Traverse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems the most common issues on the new GEN2 Traverses are:
1) transmission studder (tranny fluid/torque convertor)
2) Shift to Park Issue (wiring/switch defect in the shifter)

Curious if anyone has an idea when these issues were finally fixed in the production cycle?
Seem the majority of theses 2 issues reported here, occured on '18 models

FYI - I may be jinxing myself;
For reference ours is a 19 AWD, built in Nov 18. Have had vehicle 1yr., (only 6K miles) so far none of the above issues (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
159 Posts
We had our '18 Traverse for 24k miles and never had any issues...just oil changes and tire rotations.

The door seals were noisy though, IMO, in the summer.....causing the doors to make a creaking like noise, but I never took it to the dealer for it or did anything about it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We had our '18 Traverse for 24k miles and never had any issues...just oil changes and tire rotations.

The door seals were noisy though, IMO, in the summer.....causing the doors to make a creaking like noise, but I never took it to the dealer for it or did anything about it.
You just need to take a terry cloth or cotton towel and open all of your doors and wipe both the door seals and where they meet the car body clean.

I had the same issue and narrowed it down to that. I used dry silicone lube at first and then realized it wasn't necessary. It always occurs after it rains/snows/etc. It seems it washes the dirt and grime along those seals and that's what you hear being rubbed and squeaked when the car rocks or moves.

Also, be sure you also wipe down the felt seal at the lip edge of the doors.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Referring back to the title - How about a simple poll for the two bigger well-known problems;

As for format how about the following (I'll go first).
If everyone were to comment as follows, we could probably gather enough simple data to know when the factory resolved these issues?

• 2019 LT AWD, 6000 miles, build date Nov. '18
  • Issue #1 Tranny studder? no problems yet
  • issue #2 Shift to park? no problems yet

·
Registered
159 Posts
You just need to take a terry cloth or cotton towel and open all of your doors and wipe both the door seals and where they meet the car body clean.

I had the same issue and narrowed it down to that. I used dry silicone lube at first and then realized it wasn't necessary. It always occurs after it rains/snows/etc. It seems it washes the dirt and grime along those seals and that's what you hear being rubbed and squeaked when the car rocks or moves.

Also, be sure you also wipe down the felt seal at the lip edge of the doors.
I always washed the door jams & the door seals (and dried them), but it was always in the summer that it would be loud/annoying

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always washed the door jams & the door seals (and dried them), but it was always in the summer that it would be loud/annoying
I too have always wiped down the seals but still encounter the creaking. It rarely snows in our area as well, so there really isn't much in the way of road salt & sand from winter driving. I continue to use the dry lube on the felt section of the door - usually once every couple months, which takes care of it for me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So it seems the most common issues on the new GEN2 Traverses are:
1) transmission studder (tranny fluid/torque convertor)
2) Shift to Park Issue (wiring/switch defect in the shifter)
Don't forget about the entire rear end needing replacement. My 2018 had it done at about 25K miles.
Now 2 months later at 28K miles it's in the shop for the shifter to be replaced...

·
Registered
242 Posts
  • Issue #1 Tranny studder? no problems yet
  • issue #2 Shift to park? no problems yet
Those were the two main issues that affected my 2018 Traverse.

There were a few other small common things like door squeak, weak floor vent and the 2200 rpm growl when the engine is cold. No car is perfect. The small stuff I can live with.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
G.Frog,

Thank You - Exactly what I was looking for !!
Perhaps others will come back here and list their build dates

·
Registered
62 Posts
G.Frog,

Thank You - Exactly what I was looking for !!
Perhaps others will come back here and list their build dates
According to the sticker:
GMLBL_PROD_0036 - 09/17/2017
Final Assembly: Lansing, MI USA
Engine and Transmission: México
Purchased 02/03/2018

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The issue #2 Shift to park? affects only pre Oct '18 production

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
According to the sticker:
GMLBL_PROD_0036 - 09/17/2017
Final Assembly: Lansing, MI USA
Engine and Transmission: México
Purchased 02/03/2018
I'm not sure what the GMLBL_PROD_0036 on the date references on the Monroney sticker, but it isn't the build date of the vehicle. The GMLBL_PROD_0036 for my Traverse lists 5-19-2019 as the date; the build sheet for the vehicle gives the build date as January 14, 2020. The build sheet and build date was provided by my dealer's service department. The driver's door sticker shows 01/2020.

Check the sticker on your driver's door; it will give the month and year of your vehicle's production--just won't give the exact date.

My personal opinion--I believe the GMLBL_PROD_0036 is "GM LABEL PRODUCT 0036" - with a form revision date of 5-19-2019.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
There's one common issue on first two months production that never should have been corrected - told the dealer mine works fine and to leave it alone.

Early 2018 production came with an auto open lever for the sunshade on the front sunroof. Hit yhe button, the shade auto retracts along with the sunroof. The lever lacked a felt cushion to lift the teeth off the end oif the button. Chevy solution? remove the auto retract lever and manually retract the shade. My solution add a 2 cent piece of felt enlarging the lever and it has worked just fine for over 2-1/2 years.
DSCN0271.JPG
DSCN0272.JPG

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not sure what the GMLBL_PROD_0036 on the date references on the Monroney sticker, but it isn't the build date of the vehicle. The GMLBL_PROD_0036 for my Traverse lists 5-19-2019 as the date; the build sheet for the vehicle gives the build date as January 14, 2020. The build sheet and build date was provided by my dealer's service department. The driver's door sticker shows 01/2020.

Check the sticker on your driver's door; it will give the month and year of your vehicle's production--just won't give the exact date.
You are correct, the door simply states; 11/17...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts