Traverse Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had an issue with the XM antenna mounted on top of Traverse in car wash? Is it safe to Take Traverse to nice carwash with the cloth rags? That antenna is not coming off, right?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Antenna doesn't come off .... won't come off in cloth strip car washes.

Bob

·
Registered
551 Posts
If you are going thru a car wash that has the potential to take off your antenna, you shouldnt be driving your new car thru it! My opinion is touchless only, or wash it yourself. Car washes scratch your car, think about the dirty landscaper that just drove his truck thru.... your next! After a touchless wash, just take 2 minutes to dry off the car with a clean towel, not one that 200 cars behind you have used, and you are all set. Just my opinion

·
Registered
407 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
If you are going thru a car wash that has the potential to take off your antenna, you shouldnt be driving your new car thru it! My opinion is touchless only, or wash it yourself. Car washes scratch your car, think about the dirty landscaper that just drove his truck thru.... your next! After a touchless wash, just take 2 minutes to dry off the car with a clean towel, not one that 200 cars behind you have used, and you are all set. Just my opinion
Depends on where you go. We've been taking our cars thru automatic car washes for years, and never got any scratches. They should spray off the vehicles (prep, to use car wash terms) before sending thru the wash, and the real dirty cars usually are sitting there for a longer time while the workers spray off all the mud/dirt. As for antennas, the one on top of our Enclave is fine, it's small and flexible, but if you have a standard antenna on any other vehicle, the ones that are on the fenders like our truck had, it's best to remove those.

·
Registered
551 Posts
09Enclave said:
Depends on where you go. We've been taking our cars thru automatic car washes for years, and never got any scratches. They should spray off the vehicles (prep, to use car wash terms) before sending thru the wash, and the real dirty cars usually are sitting there for a longer time while the workers spray off all the mud/dirt. As for antennas, the one on top of our Enclave is fine, it's small and flexible, but if you have a standard antenna on any other vehicle, the ones that are on the fenders like our truck had, it's best to remove those.
Any car wash that has spinning brushes or strips that come down on your car has the potential to scratch your car, that is a fact. I am glad you dont have any scratches, but it still has the potential to scratch. Not to mention if they dry your car, they use the same towels almost all day, it only takes one small piece of dirt or rock to scratch. I am anal about my car! If I go to a spray wash where you do the washing, I wont use the brush unless I spray it down to make sure no rocks or dirt are stuck in there.

Nothing wrong with touch carwashes, just not for me. :beer: If you go thru a touchless and dry the car yourself you will get better results anyway, plus no potential for scratches.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The one we go thru doens't have "towel boys", only air blowers. doesn't get every drop off, but no scratches from the towels. As for the "brushes", the one we go thru has very soft looking chamois type material spinning on the car. May look like it could scratch, but never does. However, I'm not saying all car washes are all good, it's up to you to look carefully at what wash you take yours thru. For example, in my area there are two washes, same name, but the one has rotaters for the hood and top, which I won't take the Enclave thru because of the antenna and the roof side rails, but on our Bonneville, it came out just fine. Luckily we took the Bonnie thru first at that location, never thought it would be different then the other place we go thru all the time.

As for the comment about the towels being the same all day....that's next to impossible. Way back when I worked at a car wash....toweling the cars, and the towels would get very wet after just a few cars, so we had to keep using fresh towels.

·
Registered
551 Posts
09Enclave said:
The one we go thru doens't have "towel boys", only air blowers. doesn't get every drop off, but no scratches from the towels. As for the "brushes", the one we go thru has very soft looking chamois type material spinning on the car. May look like it could scratch, but never does. However, I'm not saying all car washes are all good, it's up to you to look carefully at what wash you take yours thru. For example, in my area there are two washes, same name, but the one has rotaters for the hood and top, which I won't take the Enclave thru because of the antenna and the roof side rails, but on our Bonneville, it came out just fine. Luckily we took the Bonnie thru first at that location, never thought it would be different then the other place we go thru all the time.

As for the comment about the towels being the same all day....that's next to impossible. Way back when I worked at a car wash....toweling the cars, and the towels would get very wet after just a few cars, so we had to keep using fresh towels.
Obviously using the same towel all day is an exaggeration.

You must have the best car wash on the face of the earth, I am not doubhting you, however I still dont think you can say that car wash is better for your car then going thru a touch free car wash. Sorry not going to buy it. Not trying to argue with you, just saying that most people, if they dont have this amazing car wash that you have, run the risk of scratching their car using a regualr car wash. To me, I own the car and plan on keeping it for a long time, I choose to either use touch free and drive or take the time to hand wash.

besides the fact that we are now off topic! :cheers:

·
Registered
47 Posts
i used to be a design enginer for an antenna company that supplied the big 3 +. The amount of testing that these cars goes through now for carwash testing is insane (or good if you're the consumer :thumb:). All of the munuf's have "killer" carwashes that will show any trim items that have susceptibilities to car wash brushes. We have more than a few redesigns due to car wash test results.

More design effort went into the powder coating and wind tunnel testing but car washes were a close third. I would have no worries about the antenna surviving.

·
Registered
407 Posts
uestoin

Tiestosteele said:
Obviously using the same towel all day is an exaggeration.

You must have the best car wash on the face of the earth, I am not doubhting you, however I still dont think you can say that car wash is better for your car then going thru a touch free car wash. Sorry not going to buy it. Not trying to argue with you, just saying that most people, if they dont have this amazing car wash that you have, run the risk of scratching their car using a regualr car wash. To me, I own the car and plan on keeping it for a long time, I choose to either use touch free and drive or take the time to hand wash.

besides the fact that we are now off topic! :cheers:
Touch free washes will be better for the finish over time, but do they really work at getting it clean? Q: Do you mean the hand spray washes, or the ones you drive in, and it just sprays water on you? Wouldn't you have to sponge off the vehicle before, or during to get all the dirt off? I've found that if I take mine, and use the spray power wash, do-it-yourself coin one, it won't get the car clean just spraying it....and I'm assuming these "touch free" drive thru would do the same, or do they have some sort of chemical they are using that works better? And if so, is THAT safe on the finish? As for keeping the car and owning it...you and me both, my friend....I plan on keeping our Enclave for 10 to 15 years, give or take. I'm VERY careful with it, and am probably the most OCD about it than most owners, that being said....I assure you I wouldn't take it thru a wash that did anything to harm it. Also, I don't have a very dark color, it's the silver green (silver moss for Traverse owners), and it's pretty forgiving. Our other car is a darker gray color, and the truck we had before the Enclave was forest green, and very dark....it never got any visable scratches from the wash we use. I really don't think we have that unique of a car wash, but I guess I'll consider myself lucky, it must be in the top 10 % of good quality washes.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Re: uestoin

09Enclave said:
Touch free washes will be better for the finish over time, but do they really work at getting it clean? Q: Do you mean the hand spray washes, or the ones you drive in, and it just sprays water on you? Wouldn't you have to sponge off the vehicle before, or during to get all the dirt off? I've found that if I take mine, and use the spray power wash, do-it-yourself coin one, it won't get the car clean just spraying it....and I'm assuming these "touch free" drive thru would do the same, or do they have some sort of chemical they are using that works better? And if so, is THAT safe on the finish? As for keeping the car and owning it...you and me both, my friend....I plan on keeping our Enclave for 10 to 15 years, give or take. I'm VERY careful with it, and am probably the most OCD about it than most owners, that being said....I assure you I wouldn't take it thru a wash that did anything to harm it. Also, I don't have a very dark color, it's the silver green (silver moss for Traverse owners), and it's pretty forgiving. Our other car is a darker gray color, and the truck we had before the Enclave was forest green, and very dark....it never got any visable scratches from the wash we use. I really don't think we have that unique of a car wash, but I guess I'll consider myself lucky, it must be in the top 10 % of good quality washes.
I have always had dark cars, and that makes a huge difference as you stated. I use both the touch free drive in (more often) and the spay yourself carwash. Yes, they both do a great job if the car is semi dirty, not if the car is very dirty.... my car is never very dirty! I use one or the other at leaset twice a week, keeping it shinny as new. I also have quick spray mist, it is like a clear coat wax that you can apply wet or dry to the car, it also helps to get the dirt off next wash. I spay that on after the wash and before I dry it to make it feel like glass and smooth.

In the event my car was very dirty I would wash it at home, the proper way. My only point was people should be careful if they drive thru a shady touch carwash as it can very easily scratch your car.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Touch or Touchless, wash by hand and you'll get the job done right. I only use carwashes when I'm too busy to stop to do it right.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm too nervous to take the Traverse through a car wash yet!!! Hand washing or touchless for now.....

·
Registered
407 Posts
cmarcho said:
I'm too nervous to take the Traverse through a car wash yet!!! Hand washing or touchless for now.....
I have no choice, I live in MI...and with the winter weather we get, it's impossible to hand wash in the cold. When I got mine last year, I hand washed it from July till about late Sept., then it was automatic washes from there on. Never got a chance to hand wash it this summer, too busy...just ran it thru about 2 or 3 times per month.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree, here in upstate NY where they salt the roads almost daily, I use the touchless auto. during the winter 1 or 2 times a week. I figure its better than not doing anything at all. The good auto ones have the under car wash as well. In the spring time I drop the spare tire on my cars and get the pressure washer going. I put the car on ramps and give it a good cleaning.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here in Illinois around this time of the year we run into alot of bugs on the Interstates. So I like to clay bar the nose and the rocker panel area every 2 weeks. Then I will take it to the local Gas City car wash (touchless) for a bath.

·
Registered
551 Posts
orlandjoe said:
Here in Illinois around this time of the year we run into alot of bugs on the Interstates. So I like to clay bar the nose and the rocker panel area every 2 weeks. Then I will take it to the local Gas City car wash (touchless) for a bath.
I use touchless gas stations a lot as well, good for in between washes. You have to find the right carwash, a good touchless car wash is worth the price and the drive (I drive past three closer washes to get to mine). It sprays under the car as well as high pressure wash, and good blowers, some of the touchless washes dont have enough power!

The car wash I go to always has a line like 10 cars deep for the touch wash, but no one at the touchless wash. If these people were not so lazy and dried the car themselves not only would the car look nicer, but it would be faster then waiting in that line!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts