Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO ALL....Just pick up my Traverse last night and I love it already. I do have a couple of technical questions about the wiring harness and I hope someone has the right answers for me. I do have the full trailer package.

1)I know the supplied harness plugs in under the dash on the drivers side but exactly where. I have looked and before I start pulling the under cover off maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

2)The wiring harness is for the brake controller, BUT, is the Traverse already wired so that my trailer battery charges while I am driving. My 02 Montanna had the round plug (I think its called a six pin) and it did charge the trailer battery.

Any help would be great.

Dale

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can answer the first question with certainty as I have already done it
Remove the three two-part plastic plugs (easing out the centre part will release the plug) that secure the close out panel.
You will find a grey socket taped up to a large wiring loom just to the left of the steering column with the input wires facing you. Untape that socket to allow access for the trailer wiring loom to be plugged in. Make sure the four wires are correctly attached to the brake controller - My controller had completely different colour code.

Regarding the second question, I have no need for auxilliary 12v but I think you will find the centre pin is constant 12v

Hope this helps

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MartinC......Thanks for the info, found it straight away. Now I have everything hooked up but the brake controller is still dead. So, contrary to what I read on the acadia web site, I assume the wires under the fuse box in the engine compartment need to be hooked up to get me power. Any idea on this one?

·
Registered
78 Posts
From my experience, no further connections are required on the Traverse.
What do you mean the controller is dead? Stupid question but have you hooked up your trailer? My controller does not show any lights until this is done. Also, make sure the 7-pin circuit diagrams match.
best of luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I had the contoller on my Montanna every time I put my foot on the pedal a small red light would come on, didn't matter whether the trailer was hooked up or not. Now I have nothing. I guess this is way for the driver know that a fuse has not blown or something. The manual does say that two wires have to be hooked up at the fuse box under the hood inorder for power to be sent to the contoller, but so far I haven't been able to find them. I'm a little hesitant to pull the entire fuse box out to get to the underside (although there are clips all the way around) so I thought I would ask around.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Campsite, I'm sorry you are still having trouble. All I can say is that, despite that note in the manual, the controller I fitted (after it having given good service for 12 years in my Tahoe) worked straight away. I also would be very wary of digging around under that fuse box. I would suggest you recheck to make sure you have made the correct connections. As I said before, the colour coding on my controller wires (apart from the blue trailer brake wire) were completely different from the codes given in the manual for the trailer harness. Also, perhaps it would be a good idea to check the fuses related to this circuit.
I'm sorry I can't be of more help

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for your replys....All the other connections work fine..left,right,stop light and running lights, its just the brake controller with no power. I have to go to the dealer tomorrow anyways so I'll get their 2cents about this. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I look forward to hearing the outcome. By the way, I have just re-read that remark in the manual about the fuse being fitted but the trailer brake not wired up. That was related to the trailer brake pin in the rear 7 pin connector and, when you think about it, of course it's not wired up because the controller has not been fitted yet! So, keep away from that big fuse box!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PROBLEM SOLVED...TOOK IT TO THE DEALER TODAY AND THEY DISCOVERED THAT THE FUSE FOR THE BRAKE CONTROLLER IN THE FUSE BOX WAS DEFECTIVE. IT DIDN'T LOOK BLOWN, BUT THERE WAS NO POWER. NEW FUSE PUT, AND THE BRAKE CONTROLLER SHOWED SIGNS OF LIFE. GOING TO TAKE THE TRAILER OUT TOMORROW AND SEE HOW IT WORKS.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INPUT.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Page 4-34 of your manual:

• Red/Black: Power Supply
• White: Brake Switch Signal
• Gray: Illumination
• Dark Blue: Trailer Brake Signal
• Black: Ground

1 - 11 of 11 Posts