Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I have this wind whistle in my passenger door once over 60mph. Jack Maxton Chevy agreed that I do have a noise. They claim they contacted GM and GM advised that they are aware of this issue. However, they currently DO NOT have a fix. Dearler stated that until GM provides a solution the dealer cant do anything. I told the dealer to put another **** door on it!!! A lot of Silence before he repeated himself. Anyway, can anyone confirm this to be accurate and advise what the heck I should do now? I'm having a hard time letting this slide being it's a $42000 car and not a **** cobalt!! I'm thinking about test driving another LTZ that is the exact color at another dealer. I'm going to take it to my buddy's mechanic shop and swap the doors. Will the plugs for the locks and windows work w/o reprogramming the remote?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Besides being unethical the VIN is etched into the door.

My Traverse does whistle at high speeds too, but I just thought it was the roof rack.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unethical is selling a $42000 car w/ a whistle that should NOT be there and not fix it. I'll take my chances on the dealer not finding a diff in vin#. Kind of like the time I bought an LCD before they fell in price. P/u a sharp for over $2000 and after the 30day policy was up the thing stopped working. I took it back to HHgregg and they wouldn't do anything. I told the manager that I'd like to buy another one....he asked why. I told him that I was going to buy another TV and put the busted one in the box and return it under the new receipt. The associates standing there laughed and walked away due to their boss having smoke pour out his ears. The manager replaced the tv.

I'm going to do the same to GM.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Same problem here, but I think it's on my driver's side. Had the same problem with my Astro Van not too long ago. Very annoying.

Joe

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
are you guys with the whistle- did you add a bugshield to the hood?

those bugshields have been known to change the aerodynamics enough to cause funny stuff on other cars...

Ive also seen some Trailblazer owners complain of whistling...
what some have done is insert a rubber tube into the weatherstriping to give it firmness--- sound gone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nope...no bug shield. And yes I'm seen many trailblazers w/ the same whistle.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No bug shield or dealer roof rails. I personally only experience this when it is considerably windy out. Made a couple of hour trip yesterday to go skiing. There was no wind, and I didn't hear the whistle once.

Joe

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
maybe cross wind?
My Trailblazer is quiet... when we get cross winds(strong)--- I can hear sounds from around the door/mirror area...
But I understand this as being related to the strong winds.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nope...no crosswind and I don't have the cross rails. It's from the door.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Above 45 mph, I have a wind noise that I believe is coming either from the skylights or the crossbars of the rack. At 65 mph, it overpowers the radio. Also, I have opened the skylight only to have the air dam start to vibrate and make its own noise. You would think that Chevy would have checked these items out before production. I have many other cars with racks that made no noise.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Bad thing about high pitched noises is that they are almost impossible to find. It could be non-wind related too. I've seen tires make wind-like noises before. In that case I blamed Goodyear, not GM. Didn't realize it wasn't wind until I had new tires put on around 50K miles on that truck. My jaw hit the floor when I noticed the noise I'd become used to was no longer there. Electronics are another possibility for noise makers. Or something in the instrument panel. My dad's Honda has a whistle like noise from the speedometer cable behind the dash. The list of possibilities is endless. I really don't see how it's possible to be perfect in this 100% of the time from any car maker.

My Trav is so quiet its amazing. Can't tell the road speed from the noise at all. Something I could easily do in my old Chevy PU, but now I'm finding I have to look at the spedo more often in the Trav :( he he...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went to the dealer to discuss the wind noise and he brushed me off saying it was probably the cross rails on the roof rack. I was driving with some friends last night and they could not believe how much wind noise the car was making at 60 mph. It made me feel that I had an inferior car. Maybe I do. How do you get Chevy's attention?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I added the Sunroof guard (see my accessories thread under the photos section). We never had one of those guards before. My wife could not believe how quiet the ride is with the sunroof fully open. Maybe it is an option if you do not mind double-stick tape. As far as getting GM's attention, I think that solely depends on the dealer and the dealer only. I know of one dealer who bends over backwards while another dealer does the job without the same push for complete customer service. Cannot speak for other experiences, but in the old days my wife was used to the GM employee getting "listened to" whenever calling the GM customer service number. With the last 10 years or so, she felt that had completely changed 180 degrees. Now, I think she feels less than confident that GM customer service will be there for her. But the Traverse was a product that she believes in and she still believes in the design and build process of GM. Just not the same customer service philosophy, in her opinion. Good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My noise is getting louder it seems! It's really piss'n me off. I love the vehicle, but that noise has gotta go. If I can't find the source the vehicle will be sold on ebay.

·
Registered
417 Posts
stumpk, did you mention you had cross rails on the roof between the runners? If so, remove them and drive it around a few days to see what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Whistling issue on 09 Traverse is not an issue with the door. At this moment GM is trying to figure out how to rectify the issue. Swapping the doors is unnecessary and if there are any problems with that door in the future it will not be covered under warranty[not to mention what intotheoh mentioned before]. Although it is annoying that your new vehicle has a whistling noise at certain speeds, it is not an actual problem with the vehicle. If anything it is most likely an issue with the aerodynamics of the vehicle causing wind to possibly get caught up within the side view mirrors and create a whistling sound. GM has not come up with a fix for this issue and therefore GM dealerships cannot take any steps to fix it, as it is a warranty issue. If they did start doing things to the vehicle they would have to cover the costs... and if anything they did to the vehicle became an issue later on, they would also have to eat the cost[and take responsibility] of that. In fact it would be unethical for them to do any unauthorized warranty issue work to the vehicle. We are hoping that within the next month they will figure out what is causing the whistling and send out a bulletin to GM dealerships and service centers instructing us how to fix the issue. The fix might be something as simple as the sunroof guard which was mentioned earlier.....

PS- This is not just an issue with the Chevy Traverse, but all of the GM models which are of the same style[Buick Enclave & GMC Acadia]

So as for the complaint of GM service at those dealerships- they're only doing their job, and one cannot make a statement generalizing the customer service of GM and their dealerships. While their is a "standard of excellence" which we are supposed to uphold, it depends on the specific dealership to make sure that the standard is being met.

I hope this helps to explain what is going on and why they can't replace the door.

·
Registered
185 Posts
All I can say is that I have had the sunroof guard and window guards on from the first week onward and never had any whistle sound... But since I had the accessories installed the very first week, I know we never heard it in that first week to begin with and thus cannot promise that it fixes any problem that we never personally experienced. Having said this, the guards do look great on our silver ride (IMO) so it was no loss for us either way...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bunch of BS is what it is. Not every traverse does it which means that it really shouldn't be the body or shape then. I was just at Jack Maxton to get my recall done and they will no longer work on my traverse.....hahahahahahahah! :happy:I pissed someone off. I wasn't mad at all....just said cool and left. Either someone on here called them with the swappin the door thing or they keep an eye on this forum. I'm going w/ the taddle tale theory :binky:. If anyone would like to Man up and say this I would love to hear about it. Mr. Dan the chevyman.....did you have any part in this buddy?

I had no plan on a door swap, but was a good idea. Just way risky.

Reason why I'm not mad is that I've already been dealing w/ trading this thing in.

Again....THAT WHISTLE IS FROM THE DOOR. Both Jack Maxton, Couglin Chevy and 4 buds say the say **** thing. I've done f'd w/ the mirrors all I can and the pitch of the sound is the same.

·
Registered
994 Posts
stumpk said:
I was just at Jack Maxton to get my recall done and they will no longer work on my traverse.....hahahahahahahah! :happy:I pissed someone off. I

Either someone on here called them with the swappin the door thing or they keep an eye on this forum. I'm going w/ the taddle tale theory :binky:.

I had no plan on a door swap, but was a good idea. Just way risky.
But Maxton must have given you a reason(s) why they would no longer work on your Traverse! That is major :eek: . What did they say specifically?

And how far does this go? That is will *no* GM dealer do warranty work on your Traverse or just 'stuff' associated with the "whistle"? :confused:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts