Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 2-3 months my wife has been telling me she hears a whistling noise when driving especially at speeds between 35-45 mph. So I checked it out myself and sure enough there is a very distinct high pitch whistle...very annoying. I messed around with the roof racks but that didn't help. The noise was coming from the windshield area so I said well it's in warranty I'll let the dealer figure it out.

Long story short the dealer had the vehicle a few hours, called me and said the problem was fixed. I asked what was the problem and he said the (aftermarket) bug deflector. I was like but the deflector has been on the vehicle since the first few weeks after I purchased it 10 months ago. This noise is something new that just started. He tells me well no deflector no noise....if I want the deflector back on then the noise will be there also.
I am quite cynical of dealers and figured they were just placing blame on the deflector since it was aftermarket so I tell him not to put the deflector back on an I'll pick up the vehicle. Sure enough without the deflector the whistle noise had vanished. I wasn't satisfied so when I got home I put the deflector back on, did a test drive and low and behold the noise returned :sosad:

Wierd that it started making the noise months after the deflector was installed. I was lucky that the service writer covered the issue under warranty....he could have charged me for the labor. I did have an oil change done at the same time so maybe that helped their decision.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
That is weird that the noise didn't show up immediately once you installed the bug deflector right away. Good that the source was found though.

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
any side winds?
It is interesting the shield would do it after x months.
But I can see the aerodynamics change just enough to cause the effect.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the same problem when am in the highway I get a wind noise. The only thing different is I don't have a bug deflector it started about a months ago. Sometime I hear it sometimes I don't it very weird. Any body else have the same problem that does not have the bug deflector?

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
My guess is that the deflection of the bug deflector has changed over the past 10 months, the UV light and constant wind pressure on it has possibly made the plastic a little more or a little less flexible. It's a very UNIQUE problem....I'm sure there are tons of people out there with the same bug deflector that don't have that issue. High pitched noises can be REALLY annoying. Glad its resolved!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I was thinking the same thing that the deflector may have settled back a little bit just enough to change the wind shear. I noticed that the deflector has quite a squared off edge. I'm going to take a belt sander to it and see if I can adjust that edge some, hopefully I can shave enough of the edge down to eliminate the noise from the wind shear.

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
I cant remember what model-- but a few years ago-- it started popping up on the forums...either the Trailblazer/envoy or silverado...
but adding a bug shield--- would cause the aerodynamics to change enough- that people started hearing slight thumping... turns out it was causing the rubber strip around the windshields to lift up/down--making that sound....

·
Registered
718 Posts
rbarrios said:
I cant remember what model-- but a few years ago-- it started popping up on the forums...either the Trailblazer/envoy or silverado...
but adding a bug shield--- would cause the aerodynamics to change enough- that people started hearing slight thumping... turns out it was causing the rubber strip around the windshields to lift up/down--making that sound....
I know the Silverado was one of the trucks that this happened with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I once had this problem on my '98 Malibu. There was no bug deflector on the car, turned out it was a faulty windshield seal. New seal, no noise, no problem!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have the same problem, wind noise drives me crazy.It sounds like a window or door is open.
And the zombie thread award foes to...

First post and you dig up an year old thread... nicely done!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts