the XM cable yesterday (a few inches of play in the cable). I didn't have any dropouts tonight but one night doesn't say much. I don't want to do anything that may cause warranty problems. More riding over the next couple of days to see if I can find a definite spot where I can get the dropouts. I do appreciate everyone's comments.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I cancelled XM radio and they tried to persuade me back, I told them to contact GM and fix the XM reception issues in my 2018 traverse and then I'd reconsider. My wifes 2012 fusion no drop outs, my 2018 traverse gets drop outs in same areas. I've read enough complaints, there is somthing concerning in the 2018 XM radio design.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have not had any dropouts since I moved one of the cables. Looking at the color code for the FAKRA connectors (black in this case) it looks like I moved the "radio" (AM/FM) line. I know coax cables are shielded but I'm speculating that there was some type of cross-modulation between the signals maybe where the connectors were. I went to the dealership this morning and asked them to check things. Everything worked well for them. They said the lines were moving back together and put a piece of foam between them to maintain the separation. I'm on my 5th day without any dropouts and am hoping it continues. I rarely went a day without one previously. I'll see how it goes and update this post at least once more. Thanks for everyone's advice/comments as I went through this process.

Reactions: prlx1967

·
Registered
291 Posts
Congrats! Excellent Troubleshooting on your part! It's too bad that one has to tell the dealer where the problem is though.

Thanks for the updates and perseverance. :thumb:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Congrats! Excellent Troubleshooting on your part! It's too bad that one has to tell the dealer where the problem is though.

Thanks for the updates and perseverance. :thumb:

At least they listened. Most dealers won’t listen to owners. I know mine won’t...each time I tell or show them anything I end up arguing for 1hr before they finally agree I am not an idiot. #Shrug

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The service advisor said something to the effect of "you have done the troubleshooting for us" when I checked in. I was happy they followed up on what I said.

Reactions: G.Frog

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
My fix lasted for about 10 months and the problem came back about 2 weeks ago. I've been moving cables to no avail. The problem was worse in the evenings. Sometimes I lost the audio for over 50 percent of my drive. Today I hooked up an old add-on antenna I had from a previous vehicle. I hooked it up at the antenna connection under the headliner and not at the XM module on the firewall behind the glove box. Lo and behold everything was perfect again. I'll leave it this way for a couple of days and then switch it back I have an appointment at the dealer next week so I'll let them know what I've found. I expect them to order a new shark fin antenna for me. I'll post back when I know more.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I switched back to the stock antenna this morning and wanted to see how it was working over this weekend before my appointment on Monday. Everything worked perfectly today. If it stays good, I'm not sure the dealer will be able to do anything for me.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I switched back to the stock antenna this morning and wanted to see how it was working over this weekend before my appointment on Monday. Everything worked perfectly today. If it stays good, I'm not sure the dealer will be able to do anything for me.
Your dropouts seems more than I have ever. Mine are always the same place in any car since the signal is blocked or power lines interfere with it.

I would think they should replace your head unit, cable, and antenna. It’s of of those 3 things.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts