Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has put really high mileage on the Traverse. How much should I expect to get out of it? Is 300--400k a reasonable expectation if it is well maintained?

BTW, I'm at 152k on my 2012 Traverse.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I think it depends---
lots of highway use-- and proper care.. yes.
lots of street use-- maybe not without some issues.

I think what will get these is the carbon than will etch the cylinders.
I mean Ive taken care of mine. But now at 154,000 - its using oil.
Though oil analysis shows its not shedding metals etc.
So at this point- its cheaper to just add oil-- and keep on trucking.
Some years ago--- there was a member-- who I think reported 280- or 300K on his unit...
but he did drive ALOT

·
Registered
481 Posts
I had 212k on my 2008 outlook before I sold it. Combination rural and highway, some city. I used synthetic oil and relying on the Engine Oil Life Monitor.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I sure hope so. I'm impressed by my wife's 2008 Mazda CX-9... 267,000 on it now. Runs great and nothing but basic maintenance. Always used Mobil 1 so hoping to get as long a life out the the Traverse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Tahoe that has 295K on it and the engine started knocking. Always used Mobil 1 and Wix filters every 4000 miles.
The vehicle is in great shape so I threw another engine in it. Of course it has the LS motor, regular V8 with push rods.
It should have went longer, as I babied it, but that's life.

I saw many 3800 V6's go past 300K when I was heavily involved in the Pontiac Bonneville Club, but again it was a simple,
almost bullet proof motor.

That being said, I don't feel these direct inject, variable valve timing, overhead cams and 3 timing chain, Traverse motors
are ever going to go past 300K miles. Too much technology trying to squeeze mileage or power out of this
engine. It will require too much money to keep it going into the 300K territory, in my opinion, unless you just
replace it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't expect that it will. I mentioned on other threads that the '09-'13 V6 has a defect in the lifters on the timing chain. As it gets above 100K, it burns more oil and the lifters have seen some melting, and it has led to the timing being off a fraction and starts throwing codes, etc. We discovered it in between regular oil changes with synthetic oil, based upon the oil life monitor. Burned off a quart! At 169K right now on our '11. GM fixed the engine on later models, but these V6 units in the Traverse, as well as in another GMC model are defective. Not sure that there is a remedy for us :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think the 2nd generation traverse with the 3.6 should out last the 1st gen. simply because it has more gears and runs at a lot less RPMs .

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Not too sure about the 2nd gen. The difference in rpm is very small and the models from 2013+ are very reliable. If well maintained any vehicules can go a long run. We cannot deny that the imported cars are way more reliable than the north american vehicules.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My 2009 Traverse just hit 198,000 miles and still going strong. I have use 5W30 Quaker State Synthetic Blend motor oil with 6,000 miles between changes. I am now switching to Full Synthetic because I just can't get the Synthetic blend anymore. I used to get in at Walmart but they quit selling it in the store. Then I was able to get in online through Walmart but now I can't even do that. The Full Synthetic is cheaper anyways and it should be better but I hated to change. The most I loose between oil changes is a 1/2 quart. I have never added oil between changes. But I do put in 6 quarts when I change the oil, never had a problem with that either.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I hope it lasts me that long but with my new commute (3 miles) the lack of really getting up to operating temperature will likely affect parts. I'm expecting more issues but hopefully they don't occur.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm hoping that mine does! I put over 26,000 on it in 11 months time. That's driving to/from work five days a week, plus one vacation down to FL from IL. We're about to take it to AR next week too. It is well loved and well driven. I hope for many more miles and years. *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Traverse engine still suffers from inadequate lubrication of the timing chain. May get 300K on the motor but find yourself paying to replace the timing chain 2-3 times during that period. I would use a dexos1 Gen 2 synthetic blend and change the oil and filter every 5,000 to 7,500 miles depending upon my drive profile.

It is not the miles but the hours of operation that are important. Someone who does mostly around town driving at an average speed of 35 mph (with time spent stopped ) and puts 10,000 miles on the odometer that translates to 285 hours of operation. Another driver who does mostly freeway driving and averages 60 mph over 10,000 miles has 167 hours of operation of the engine. The around town driver is putting a lot more loading on the motor oil and should be changing the motor oil at much shorter intervals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts