Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would change my oil and transmission fluid today, went and bought a Wix oil filter yesterday in preparation. Drained and refilled the transmission, drained and refilled the engine oil and swapped out my filter. Then, I started the car and got ready to shift the transmission slowly between all gears in order to let the fluid cycle.

I noticed a little squeaking noise from the engine but really didn't think much of it, and then I got a warning message on my DIC stating that I had lost oil pressure and to shut off the engine. Glad I did, because I got out and had lost all my engine oil. EVERYWHERE. I mean it was a mess. At first I wondered if the old oil filter gasket may have been stuck to the engine, but I examined the old one and that wasn't the case. Did I not tighten the filter enough?

Took the new filter that I had just installed off the engine, and saw a catastrophic failure as shown in the picture. Not only was it a complete mess, but all that new Mobil 1 5-W30 wasted too. I'm pretty bummed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
I've used Wix for a few years now but no more. I had an issue with the filter gasket leaking on my 3.6 Equinox and my 5.3 Tahoe in this super cold winter. My filters were on tight, I've got technician grip, but they seeped in low temps. I had to use the filter wrench to tighten and stop the seeping.
Looks like since Mann bought them, they have turned to junk, at least the gasket quality on mine now a can blow out being reported which is normally unheard of on a stock motor.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Well that's a bummer, Wix was one of the more trusted names after Fram became junk ~20 years ago. OTOH you used to have to search a bit to find Wix sold at parts stores, I have noticed the past few years they seem to have replaced Fram as the common offering, which makes me wonder along the lines of what repairman said, they're churning out cheap junk now instead of a premium filter.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the garage mostly cleaned up, will need to use some kind of degreaser on the floor. Probably on the Traverse too, it was everywhere lol. I parked it on the street with some cardboard under it for a few hours to try and catch most of it.

Which reminds me, what brand of oil filter are we all using these days? Delco?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Got the garage mostly cleaned up, will need to use some kind of degreaser on the floor. Probably on the Traverse too, it was everywhere lol. I parked it on the street with some cardboard under it for a few hours to try and catch most of it.

Which reminds me, what brand of oil filter are we all using these days? Delco?
Jack the front end up for an hour or two then the rear... just to catch the stuff that may roll off on inclines. I'd consider an undercarriage wash at a car washing center as well.

One note - oil leak/splatter kept the underside of my '61 Impala pristine, so while it's annoying to work on things that are oily it's a lot better than rusty.

I've been using Mobil1. I hear they've been cheapened as well recently but I'll likely continue to stick with the devil I know until I have a reason to do otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
AC Gold filters are my go-to now for my GM fleet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would contact them and show them.
They may want the filter back.
Just in case some damage was done to engine
Definitely do this. Most companies will want to examine their defective product and will usually issue a call tag so you do not even have to pay to ship it. There's also a good chance they will offer you free product as compensation, but the question is would you trust it again?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use Fram Ultra Synthetic (XG10575) and the Fram Titanium (FS10575) which is the same thing, just Advanced Auto’s version of the Ultra Syn and only sold there.
Fram has 3-4 tiers of filters and that is their high end type. I’ve watched many informative videos on YouTube about these where they are opened up and compared to other top brands, with oil analysis done at Blackstone Labs.

I gave up on Fram after I was a faithful user in the 90’s into the early 2000’s, but they again have a quality product.

You can find them cheap ($10) on Amazon or at Walmart. Advance has deals often and a 15% all the time deal to get the Titanium close to $10 as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got a Delco oil filter on Amazon for about $10, along with another 5 quarts of transmission fluid for my 2nd drain/fill. I actually exchanged the failed Wix filter to O'Reilly's, but I agree that I should let them know about it. They probably owe me 6 quarts of 5-W30 to be honest lol. I do have the new Wix filter they gave me in exchange on the car now, so far so good. But it will be the last one I use, and probably the last one I use on my wife's RAV 4 (although those are just a cartridge, but now it's principal lol) and probably the last one my father in law uses, too. I'm just glad it happened in the garage in retrospect, better to have some mess to clean up than have my engine go bang on the freeway on my way to work.

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
There was a member on here who lost their engine.
oil filter sent to manufacturer to get analyzed and the company replaced his engine

• Wow
Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I use Baldwin filters now, made by Parker, the fluid people. I believe their quality control it top notch.

I am going to get rid of all my non Baldwins that are on the shelf when I get home.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts