Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 3LT that has noticeable wind noise around the windshield and a-pillars. It is even worse in crosswinds. I had a 2008 Enclave, 2009 Traverse, and a 2014 Acadia and it is much more noticeable than all of those. The dealer thought they needed to replace the windshield , and it didn't help. Has anyone heard of a tsb or dealt with the same issue and found a solution. I have 5400 miles and otherwise love the vehicle. It gets about 7 mpg better than my old lambdas- even getting 30.7 mpg on a 100 mile back highway trip. One other thing-I had a squeaky steering wheel in cold weather and they replaced a bushing that fixed the noise.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 2018 3LT that has noticeable wind noise around the windshield and a-pillars. It is even worse in crosswinds. I had a 2008 Enclave, 2009 Traverse, and a 2014 Acadia and it is much more noticeable than all of those. The dealer thought they needed to replace the windshield , and it didn't help. Has anyone heard of a tsb or dealt with the same issue and found a solution. I have 5400 miles and otherwise love the vehicle. It gets about 7 mpg better than my old lambdas- even getting 30.7 mpg on a 100 mile back highway trip. One other thing-I had a squeaky steering wheel in cold weather and they replaced a bushing that fixed the noise.
Any particular speed that the wind noise is noticeable or kicks up at?

Did they check the door seals for the front doors?

Or it could be the sideview mirrors causing the wind noise or a bad seal with them near the door.

IIRC correctly, I think KBB said in their review that they had a whistling noise coming from the rearview mirror area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It starts to become noticeable above 30 mph, but it's mostly in the crosswinds. It doesn't seem to be the mirrors-it's most likely the a-pillar. I just looked closely at the front quarter panel. It extends up into the a-pillar and seems to be mis-aligned and sticks up slightly? Could that be it? They did check the doors and eliminated that as a concern, and I agree.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Roof racks on the vehicle? If so, OEM or aftermarket.

The OEM roof racks for the '18 may not look fantastic but they are aerodynamically styled and placed at specific fixed locations to reduce wind noise. Each of the 4 supports is directional and marked for a specific location in the rail. Backwards installation of the supports/crossrails or use of aftermarket supports/ cross rails will cause turbulence and wind noise.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
One of your door gasket is probably the culprit maybe!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a suggestion as to what I could try with the door seal without having to make a trip to the dealer. The sound seems to be away from the door and more on the quarter panel.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Try to run a sheet of paper all around the door specially near the upper window over the seal after the door is closed to see how the paper is gripping

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wind Noise Corrected

The wind noise is coming from the piece of flashing covering the cowl between the hood, window, and door pillar. On our 2018 we were able to tap it with our fingers and visibly and audibly confirm it was moving. The passenger side was tight, and didnt move. The dealership had to order the part, but put 3m tape on the back side to prevent the movement until the new piece comes in. That did the trick. Drove 500+ miles this weekend on a trip, and didn't have a single wind noise. I would recommend that you have Chevy do this, as opposed to DIY. The piece is flimsy, and could easily break.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This may seem unusual but I thought I was having the same issue until I turned the air/heat completely off. The wind noise went away It seems that with the heat running the defrost was blowing on the window and it sounded like wind noise from outside got completely quiet when off and wind noise when on. Maybe this is what you are hearing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestions. I turned off all the fans, and mine is definitely wind noise. The cowl flashing may be the culprit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The reply and suggested fix by reganders solved the same problem of wind noise in our new 2019 High Country Traverse. THANKS! The dealer was surprised by ‘our’ diagnosis and suggested fix. The piece was loose.

“The wind noise is coming from the piece of flashing covering the cowl between the hood, window, and door pillar. On our 2018 we were able to tap it with our fingers and visibly and audibly confirm it was moving. The passenger side was tight, and didnt move. The dealership had to order the part, but put 3m tape on the back side to prevent the movement until the new piece comes in. That did the trick. Drove 500+ miles this weekend on a trip, and didn't have a single wind noise. I would recommend that you have Chevy do this, as opposed to DIY. The piece is flimsy, and could easily break”.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The reply and suggested fix by reganders solved the same problem of wind noise in our new 2019 High Country Traverse. THANKS! The dealer was surprised by ‘our’ diagnosis and suggested fix. The piece was loose.

“The wind noise is coming from the piece of flashing covering the cowl between the hood, window, and door pillar. On our 2018 we were able to tap it with our fingers and visibly and audibly confirm it was moving. The passenger side was tight, and didnt move. The dealership had to order the part, but put 3m tape on the back side to prevent the movement until the new piece comes in. That did the trick. Drove 500+ miles this weekend on a trip, and didn't have a single wind noise. I would recommend that you have Chevy do this, as opposed to DIY. The piece is flimsy, and could easily break”.
So you have a picture of the exact piece/spot? Not sure if you mean the portion of the cowling at the windshield/hood/pillar or door window/hood/pillar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts