Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready for their first replacement has anyone done this yet I was wondering what kind of trouble I was in for they look pretty weird.....

·
Registered
551 Posts
Re: WINSHEILD WIPERS.............

sorry cant help, but was wonder how many miles you have? Just wondering what the average life span on the wipers. I know from experience changing wipers it is always a PITA. Good luck!

·
Registered
865 Posts

I usually change wipers twice a year (and/or when we get a new windshield) and will change them for the first time in a couple of months. Perhaps the owner's manual offers some instruction as to the correct procedure.

·
Registered
551 Posts

twice a year! That seems like a lot to me, but maybe it rains alot by you :cheers: Or maybe I am used to having worn wipers

·
Registered
865 Posts

You know, our car is garaged. It doesn't rain very much at all here. The sun shines over 300 days a year here. But it's very dry (less than 25% humidity) year-round and during the week the car is outside while my wife is at work from 7:00 A.M until about 4:00 P.M. when she gets home. Wipers dry out and, after a while, won't give me the visibility we need when we really need it.

Our Traverse is only 4 months old, but the windshield already has a few pits in it. The wiper blades will develop spots in them wherever these pits may be and cause streaking (across the entire sweep of contact) and not wipe as cleanly as I think they should. The wipers will also crack in these spots if not taken care of and replaced.

I don't replace wiper blades when I have problems. I replace wiper blades before I have a problem.

That's my preference. YMMV.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

25000 miles and i think the sun has had a lot to do with the deterioration.they are cracking and streaking........

·
Registered
865 Posts

A couple more things here.

There are wiper treatments out there that can be applied to the rubber. These treatments claim to help preserve the wiper, prolong its life, and clean the windshield better. I haven't used them, but I've considered it. I just don't want streaking and residue on the windshield that might be caused by these treatments.

I've used Rain-X, Bosch Micro-Edge Excel, and Bosch Icon wipers over the last 10 years (and everything else before that). I had the Rain-X wipers on my work van for about two months before they started streaking really bad. I threw them away and went back to Bosch. The wipers on the Traverse look similar to the Bosch Icon, but I haven't looked to see if they say Bosch or not.

·
Registered
407 Posts

FWIW: I'm at 10500 miles, and 21 months of ownership, and still on the same factory wiper blades.

·
Registered
201 Posts

I use a product called Aquapel can not say how much better it is than RainX, lasts between 6 months and a year depending on the amount of use. The other benefits snow and ice don't stick and improves night vision in the rain, and your wipers last longer. Can find it on Amazon.com.

·
Registered
865 Posts

I'm a big believer in windshield treatments and have used Rain-X for many years. In my experience, Rain-X needs to be applied about once every 4 months or so. I'll look into getting some of this Aquapel if it lasts that much longer than Rain-X. Thanks for the tip Dan!

·
Registered
11,568 Posts

09Enclave said:
FWIW: I'm at 10500 miles, and 21 months of ownership,

wow...
im about 10500 miles in 7.5 months of ownership.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts

what i dont like about the traverse windshield- is that while its cold- moisture builds up in it- like the glass is not clean- forms very distinct patterns....
I can wipe the glass- and it clears but the foginess returns in a few seconds to form the same pattern.
the way to clear it is to let the glass warm up blowing warm air from the vents....
(or driving several miles to allow warm engine air to blow over the glass).
As soon as the glass warms up- the fog stops forming and this bother some pattern goes away....

you know its that foggy stuff that appear in the mornings... you wipe it- but reforms pretty quick- and you have to wipe again and again.
My blades are good...

This also happens on our impala.
Must be the glass they use.
This happens on our Trailblazer- the fogginess--- BUT-- it does not form the repetitive patterns we see on the Traverse or impala.

·
Registered
417 Posts

In my area it rains enough during this time of year (spring) that I'm lucky if Rain-X lasts more than a couple weeks. First time I had tried Rain-X was just before a night journey in a very heavy rain storm. Of course the storm was moving the same direction I was traveling so it rained on me the whole 4 hour trip. Hard too. So hard that if I had not used the Rain-X I would not have made it. Amazing stuff. I just hate having to re-apply it so often, so I'm going to try the Aquapel. I've tried others, but they were worse than Rain-X Thanks guys.

·
Registered
865 Posts

Back to the original question--sorry I hijacked this thread. :hijacked:

See page 10-26 of your owner's manual to find out how to remove the windshield wipers. See page 11-9 for proper wiper sizing.

Hope this helps if you hadn't already figured it out while the rest of us were rambling on.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

Thread Revival....

We owned our Grand Prix GXP for 4 years, and I never had to change the wiper blades. They worked just as good the day I traded it in, as they did when she was new. I used Rain-X pretty often ( 2-3 times a year ) but the major thing is that our vehicles are only outside while driving. They are in a garage at home, and both the wife and I have covered parking at work. Lucky us I guess. :cheers:

I don't anticipate on having to replace wiper blades on the Traverse for at least 2 years... I hope.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The front windshield wipers are easy to change even though they look intimidating. All that you have to do is push a little button on the wiper with your finger (no tools needed) and the blade pops off. The new blades slide right on. The rear wiper is a different story. I got so frustrated with that I took it to the dealer to have them do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The rears are a hook just like older wipers on other vehicles. They're just on tight. Get a finger behind the hook, press the tab and slide the wiper back (away from the driver's side).
Good luck finding a replacement. Few places carry 13in blades. Trico "Exact-Fit" 13s DO NOT fit, even though many places list them. The opening on the wiper for the hook is not large enough. I have heard, but not confirmed (possibly elsewhere on the forum) that Ancos fit.

G

·
sdobrien said:
The rears are a hook just like older wipers on other vehicles. They're just on tight. Get a finger behind the hook, press the tab and slide the wiper toward the driver's side.
Good luck finding a replacement. Few places carry 13in blades. Trico "Exact-Fit" 13s DO NOT fit, even though many places list them. The opening on the wiper for the hook is not large enough. I have heard, but not confirmed (possibly elsewhere on the forum) that Ancos fit.
I priced out the rear blade on gmpartsdirect.com~$19.95 delivered; a little steep IMO

·
Registered
5 Posts
mrw803 said:
The front windshield wipers are easy to change even though they look intimidating. All that you have to do is push a little button on the wiper with your finger (no tools needed) and the blade pops off. The new blades slide right on. The rear wiper is a different story. I got so frustrated with that I took it to the dealer to have them do it.
I must be missing something. When I take the old wiper off, I have no part to click back into the hole on the arm. None of the pieces for the new wipers seem to fit. Please tell me how I'm being an idiot here, because I'm sure that I am.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
can you take pics?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts