Traverse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have crappy reception with the satellite antenna? I can drive by a 3 story building and it will go out. I have a sirius magnetic antenna on my other car and it hardly ever goes out, anywhere.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
XM and sirius have satellites in different places out in space.
So you cant really compare the 2.

The times that I had issues with my sirus antenna and 1 story buildings/trees causing issues--I was way down south in Guadalajara Mexico--- where the satellites were practically about 30-40 degrees above the horizon and not overhead.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I cant speak for everyone (obviously)

However I think the Traverse Reception is far far better then my sirius magnetic antenna on the other car. With sirius, if I drive under an over pass going 50 MPH it will cut out for 2-3 seconds, the traverse works in the garage with the garage door closed.

Maybe it has to do with where you live? Distance from Satelites?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im in NorCal. I have had Sirius since it first came out and always had great reception anywhere I went. With the XM on the Traverse, it really does cut out quite a bit.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
sirius has repeaters in some major metro areas.

so if the signal is lost via the satellite in the sky- the unit pics up the repeaters signal- and you get no loss in transmission.
My little portable car unit- you can toggle to a screen- where it shows you the strenght of the satellite and the repeater signals.

But even here in LA-- there are some tunners that are long- where I do lose the signal.

I would think XM also has repeaters.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I elected not to renew my XM after the trial period due the poor reception. I barely listened to it and when I did it would cut out when behind groves of tall trees or in mountain valleys. That ~$10/month for me is better spent on buying CD's to rip and copy to my USB stick which is working just great in my LT2.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Carl_NDelta said:
I elected not to renew my XM after the trial period due the poor reception. I barely listened to it and when I did it would cut out when behind groves of tall trees or in mountain valleys. That ~$10/month for me is better spent on buying CD's to rip and copy to my USB stick which is working just great in my LT2.
I can understand that, you could also use I-tunes and download 10 songs a month, you would build a good collection of songs in no time. Personally, I listen to XM/Sirius for one thing.... Howard Stern. Without him I'm canceling.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
HA! me too... I LOVE hearing the NEWs- with Robin.. as I drive into work.

Stuck in rush hr traffic--- but if youre laughing-- its much more bearable...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been an XM subscriber for around 10 years. Having been in the same area and having also had sirius in a 03 Inf.FX35 I noticed the improvement in XM coverage as the built up their infrastructure while the sirius was ok in winter but when there were leaves in the trees - not so good. XM has been great until the "merger" now I notice the coverage has declined. I suppose the transponders that XM installed cost too much to run and maintain so they have probably shut them down. All in all the coverage is the same in my Silverado and Traverse so I don't believe it is so much an antenna issue as a transmission of signal issue. at least in the NY-NJ area. I also would'nt be without it though.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Coverage for us has been decent overall, but there are times it will cut out even in "clear" areas. We may keep it after the trial period is over if I can get some sort of deal on it. I like that they added Pearl Jam Radio last month, it's like having my iPod in there :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
You know in large cities XM uses air reception instead of satellite reception. If you live in a large city notice that you can go into tunnels and under bridges and still have perfect reception. But if you travel to rural areas the reception goes out under trees or near buildings. XM realized that cities have a lot of barriers to Satellite reception so they did this and it works GREAT... They would not have nearly the customer base if they used Satellite reception alone...

The antenna on my Trav works great, I have no complaints. I have had 3 different add on units and this OEM antenna and system is atleast on par with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've noticed poor reception on my Outlook. I'm not familiar with XM (never had it before) but after seeing how much it cuts out under bridges, too many trees, etc. it made no sense to pay for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts