Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Traverse 2 weeks ago and I have had intermittent problems with XM dropouts lasting more than a few seconds. This has happened on roads where I have a clear view of the sky, no "weather" is occurring, and nothing should be blocking the signal. I had XM resend a refresh signal (they asked that I turn the bluetooth on my phone off while doing it) and it seemed to work okay for a couple of days. Last night it was horrible as I had 30 second to 1 minute dropouts. I don't see a "lost signal" message. I have had Sirius or XM for the past 14 years and am aware of typical signal dropouts. Has anyone else experienced the same issues? I do plan on taking the car in to be checked when I can.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I read about T-mobile towers interfering last night. When I tried looking for T-mobile towers in the Omaha area, I couldn't find any. Would T-mobile be using some other carrier's towers?

My wife has a new vehicle with XM and she isn't experiencing any problems and my old car didn't have any dropouts. I'm not sure if everyone gets their XM modules from the same place or if GM makes its own or not.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The satellites used are very low on the southern horizon. A 100 ft high hill along the south side of a east west road blocks the XM signal to my vehicles and I am in Central California. Further north and the problem would be even greater.

I dislike subsidizing the for profit religious stations and right wing propaganda so I am not a fan of XM for that alone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My wife's Traverse will drop at startup and not work for days sometimes. We're in the Baltimore, MN area. We also tried the signal refresh with no improvement. We did notice that it has been better over the winter months then it was in summer/fall.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have this issue depending on the car, state, and location. My 2018 likes to cut out next to power lines so there are roads I drive down and just won’t pick up signal. There is an intersection I stop at almost weekly, if I stop behind the line by 3ft I get signal if I am on the line I lose it. Again power lines overhead.

My 2015 SS is the same in some areas but not all.

Signals from space can be tricky....it happens.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's frustrating because my Avalanche and Sky are both fine all the time. THe Traverse, not so much.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a Trailblazer that I installed a Sirius radio in and had an Infiniti with XM radio. My wife has a Highlander with XM in it. None of those vehicles experienced the dropouts I see in the Traverse. I do have an appointment next week to get it checked out. I'll let the dealer try things first. I'd like to use an aftermarket antenna I have for a portable unit temporarily to see if I can isolate things to the antenna or XM module.

Reactions: VinnieLTZ

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know the actual location of the XM module in the 2018 Traverse?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There isn't a separate jack compartment on the 2018. The jack is with the spare tire donut. The drivers side cargo area compartment on the wall has a fuse box and some "DENSO labeled" box in it (no antenna leads that I can see going to the box).

The dealer told me they found a bulletin and calibrated something over the phone. When I got to the dealership, they said the system was operating normally and gave me a copy of a bulletin that said to have two similar cars next to each other and see if they react the same. They said they drove it around some and where one cut out so did the other (interference of some type). The loaner car I had didn't cut out at all but I didn't follow them around to see if it happened to the car I had or not.

I will wait and see if it happens more and take it back if it does. I'd still like to find out where the XM module is so I can try an external antenna temporarily. I'll go ask the dealer if I can't find out anything online.

Reactions: VinnieLTZ

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For completeness: I haven't had any additional problems with XM since the visit to the dealer. I did find out that the XM module on the 2018 Traverse is to the left of the steering wheel and behind the dash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Roof rack

I picked up my Traverse 2 weeks ago and I have had intermittent problems with XM dropouts lasting more than a few seconds. This has happened on roads where I have a clear view of the sky, no "weather" is occurring, and nothing should be blocking the signal. I had XM resend a refresh signal (they asked that I turn the bluetooth on my phone off while doing it) and it seemed to work okay for a couple of days. Last night it was horrible as I had 30 second to 1 minute dropouts. I don't see a "lost signal" message. I have had Sirius or XM for the past 14 years and am aware of typical signal dropouts. Has anyone else experienced the same issues? I do plan on taking the car in to be checked when I can.
Do you have a roof rack? Sometimes they put it on the bar is right above the satellite radio antenna. Moving a couple of inches ahead or behind the antenna will help in many cases.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great thought but no, I do not have a roof rack. Thanks!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Aggie88 - is there anyway you can get some more information on this bulletin and calibration they did as I've had the same problem with our XM in certain areas here in Houston. It only seems to happen for select channels and will come and go while driving along the highway with clear skies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I rarely had any problems with XM radio in my Equinox. Sure it would cut out once in a great while, for a second or two. But after we bought the Traverse in December, I would notice delays of 30 seconds to several minutes. My husband even commented on how bad it was. It was not always in the same place, so we ruled out any towers nearby. I hated to think it was the Traverse itself! Besides, why would it happen in the Traverse and not the Equinox? I already have the Spotify family plan - maybe I will just stick to that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dave00 - the bulletin only deals with how to test the vehicle (compare to another comparably equipped vehicle) and nothing to do with any calibration. I will ask about the calibration the next time I can go in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Experiencing same issue.
'18 Traverse 3LT will get dropouts. Always seems to act up around certain areas. Have had it go silent for 3sec up to 15sec.
'12 Ford Fusion no issues.

I'm of belief that it's something inherent in the version designed into the traverse, maybe Antenna, weaker signal, cheaper receiver electronics, just don't know.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I checked with my dealer. The work tiket didn't have anything about the calibration on it. The only thing documented was the bulletin about how to check the car and that the car checked out okay. I do remember when I talked with SiriusXM that the dealership could do a hard reset of the system to "marry everything together" again. Maybe that is what they did. Sorry I couldn't find out anything more.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My dropouts are back with a vengeance. There are certain areas of town where I can duplicate the problem easily. I drove about 25 miles last night and would get dropouts on every song and sometimes up to a minute long. It has been absolutely horrible over the past month or so. I guess I'll have my dealer check it again when I go in for my next oil change.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts