Traverse Forum banner

Windshield Defroster Coverage & Efficiency

14K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Melmo 
#1 ·
It seems that the windshield defroster/defogger works really well in the middle of the windshield, but takes a good while to clear the right and left sides of the glass. I surmise this is because of the single large center vent, but I question if and how this could be improved.

#4 ·
maseacre said:
It doesnt even work on our Traverse. We might have it on wrong, but still. The defogger doesnt defog our Traverse
Whatever systemyou have in your Traverse, move the control to FULL defrost to clean the inside of the w/shield. Bumping the fan speed to a high level would also help, I believe.

#5 ·
I dont remember if the Traverse- automatically turns on the AC compressor... or just blows air at the glass...
But whenever I have to use the defogger- I set it to HOT and on high....

Once this has cleared up the windows enough to drive off--- and if its cold enough- and theres enough of us in the car to cause fogging up of all the windows (including rears)- I will turn on the AC and set the heat appropriately---- but the AC - conditions the air.... basically sucks out all the moisture in the cabin- from our breathing- from the evaporating moisture from our wet clothes, shoes, floor mats. etc.

#6 ·
I notice up here in chilly Canada, that the defrost takes longer in the winter months. That is because the A/C compressor doesn't kick on because the temperature is to low. Its a built in safety to protect the compressor. In that case, you only have unconditioned air blowing on the window. It still will clear up, but takes longer. Rainy days in the summer, the A/C works, so the defrost works in about half the time. I agree with turning the blower to HIGH and HOT.

Regards,

#7 ·
andylibby said:
It seems that the windshield defroster/defogger works really well in the middle of the windshield, but takes a good while to clear the right and left sides of the glass. I surmise this is because of the single large center vent, but I question if and how this could be improved.
Last night the Traverse was outside, temp got to 14*. This morning it was a BUGGER to get the w/shield defogged / defrosted within a reasonable period of time. It is my guess, down the road, some modification will take place within GM to speed up the efficiency of that defroster.

#8 ·
Ive never lived in cold places where it gets down to your temps--
but what about taking a HOT bucket of water- and pouring it on the windshield?
would the water freeze pretty soon?

oh wait while typing this...-- I just thought about thermal shock to the windshield--- I can see it cracking....
forget it..... At least my brain was doing double thinking....

#9 ·
rbarrios said:
Ive never lived in cold places where it gets down to your temps--
but what about taking a HOT bucket of water- and pouring it on the windshield?
would the water freeze pretty soon?

oh wait while typing this...-- I just thought about thermal shock to the windshield--- I can see it cracking....
forget it..... At least my brain was doing double thinking....
:sosad: Seems like too much work every morning. ;D

#10 ·
With all the snow and very cold weather (-16 C ) the last week, my remote starter starter is awesome, the car defrosts the windshields pretty quickly and warms up the car fairly quickly too..... no problems with fogging as well....... Although the car is not real 4 wheel drive, I feel a good grip on the road despite all the snow and ice.

#11 ·
I just noticed this exact same problem this morning and was going to post about it! It was lightly snowing this morning and the defroster helped enough to melt the snow in the middle, but didn't get rid of the stuff on the edges of the windshield (basically, anywhere outside the arc of the wipers), so I was left with a snow/ice mix stuck to that portion of the windshield that was blocking my view. I, of course, did not really notice this until I was driving down the highway, where I could not really pull over and scrape the windshield clean. I cranked the defroster up, and it did absolutely nothing to help. Not a very good design, if you ask me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.