Traverse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DuayneD is on here all the time giving his two cents worth :argue: and congratulating those of us who actually own a Traverse, :clap: but he doesn't even own one himself! :binky: Maybe, as a group, we can council him :deadhorse: and try to figure out what he is waiting for. Are there any psychologists on the forum who can help? :blahblah: Lets turn him from a wannabe into an actual Traversian! :banana: What do you think? ;D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok DuayneD,

Have you pulled the trigger and bought one. Better yet, when you buy take a hidden camera and post the movie here. But remember to say jokeingly to the sales man that he is being recorded.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Gibby, AMEN Brother!!! :blob: :blob: :blob:

Duayne, Come on buddy. You need to pull the trigger as soon as the rebates pop up during the blowouts of the 2009s.
And PLEASE do not tell us that the 2010 model is worth you waiting for.
I am not sure WE could take it :confused: :help: :thumb:

Ok, now back to our regularly scheduled forum...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow! I am flattered by this, my very own thread on an international forum! I wish I could tell someone who'd actually care. lol

I also wish I could live up to all your expectations, but, my friends, I'm afraid I have bad news.

After months of painstaking research, agonizing negotiations with some good Chevy dealers and too many others who seemed not to give a rat's patootie about selling me a car, I have decided to get a . . . 2009 Mazda CX-9.
Very tough decision. I really, really wanted the Traverse -- until about 2 weeks ago. I wanted to buy American -- for once, and I wanted to buy from my town dealer (who unfortunately, was one of those who barely gave me the time of day and never offered me a competitive price until it was too little, too late).
Yessir, I wanted to do my little part for both the national local economy.

But in the end, I had to go with my head, not my heart.

I would never say the Mazda is a better truck than the Chevy, but I do have to say that right now, it is just flat out a better value. Mazda only sells about 2,000 CX-9's a month, compared to what, 8,000 now for Traverse? But guess what, that makes them try harder to win you over.
With all the current incentives, I'm getting a CX-9 that's considerably better equipped than a 1LT for $25,000, (MSRP: $31,870) not including my trade-in value. :happy:

The best deal I could get for a 1LT Traverse -- after 4 or 5 months of negotiating with 6 or 7 dealers, was about $27,700. :banghead:
I talked to 2 Mazda dealers, and within two weeks I'm at $25k from a dealer that was highly recommended by neighbors and my own mechanic.

We haven't actually bought it yet, but should get it within a week.

OK, I'm putting on my fireproof jumpsuit, as I expect to get royally flamed as the Benedict Arnold of Traverseforum.com
>:D

·
Registered
994 Posts
DuayneD said:
but, my friends, I'm afraid I have bad news.

I have decided to get a . . . 2009 Mazda CX-9.
Yikes! If I were I would have just fibbed ;).

I bet you have been two timing us over at the CX-9 forum!

Well with no Traverse to show for our efforts I think it only fair that you should make a donation of some sort to travereseforum.com 8).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DuayneD who? :bootyshake: :beatdown:

·
Registered
70 Posts
DuayneD,

Well you have to go where you need to 2 get the best deal. I still want pictures and all the details when you pull the tirgger. Best of luck with your new car purchase. :binky:

·
Registered
161 Posts
copperbeech said:
Yikes! If I were I would have just fibbed ;).

I bet you have been two timing us over at the CX-9 forum!

Well with no Traverse to show for our efforts I think it only fair that you should make a donation of some sort to travereseforum.com 8).
Why, Copper, are you calling me a dirty low-down tramp?

OK, so maybe you're right. But, upon my honor, I never trash-talked the Traverse while cavorting with the CX-9 boys.

Oh, and I consider my months of scintillating, clever and perspicacious posts to have been quite a donation already! ;-)

·
Registered
161 Posts
guapo said:
DuayneD,

Well you have to go where you need to 2 get the best deal. I still want pictures and all the details when you pull the trigger. Best of luck with your new car purchase. :binky:
Thank you for that hale-fellow well-met response. (Unlike a certain other guy here that I won't even stoop to name :cough: gibby :cough:)

You must be a gentleman and a scholar and more handsome than all the other posters in this thread combined.

I'm not sure others would be as welcoming though as far as details and (gasp!) photos of a rival cute truck!
Maybe I'll PM you!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DuayneD said:
Thank you for that hale-fellow well-met response. (Unlike a certain other guy here that I won't even stoop to name :cough: gibby :cough:)

You must be a gentleman and a scholar and more handsome than all the other posters in this thread combined.

I'm not sure others would be as welcoming though as far as details and (gasp!) photos of a rival cute truck!
Maybe I'll PM you!
Hey, I'm handsome too! .................Ok, actually I'm not..........well, maybe in a kind of rotund way I am..............but that's not the point.

Did you say "cute truck"?? "CUTE"!? I've never heard "cute" and "truck" in the same sentence before.

Well, good luck with your cute little Mazda, but we'll be fine with our "Manly" Chevrolets.

Take care.

·
Registered
417 Posts
DwaynD, You didn't try hard enough, IMHO.

Both the CX-9 and the Traverse are market priced basically the same. edmunds.com even shows them at an equal true market value. You ran into the same problem a LOT of car buyers, including a disporpotionate amount of GM car buyers run into. Poor dealerships. I personally had to go directly to GM to ge the deal I wanted.

I'm sure if you'd used the resources here on this forum a little more, you'd been in a Traverse at the same price that you purchased your CX-9 for. Sorry, but you didn't seem to do your homework. And, I'd say you went with your pocketbook, not your head. Sorry to be so critical Dywane, but that's just what I see.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Grats on the Mazda. I have respect for their cars (had 2 in the past 20 years) and I don't think you could go wrong with the CX-9. Enjoy the ride, but suck on my Traverse tailpipes if your behind me... hahahah j/king.

Congrats again!

·
Registered
417 Posts
DwayneD, here's another though that may make you upset, so you are pre-warned if you read...

From my understanding of vehicle purchases if you purchased a foreign vehicle on an average of all bought, you have forced over $8,000 out of the US economy. So, by saving a couple grand, your kids will now have 4 times less than your savings of an economy to live in when they are older.

I'm just glad the US auto makers are capable now of meeting the quality and workmanship of any foreign car maker today. The "Japanese cars are built better" statement was true 20 years ago, but not today. Kinda gives good meaning to the "you get what you pay for" thought...

·
Registered
185 Posts
ohhhh nooooooo. Here we go. Fasten your seatbelts kids. :eek:hno:
Duayne, as they say in the tennis world, "your serve". I highly doubt you will let yourself be "aced" by Narg. :thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Narg said:
DwaynD, You didn't try hard enough, IMHO.

Both the CX-9 and the Traverse are market priced basically the same. edmunds.com even shows them at an equal true market value. You ran into the same problem a LOT of car buyers, including a disporpotionate amount of GM car buyers run into. Poor dealerships. I personally had to go directly to GM to ge the deal I wanted.

I'm sure if you'd used the resources here on this forum a little more, you'd been in a Traverse at the same price that you purchased your CX-9 for. Sorry, but you didn't seem to do your homework. And, I'd say you went with your pocketbook, not your head. Sorry to be so critical Dywane, but that's just what I see.
The guy spends 4-5 months negotiating with 6-7 dealerships and you say he didn't do enough? Are you kidding? Buying a car should not be as difficult as taking the One Ring to Mordor and throwing it into the fires of Mt. Doom.

Poor dealerships? Yes, this is probably why GM and Chrysler are closing thousands of them. But it should not be up to the consumer to find a needle in a haystack of bad dealerships.

Sounds to me like DuayneD made a rational decision.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I agree loach. But it is possible to get similar deals. For me though, it took a letter directly to GM to get my deal. GM contacted the dealer for me and I got what I wanted. Yes, that was overkill and should not have been. But, I didn't overstate when I said it is possible.

·
Registered
417 Posts
t4me said:
ohhhh nooooooo. Here we go. Fasten your seatbelts kids. :eek:hno:
Duayne, as they say in the tennis world, "your serve". I highly doubt you will let yourself be "aced" by Narg. :thumb:
LOL! Hopefully it won't get Thaaaat bad. >:D

Here's another way I look at it. We are about to celebrate a very important day come next Monday. We celebrate men who have given their lives for their country. Yet, so many of us don't have enough pride in our country to spend a little time haggling with a car dealership? Or, writing to the good folks that make the vehicles we talk about here? Think about it... DuayneD is not alone in this problem. And no, I don't blame him fully for his motivation. Far too many folks just don't get it any more. Far too worried about the "self" than our country, and falling for the lies and deceit in advertising of some foreign car makers (ask me later about this...). Fortunately, most of us here in this forum do get it. I'm glad to be one of them. Because of health conditions I could not serve for my country in the way we will soon celebrate those who did. But, I will give back to the great institution that supports my freedom in any way I can. This is but a small way in my mind. But with a small trickle, a tremendous river soon follows. Lead the way, and we all will mimic the creators of this nation.

The river already starts to flow heavier, even as we speak:
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/992/survey-cadillac-owners-most-satisfied-with-their-purchase/
"For the second straight year, Cadillac ranks highest among new car owners, taking the Highest Satisfaction Brand honors..."

30 love? ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well said Narg! Buy American/Canadian made cars and stop sending our hard earned money overseas to the people we once went to war with :uzi:(Japanese Imperialists & Nazis). Haven't we given them enough? Support our countries, not theirs!

My brother was an engineer at Gm for 32 years and just lost his job. I know GM has made some huge mistakes, but it just drives me nuts seeing all the foreign cars on our streets. :mad:

I picked up my new Traverse on Wednesday, the same day that GM Canada notified about 300 dealerships that they will be closing (Mine is not one of them). I am doing my part. :woot:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey Muchachos,
Wow, wish I'd checked back in here earlier. Narg sure stirred the pot up a bit, didn't he? :angryfire:
I can understand his point of view. It's kind of like when you work real hard to achieve something, don't give up -- and finally get it, you're disappointed when some chap seems to give it a go, fails to do all you did, and then sounds like he's whining about how tough life is.
Man, I'm sure glad he couldn't really have meant me! lol :eek:hno:
As my new BFF Loach :thumb: noted, I did my due diligence on trying to buy the Traverse. As I've said many times, it's a great truck, I loved it and lusted after it from the first time I just read about it. Even though I bought the CX-9 (and so far, no regrets), I'm sure not ever bashing the Trav.
Now GM dealerships (in general), that's another matter. Narg and I agree that too many of 'em still refuse to recognize reality (until it's too late, as the ones I talked to did) and insist on playing the same old game. I guess it's all they know. Well, many of them and of course GM corporate, too, bless its heart, are now paying a steep price for all that too little/too late.
Here's one quick example I've mentioned before: I learned on this board about special coupons issued during auto shows and saw good examples in the deals folks got. I patiently waited until the NY Auto Show. Being proactive, I mentioned a week or so before the show to at least 5 Chevy dealers that I'd be interested in hearing their offers including the auto show discount at the appropriate time. When the show actually started, guess how many contacted me to say, "Hey, we can knock another $500 (or more, if they wanted) off the price now -- let's talk some new lower numbers."
Not one. NOT A SINGLE ONE!!! I even contacted some of them again myself and "reminded" them they could come up with a better deal ... most of 'em acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. :-\ I guess they had better prospects than me that they decided to dole out the coupons on, but that pretty much did it for me.
To be sure, some of the foreign dealerships were the same way, like starting off with an insultingly high price ($750 "discount" off MSRP, as one Toyota dealership did. As I was walking out, the general manager came running after me, suddenly able to quote $4,000 or so off MSRP.) I never looked back. :sosad:
You know where I did keep looking back, though, Nargie baby?
Yes, my GM dealers (up to 10 of them at one point, though I narrowed it down to about 3 serious contenders by the end.)
I'd like to know what part of haggling with that many dealers over that many months was me "not trying hard enough"? :mad:
And oh, boy, this is a hoot: If maybe only I'd "used the resources here on this forum a little more, [I'd] have been in a Traverse at the same price" for the CX-9. :eek:
First of all, I was ALL over this forum, both asking detailed questions and spouting off opinions just as much as anyone. 8) (Uh, is that a revelation to anyone else who's been around here more than a minute? lol)
Secondly, dude, c'mon now -- I got the CX-9 equivalent of a 1LT (except much-better equipped with standard Bluetooth, automatic dual-zone climate control, anti-whiplash active headrests, etc.) for about $25,000. Oh, that included optional satellite radio, heated seats and mirrors, and wheel locks. :blob:
I've seen people here report some great deals on all trim levels of the Traverse, but anyone recall getting a 1LT -- with no options at all -- at even close to that price? If someone did, I'd bet my next paycheck I still got a far better value when you compare what we got for our money. Yeah, the CX-9 and Trav may be "market-priced" about the same on Edmunds, but believe me, out here in the real world, the CX-9's "True Value" easily undercuts a comparably equipped Traverse.
In fact, I'll admit right now that I was very surprised by that, as I had liked the CX-9 early on, but dismissed it as too far above my budget -- until my wife convinced me to at least email a Mazda dealer to see if they were willing to deal. "Maybe they know how to treat a serious potential buyer," she said. And heck if the little lady wasn't right (again).
And, yeah, **** straight I went mostly with my head, not my heart. 'Cause my head told me, "Hey, now you can pay a lot less and get more (ok, not more interior room, but whatever) -- what's love got to do with it?"
Finally (if anyone is even still reading this essay ::) ) I'd gladly give my life for my country, and yield to no man in my respect for our veterans and the American way, economic or otherwise. I have not served myself, but my late Dad (Korea) and grandfathers, uncles, etc. (WWII) did. Moreover, they are African-American men and they are the ultimate patriots to me, as they sacrificed to serve this great nation fighting fascism and communism only to return home to racism in their own home towns. (But I digress).
But bottom line, the best dealer and carmaker won my business, fair and square, as it should be. It's just a shame that it turned out not to be a Chevy Traverse dealer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.