Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I purchased my Traverse (2600 mi and 2 months ago) I have a faint whining noise from the engine or transmission area. It reminds me of what a power steering pump sounds like when its low on fluid. All the fluids are fine so its not any of those. Are you guys getting the same noise? Is it typical for these engines? Its not really loud but I notice it especially when my wife drives away with it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
kawazar said:
It reminds me of what a power steering pump sounds like when its low on fluid. All the fluids are fine so its not any of those.
A bit OT but I found, as have others with Lambdas, that the factory fill of power steering fluid was below the max line and filling it to slightly over helped re steering noises and such.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have the same noise like its comming from the power steering...i will check too if its fill ok.
i have 1600 miles on and its 3 weeks old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you find your fluid level to be where it should be, look for a contact (touch) condition between the power steering hose and AC line in the engine compartment. Does the noise level increase when you accelerate?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here's a stupid question....
I was looking for a half hour and couldn't find the resevior cap. Where do I check the fluid level?? :confused:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Zubius said:
Here's a stupid question....
I was looking for a half hour and couldn't find the resevior cap. Where do I check the fluid level?? :confused:
Not stupid at all. You need to pull off the plastic engine cover. To do this you need to remove the oil fill cap as it is holds it in place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my 2009 Traverse about a month ago. It has 1979 miles. It is currently at the dealership for the whinning Noise. The dealer states it is the power sterring pump. The changed the pump today. However, the whinning noise is still present. They gave me a rental car. The Dealer states the whinning noise may be something they cannot fix. If that happen, I will try to return the car!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have noticed this same noise and mine has 600 miles on it. :sosad: Guess i need to go back to dealer and see what they say. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Mine has the "power steering type noise" as well. Fluid is at "max", noise persists. Dealer ordered a p/s pump, but I'm thinking we're just throwing parts at a unknown problem. Mine has 2600 miles since June.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't brought mine back yet but my noise comes from the drivers side which is where the tranny is. I could hear it yesterday when i backing up and when I started going forward. It seems typical for the Trav. I just don't know if its typical for this tranny.

·
Registered
17 Posts
kawazar said:
I haven't brought mine back yet but my noise comes from the drivers side which is where the tranny is. I could hear it yesterday when i backing up and when I started going forward. It seems typical for the Trav. I just don't know if its typical for this tranny.
may be typical but i want to get a record of it with my dealer with low miles in case i have a problem later on.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gLuv said:
may be typical but i want to get a record of it with my dealer with low miles in case i have a problem later on.
I agree 100%!!! I will bring mine back in few weeks and post what they say.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
If I remember correctly- this is a variable effort power steering vehicle.
It may be that at low idle the pump is noisy---?

·
Registered
23 Posts
tester is correct

Document ID: 2277737

#09-02-32-003: Power Steering Pump Whine or Moan Noise (Inspect Power Steering Lines for Contact) - (May 13, 2009)

Subject: Power Steering Pump Whine or Moan Noise (Inspect Power Steering Lines for Contact)

Models: 2009 Buick Enclave
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2009 GMC Acadia
2009 Saturn OUTLOOK

Condition
Some customers may comment on a whine or moan type noise coming from the engine compartment. This noise typically occurs during low speed turning maneuvers.

Cause
This noise may be caused by a groundout condition due to contact between the power steering line and the A/C line.

Correction

Raise the vehicle and inspect the power steering lines for contact.

• Inspect the power steering line and A/C line for contact at location #1. If there is contact between the lines, bend the A/C line to achieve a 5 mm (13/64 in) clearance between the lines.

• Inspect the power steering line and A/C line for contact at location #2. If there is contact between the lines, bend the bracket to achieve a 25 mm (1 in) clearance between the lines.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
:thumb:thanks. very much appreciated :clap:

MIC said:
tester is correct

Document ID: 2277737

#09-02-32-003: Power Steering Pump Whine or Moan Noise (Inspect Power Steering Lines for Contact) - (May 13, 2009)

Subject: Power Steering Pump Whine or Moan Noise (Inspect Power Steering Lines for Contact)

Models: 2009 Buick Enclave
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2009 GMC Acadia
2009 Saturn OUTLOOK

Condition
Some customers may comment on a whine or moan type noise coming from the engine compartment. This noise typically occurs during low speed turning maneuvers.

Cause
This noise may be caused by a groundout condition due to contact between the power steering line and the A/C line.

Correction

Raise the vehicle and inspect the power steering lines for contact.

• Inspect the power steering line and A/C line for contact at location #1. If there is contact between the lines, bend the A/C line to achieve a 5 mm (13/64 in) clearance between the lines.

• Inspect the power steering line and A/C line for contact at location #2. If there is contact between the lines, bend the bracket to achieve a 25 mm (1 in) clearance between the lines.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Thanks MIC, you've hit the nail on the head :cheers:....... now to show this to my dealer who ordered the p/s pump.

·
Registered
23 Posts
No prob!!!

It is nice to have access to what the technicians have the dealer. Too bad they don't always look for the little stuff.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts