Traverse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we finally got the first big snow storm of the winter here in Calgary, 12- 17 cm of snow temps have fallen down in the last three days with the

high being -16 celsius or 3.2 Fahrenheit , evening temps falling to -23 C (-9.4 F) tonight .

The roads have a half inch of ice on most main and side streets with the highways having blowing snow covering the roads about 5 cm of snow with ice.

The good news is the AWD drives works excellent in these conditions all sorts of traction is found with the Goodyear tires. The stability control works very well too , it corrected the vehicle

when it started to slide during a left hand turn very amazing system GM. The ABS system works very good and helps instill confidence into the driver along with the stability control system.

It's amazing how firmly planted the vehicle feels on the road even in these winter conditions , job well done GM we REALLY love our Traverse ;D :thumb:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yes I was impressed at how well the FWD did as well. We opted out as in southern Ontario we just don't get enough snow to bother with the AWD. But I have been out in Calgary and seen your snow... I also have been in northern BC for big storm and got snowed into the town as the roads out were closed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is great to hear. I'm excited to get some snow and test our new AWD out. Thanks.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Glad to hear you're enjoying success with your Traverse in early winter.

I had our Bridgestones siped right after we got the car and even our 20s (shorter sidewall and less sidewall flex) have done remarkably well in even some of the worst conditions we've seen in Colorado in a long time. We even drove through a spring blizzard from the AZ/NM border all the way to Fort Collins, Colorado (about 600 miles), even over treacherous Raton Pass. We saw numerous cars, trucks, SUVs, and semi-tractors off the road and on their roofs. The Traverse never flinched and made a believer out of me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just purchased the AWD Traverse and you know it, we had freezing rain and snow. Drove into work with no problem at all.
Wheels did not spin once. Very pleased with this vehicle so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have AWD drive this year and I love it!! I had a 2009 LS FWD that we purchased new and I traded this summer because I had such hard time in the winter-granted we had a lot of snow but getting stuck and needing a tow doesn't work for me. So the AWD gets 2 thumbs up!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Since I live in the midwest.. it is almost mandatory to have 4wd or AWD. There is no other way to go or get around in the snow.
That was also a selling feature for me and was willing to pay more to have the AWD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have had our 2010 Traverse AWD for less than a week now and already we have gone through a small snow (3") and a semi major ice storm (.25"-.5"). I was interested to see how the Traverse with factory Goodyear tires handled in these conditions since we traded in our 2005 Trailblazer which had AWD, High 4x4, and Low 4x4 with very good Firestone Destination AT tires. I have to say that I consider myself an experienced winter driver.
With that being said, I am VERY impressed with the Traverse so far! in the snow, I had to work to get the traction control to kick in. When i turned the traction control off I had a terrible getting the Traverse to slide. The Traverse also performed excellent in the ice. Just remember to stay off the breaks! My wife was able to drive around in this weather without any problems what so ever. I have to say that I prefer driving the Traverse over my Jeep Wrangler with Cooper STT tires in the ice, but don't tell my wife!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Chalk up another satisfied driver... I just took ours out for the first winter drive on roads with a hard pack of snow and ice pellets. I gave it a good test by climbing slowly up a steep hill. I could feel the traction control / AWD working as it just walked right up with ease.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts