Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit I haven't looked hard but I was just wondering where one can easily obtain this Mobil 1 oil filter...Canadian Tire or Part Source or Napa or....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Copperbeech, I've checked Walmart, Canadian Tire, PartSource & Napa Auto Parts. None have them. In fact, Imperial Oil (Esso & Mobil brands in Canada) doesn't offer Mobil oil filters in Canada - only Mobil lubricants - and those are limited too. We make a drive to Michigan every Victoria Day weekend, and I stock up on stuff for my Harley - including Mobil1 75W90 Gear Lube for the tranny (which I can't find in Ontario). Guess I'll be adding a case of oil filters to our 2010 trip for our new Traverse.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My brother in law recently brought me back 2 of these M1 113 filters from the States. But I am having second thoughts. I intend to stick with the PF48. If you want to buy them off me just let me know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh oh - what made you change your mind? Enquirer minds want to know ;)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Double K said:
Oh oh - what made you change your mind? Enquirer minds want to know ;)
I had seen a very good used oil analysis of an 08 Acadia and he had used the AC Delco filter.

As well Amsoil had issued a TSB *not* recommending the use of its highly regarded EaO47 oil filter in GM 3.6L engines. I just wonder who actually manufactures these Ea filters and maybe just maybe the same company produce the M1-113 ? It just makes me a bit uneasy. So I will stick with GM's own PF48.

·
Registered
44 Posts
On the product - does it say where it's made? Made in USA? or Made in Mexico? or somewhere else?

I went through the "What's the right oil for my car?" on Mobiloil.com. At the end, there was a link to "recommended filter for your vehicle".
Here's what it said;

Current Vehicle:
Year: 2009
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Traverse
Engine Type: 6cyl. 3.6Liter Naturally Aspirated

Filter matches for the vehicle you selected:

Mobil 1
Mobil 1 Model M1113

Other options

Champion Model PH48

Fram Model PH10060

Now I believe most people swear against Fram. However, if the Fram, Champion, and Mobil 1 are all made by the same company / at the same plant - just a different label on the outside (much like hockey sticks ;) ) - then the Mobil 1 is no better than the Fram.
Ironically, you can get Fram in Canada at any of those stores above.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Copper,

Long time no talk... I am using this filter with my last dealer oil change.... got it at www.autozone.com.... It is made by Champion if my memory serves me correctly.... At the mobil web site, there is a phone number to call to talk about oil and/or oil filters.. I called the number months ago and got a guy who said he worked at Champion.... they make several of the high end filters... he rambled them off but I did not write them all down.... If you have technical concerns (he did not have any and listed the 113 as his primary choice for the high end filter market for the Traverse) give the number a call. See what they say and report back....

By the way, was up at Sherkston Shores (Port Colborne, Ont) over the weekend visiting the mother-in-law.... cloudy and rain sat night so not much swimming in Lake Erie. Your customs now are asking for our passports (I thought this would only be us darn Americans). Anyways, been awhile since passing a Tim's and a Beer Store on the same drive. Hope all is well with your family (back to school/college time soon).

- Jeff.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Double K said:
On the product - does it say where it's made? Made in USA? or Made in Mexico? or somewhere else?
I am looking at this M1-113 filter now (My brother in law picked me up 3 while in the States). It says it is made in the USA.

·
Registered
44 Posts
copperbeech said:
I intend to stick with the PF48.
Looks like that's a good idea. In particular, it MAY affect warranty coverage on engine damage.
I find it interesting that the Owner's Manual doesn't say what brand of oil to use, only what type - but is specific when it comes to the oil filter.
I didn't realize this at first, but after reading the internet, I've learned this is GM's High Performance engine. I found this quote in the Service Manual;
"Caution: This engine uses a special high performance oil filter. Use of any other filter may lead to filter failure and/or severe engine damage."

Now I'm not saying that the Mobil / Champion / whatever alternative filter isn't good enough, or better than the AC Delco. And I'm sure there's lots of people who've run alternative products without issue. But for me, I can just see the engine failing 2 years from now, and I catch a tech or a Service Manager on a bad day and they say "Well, you're not using the GM oil filter, so warranty won't cover the repair". I know it's a stretch, and worst case scenario, and I can always get a second opinion from another dealer - but do I really want the hassle of using a non-GM filter. Not really - I like service that's hassle free.

Just my opinion - but I wanted to share the quote from the Service Manual with everyone.

·
Registered
272 Posts
That is how I'm looking at it. I've used Mobil 1 oil filters for years in my cars but I don't want to give them any excuses if something happens. Especially if I'm close to that 100k mileage on the warranty a few years down the road.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Double K said:
I've learned this is GM's High Performance engine. I found this quote in the Service Manual;
"Caution: This engine uses a special high performance oil filter. Use of any other filter may lead to filter failure and/or severe engine damage."
I find it a bit of a stretch that the PF48 is considered a high performance filter....I think of it as simply the OEM filter.
Do we know what other GM engines besides the 3.6L it is used in?

I wonder what oil filter is OEM'd for the new Equinox with its smaller DI engine.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So this leads me to a FOR SALE posting!

I have 3 USA only M1-113 filters. PM me to discuss.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I know the PF48 filter is not HP but I am just playing it safe. Mobil 1 claims on their website that their filter doesn't void warranties. My local dealer will do an OC using Mobil 1 oil but still use the OEM filter. They charge $90 for that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts