Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4021D920-7795-4EC0-87EB-F8D7469B0FC7.jpeg
BEDF9F0C-1EA9-4566-9243-680917A0818D.jpeg
Hello! I just bought a 2009 Traverse LTZ and what I thought was just the car needing a wash actually appears to be something else. Does anybody know how to get these white splatter marks off the hood? I’ve only tried washing it but I’m open to suggestions.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
does it appear to be pine tree tar?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello, You could try to use a clay bar? I use Meguires quick detailer spray and their brand clay bar, but I found this video to show you. And since you just bought it, what a great way to get it all cleaned up and start with a fresh coat of wax :)

I hope this helps with the marks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve never took notice to what that would look like on a car to give you a good answer. I will say in some spots it seems like I can feel it like it’s raised but others it seems like it’s apart of the paint.
does it appear to be pine tree tar?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I added it to the Christmas list, hopefully the fam will get it for me!
Hello, You could try to use a clay bar? I use Meguires quick detailer spray and their brand clay bar, but I found this video to show you. And since you just bought it, what a great way to get it all cleaned up and start with a fresh coat of wax :)

I hope this helps with the marks

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sounds like you aren't a detailer... I'd try clay bar then maybe one of the Poorboy remover products (they have a bird **** remover and some tar remover and some other products that are safe for the paint).

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol you got that right. I’ve owned a 97 Bonneville since I was 17. This is my first vehicle since that and one I actually care about! I’m not really a car guy so all of your opinions matter. Thanks all I will try it out and update my post with what worked.
Sounds like you aren't a detailer... I'd try clay bar then maybe one of the Poorboy remover products (they have a bird **** remover and some tar remover and some other products that are safe for the paint).

Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
if clay wont take it off, you may need to get some actual paint correction done. being that you don't have a lot of detail experience, if may be best to farm it out. If you want to try it yourself, get a decent Dual Action Polisher (like the Griots Garage one), some pads, some compound, and get to work!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Get some ScratchX (small black tube on the waxes shelf at Walmart) and a terri cloth towel. Try focusing on and removing just ONE of the spots. RUB THE SH*T OUT OF IT. If it works after some elbow grease and ScratchX, it's only on the surface and can be removed. It'll just take effort and the right products... If ScratchX doesn't do anything - then it's likely damage to the clear coat. That's another story...

·
Registered
329 Posts
If the clay bar didn't remove it that tells me it's probably damage to the paint and not something sitting on the paint. You can try Scratch-X or another scratch remover since they aren't real expensive but I'm not real hopeful at this point. I'd say you're looking at professional correction at a minimum, you may even need to have the paint repaired by a body shop via sanding/clear coat. This sucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts