Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at winter rims and tires. Has anyone purchased a rim tire combo? What size rims and tires did you purchase? I’m driving a Redline. My dealership is offering a 17 inch package with TPMS for under $1400 cdn plus taxes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
After shopping around for a long time to find winter wheels and good winter tires that would fit, I couldn't find anything that I liked.

I bought four 20" Bridgestone Blizzaks DM-V2 for my 2018 Redline and just had them installed on my 20" Redline wheels. The Blizzaks at Costco at the time were about $235 each.

Costco charges $15 per tire to remove the summers and install the winters, balance and fill with nitrogen. $60 in the fall, $60 in the spring and I don't even have to do it myself. Works for me.

The Blizzaks are awesome in the type of snow that we get in Nova Scotia. I love to go out for a drive during snow storms and never got stuck anywhere with Blizzaks.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tires from the dealership are Firestone Winterforce 2. 255 70 17

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
These Firestone winterforce 2 are the one I have. The proper size in the 17 inches rims is 265/70/17 to match the 18 inches rims. They are the recommended size if your tires are equipped with the 18 inches rims.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The package is convenient to be able you get it from the dealer but it may be a bit high. If you were to shop around online you may do better. What kind of wheels are they providing? If you were to go to tirerack.com you can get a steel wheel, Winterforce 2 package, shipped in the states for less than $900 US, no TPS though. I don't know if they will ship to Canada but you may want to try Canadian tire. You can also go down to a 245, narrower widths cut through snow rather than plowing.
I had the Winterforce previous model on two of my vehicles in the past, they were a bit noisier than my Blizzacks. I am shopping for 19" winters tires now and am leaning towards the Michelin X ice. I have a second set of alloy 19" rims so I will be paying between 800 and & 900 $ just for the tires, you are fortunate to be able to get a smaller diameter.
Whatever tire you get it, the truck will drive awesome in the snow.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I paid for my Winterforce, rims, balanced a bit over $1200 cdn. The rims are made in Brazil and are very prone to rusting. They look like mag wheels. Already had to paint them with Tremclad rust paint. Rims are 17" and tires are 265/65/17. These were bought at my GM dealer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I found on Ebay a brand new pair of 20" LTZ Wheels and Tires with factory Bridgstones not hem. Then used my original 20" LTZ wheels that had a nick one one of the spokes and put Blizzaks on them as are mentioned above. They, when new to about the third season, are like tank treads with the AWD Traverse. Loved them so much - just ordered new set and put them on this rims and will be changing over to the "winter set" next month (sooner if snow keeps up like it hit here in Chicago today). Is also time for new non-winter tires once summer is over ... Noticed there is a new Bridgestone at Tire Rack, better reviews than the OEM. Anyone have better experience with their summer 20" tires than the factory BRidgestones?

·
Registered
485 Posts
The ratings on the Blizzaks are a little better than the Michelin X Ice, I believe I am going to order them tomorrow. A local tire shop is competitive with Tirerack so they will come out the same price because I need to have them mount and balance them anyway.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I just ordered the Blizzaks. Two weeks ago they quoted me $235 installed, today it was $200 with lifetime Rotation. :) lets see what the price actually is when they come in on November 11.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Had them put on today, unfortunately the price was a bit higher than the two quotes. :( Oh well I knew it was too good to be true. That's what happens when you deal with 3 different people and don't get a printed quote. Bridgestone has a rebate promotion which Costco is offering, I will try to see if they honor it across other retailers.
Anyway they are just slightly noisier then the Michelin latitude Tours which are my 3 season tires, but that is the trade off for the awesome snow traction. Bring on Winter!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
What! I hate winter. We are in winter already since November the 15th until mid April.= 6 long months..

·
Registered
57 Posts
My x-ice tires are a teeny bit noisier. The interesting thing is that my highway gas mileage improves when I have winter wheels and tires on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
This is very unusual. The winter tires are causing more friction on the ground because of the tire gum composition. I loose aprx one mile per gallon with my winter tires compared with my summer tires. The more hard the gum the better your gas milleage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is very unusual. The winter tires are causing more friction on the ground because of the tire gum composition. I loose aprx one mile per gallon with my winter tires compared with my summer tires. The more hard the gum the better your gas milleage.

Capucine, that is my previous experience too. The only thing I can think of is the snow tire wheel combo are lighter than the OEM wheels and tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts