Traverse Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I use Baldwin filters now, made by Parker, the fluid people. I believe their quality control it top notch.

I am going to get rid of all my non Baldwins that are on the shelf when I get home.
I know @AlisoBob posted a lot of really good information about Baldwin filters, he's got me about to convert if I can find them readily in my area.

Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
That has nothing to do with that WIX, splitting right down the seam.
True but my Wix on my 3.6 Equinox and my 5.3 were seeping oil in subzero weather. I had to crank them down more than one turn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thought I would change my oil and transmission fluid today, went and bought a Wix oil filter yesterday in preparation. Drained and refilled the transmission, drained and refilled the engine oil and swapped out my filter. Then, I started the car and got ready to shift the transmission slowly between all gears in order to let the fluid cycle.

I noticed a little squeaking noise from the engine but really didn't think much of it, and then I got a warning message on my DIC stating that I had lost oil pressure and to shut off the engine. Glad I did, because I got out and had lost all my engine oil. EVERYWHERE. I mean it was a mess. At first I wondered if the old oil filter gasket may have been stuck to the engine, but I examined the old one and that wasn't the case. Did I not tighten the filter enough?

Took the new filter that I had just installed off the engine, and saw a catastrophic failure as shown in the picture. Not only was it a complete mess, but all that new Mobil 1 5-W30 wasted too. I'm pretty bummed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I have never had a Wix filter fail and it really looks like it was over tightened. It really is a pain to change the filter on my 2017 and it is very easy to screw it up. Been an automotive tech for 35 years and that is my opinion.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Funny, I was so dumbfounded when it happened, I figured the opposite. I never tighten oil filters down too much, just a little bit past hand tight, about a 1/4 turn. So, since I also had never heard of a WIX failure either, and as oil was gushing all over my garage floor, I panicked. After checking that the gasket was on my old filter to eliminate the old double gasket mishap, the first thing I did was tighten it a lot more. I mean, by hand, but still I really snugged it on there.

It was at that point that I thought better of putting 6 more quarts in there and trying again. So I unscrewed it to inspect the filter right away. So I would say that any appearance of being overtightened happened AFTER the failure, and therefore the 2 are completely unrelated. I am convinced that this was just a flat out filter failure.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts