Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery on a 2011 LTZ. It had a small paint chip on the tailgate under the Chevy emblem that the dealer touched up. The paint dried a grayish color. The dealer wants to repaint the entire tailgate. Opinions or suggestions?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would say have them repaint it, as long as they do it correctly and use the right paint you should be fine. I would take a repaint over having a rock chip... obviously I would prefer neither, but at least they are acknowledging that the chip is there and willing to work with you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm just wondering why this thread is entitled White diamond tri-coat? I thought the Traverse didn't come with this color code. I preferred to have this as opposed to Summit white.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It's on the color list for 2011 Traverse Tricoat White Diamond, new for this year it appears.

Hope GM can match that white , it's a very hard color to match exactly. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
312 Posts
My humble opinion is that it's better in the case of metallic colors in particular to repaint an entire panel or, in this case, the entire liftgate as it can be difficult to get the metal particles in the paint to lay in a matching pattern to the original paint.

·
Registered
465 Posts
andylibby said:
My humble opinion is that it's better in the case of metallic colors in particular to repaint an entire panel or, in this case, the entire liftgate as it can be difficult to get the metal particles in the paint to lay in a matching pattern to the original paint.
I agree with your comment , if the person mixing the paint doesn't do exactly right you will notice the diffence againist the rear fenders. Just had my mirror painted and the red metallic was just off a little, you can see it more in the sunlight , it's a little more orangie and doesn't have that vibrant red metallic like the rest of the vehicle.
If you look hard and long enough your eye will pick it up.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Depending on how bad it is, I would just take the touch up and a $500 cheque. Repainting is very very difficult on regular paint colours, and near impossible on the Tricoat. The dealer told me this when we were deciding on a colour.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Does anyone else notice it but you? If not, leave it alone. Speaking from experience.

A

·
0 Posts
John2010 said:
Just took delivery on a 2011 LTZ. It had a small paint chip on the tailgate under the Chevy emblem that the dealer touched up. The paint dried a grayish color. The dealer wants to repaint the entire tailgate. Opinions or suggestions?
I'm a little late to the party on this one........

I do agree that WDT is a tough one to match; its basically Summit White with a coat of gold flake added and because it's white; the imperfections are easier to see. I had the rear of my 07 Blue/Gold Acadia repainted after a hefty rear end collision. The collision center ordered the paint from GM already mixed and they applied it perfectly to the point that you can't tell where the original paint ends and the repaint starts. They also ordered a complete tailgate assembly from GM; it comes without glass and no paint (except that nice green primer). So I know that the paint on the tailgate was applied by them and to this day I can't see any differences.

So in conclusion; I would completely trust that collision center and their work; unfortunately I have moved away from them :-[

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
I wonder what came of this OP's repaint. he never came back...

On a side note-- saw the 1st WDT Traverse today on the freeway.
Elderly lady driving an LTZ in WDT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My '11 is WDT and it is beautiful if I say so myself. >:D

Ironically, I noticed a paint chip in the same spot as the OP on mine a few days after bringing it home. :banghead: I think my wife did it in the garage when opening up the liftgate.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Well I hope you learn to live with it- or touch it up yourself..
vs a repaint that may lead to the paints not matching.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
crazytalk said:
Ironically, I noticed a paint chip in the same spot as the OP on mine a few days after bringing it home. :banghead: I think my wife did it in the garage when opening up the liftgate.
This is why I've instructed the wife to never open the liftgate in the garage. We have an older garage, that is barely long enough to fit the traverse in, and the door is pretty low, and the last thing I want to happen is have the hatch opened, and scratch our Red Jewell paint. She knows that if she want's to put something in, or take something out of the back, you keep it out of the garage and in the driveway to do so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts