Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to why they would make a fixed window on the liftgate? Not usually an issue, but we had our Traverse packed pretty tight last week for vacation, and an open-able window would have saved me a little headache (and added packing room).

Looking around at other SUV/crossovers, it seems like some do and some don't... I can't imagine it would be a huge cost (and if it was, why not make it an option?).

Our Hyundai Tucson has it, and it's nice, you can really pack the back and not worry about things falling out when you open the liftgate.

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
I Know what you mean.
The Trailblazers were just like that. window would pop open...

this was great on trips were you stop- and pop the window- and give the dogs water. they come up to the window- and drink...
vs opening the tailgate-- and they think its time to get off....

Ill scratch my head on this one....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Or one that you could push a button and have the window roll down. That would have been super cool!

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Since I've never had the pleasure of owning a vehicle with a roll down back window, I guess I don't know what I'm missing. I can only imagine how handy a roll down window could be. Especially if I didn't have a GMC Sierra 1500 in my driveway. But with the pick-up, I have no need to do Home Depot runs in the Traverse!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Maybe I am the odd one out, but I had a 2005 jeep grand cherokee for 5 years. Never ever once opened just the glass, as a matter of fact I could never think of a reason why I would. I guess if the car was packed and I didnt want something to fall out, but how often is that? I actually hit the key fob by mistake once and it popped the glass open, I was like whoa I forgot about that!

I'm guessing here, but I would say it was a cost vs. actually being used feature. I wouldn't mind having it I guess, but I certainly don't need it or miss it. Just my .2 cents.

Edit: do any of the other lambda's open?

·
Registered
312 Posts
In my old Tahoe more than once I drove home from Home Improvement World with a red p,astir flag hanging off the end of boards sticking out the open tailgate window. Still, though, strange as it may seem, the Traverse has larger interior volume than a Tahoe, so I guess that's the tradeoff.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I used this "window pop open" feature a lot on my for mer Trailblazer. This is one of those that I wished was available for the Traverse.

A

·
0 Posts
Having the liftgate window open while driving could allow exhaust fumes to enter the vehicle

·
Registered
324 Posts
AA/78U said:
Having the liftgate window open while driving could allow exhaust fumes to enter the vehicle
As clean as exhaust is these days, I would imagine that's not a big concern.

·
Registered
312 Posts
As clean as exhaust is these days, I would imagine that's not a big concern.
I suspect you jest for exhaust, as prescribed by benevolent federal mandate, is no doubt less hazardous these days in terms of emitted solids, but deadly carbon-monoxide is still a prominent component of it's makeup. Breathe it at your peril.

·
Registered
324 Posts
No, I wasn't joking. A Saab, I believe, a few years ago, claimed that it's exhaust was cleaner than the big city air that it took in. I also heard that it's impossible to commit suicide by sitting in a running car inside a garage any more. Would I sit with a tube from an exhaust pipe feeding me my air, no, but my guess is you would get more harmful emmisions through the side windows from the poorly mantained 1970's cars on the road than you would from a Traverse with a opening rear window. If it was a huge concern, I doubt the feds would even allow opening rear windows. Heck, you even stated that you would drive home from Home Despot with lumber hanging out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I as well had a trailblazer and loved that the glass opened. Once I got the Traverse, I kept looking to see how I could open it.
Guess what, it won. ;)

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Im also thinking-- that how much exhaust CAN make it into the cabin (if a glass window is left open) can also depend on the aerodynamics at the rear of the vehicle.

You know they use that smoke to look at airflow on some cars--- and on some towards the tailgate--- you see all the smoke forming vortices
because of the aerodynamics....
on others-- its really smooth.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
67 Posts
rb Just wanted to run this by you, as another Trailblazer lover. I was at a red light yesterday and beside me was a carrier with a new Trailblazer on the top rack. I was on the wrong side to see if it had a window sticker on it but I could see the whole underneath as I sat at the light. It had clearly never been on the road (stickers on the frame,all clean and new looking, etc. Wondered if they are still making these somewhere. I felt like following the truck to see where it went. Pertty red, I would like to have that baby. I bet Chevy sold more TB's in the first year than they will Volt's.

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Trailblazer production ceased a long time ago. Dec 16, 2008- at the Moraine Plant.
Unless its been sitting in a dealership unsold as a 2009...

But its also possible its a low low mileage Western Trailblazer..
(West coast Trailblazer)

My 2003 Still has some of the tags hanging from the undercarriage.
The undercarriage is not shiny clean- as it has road overspray that dulls the shine...
But if you look at it-- its super clean. Well it is RUST free.
In this image- I changed the fuel pump at about 133,000.
It now has 157,000 -- but the undercarriage still looks the same.
Spray some water down there- or take a rag to that-- it it will shine.

this image-
the vehicle had recently passed the 100,000 mark-
as I removed the differential fluid. thus the oil marks on the diff cover.
But you can see that its pretty clean.
Look at the sway bar... I took a wet rag to that- and made it look new....

·
Registered
67 Posts
It must have been sitting then because it was all clean and black and new underneath. I wish I would have been on the other side so I could have seen the window sticker

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
yeah- if it was that clean-- prob unsold stock someone had...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have seen several trailblazers with broken third brake light cowlings. I watched (actually, just reacted too late) a friend open the glass to try and put something inside his 2004 trailblazer... then with the item still in his hands, made the quick (and damaging) decision "on the fly" to open up the main gate with the glass still open... :eek:... crushed the top section above the glass cowling into 3 pieces. Quoted replacement 3rd brake light (also damaged) and the top cowling: 350 bucks plus labor. Costly mistake.

I'm glad my traverse's glass does not open seperately. Not only was the trailblazer's "rear window wiper" a flawed design to begin with (finally fixed with a redesigned wiper arm in 2007 trucks, but it was not something that we found to be 'missing' from the replacement lambda truck that replaced it.

The trailblazer was an excellent truck, don't get me wrong, we owned two of them (2002 LS and 2007 LT) but the harsh ride, lack of seating capacity (our family had grown since we had bought the tb) and terrible fuel economy in comparison to the Lambdas made the 'upgrade' an easy one. For the occasional time we used 4wd on the TB (even with the factory stock summer tread "Continental White Letter Tires") we didn't really need a 4wd.

Everyone has their own needs and opinions... but for me, the rear glass differences between the TB and the lambda was a non-issue.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'd much rather have tip out rear side windows.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts