Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read earlier that many of you switch to synthetic oil or something instead of the standard one that comes with the Traverse. I'm at about 3k miles and was thinking I should look into it and maybe switch over.

Couple questions I have:

1. What are the benefits in switching to synthetic?
2. Does this need to be done at the dealership or can I go to Jiffy Lube etc.?
3. What brand and kind do I use? Is it the same numeric coding as regular motor oil?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's what I know, and I'm just a girl ;D!

I've always had synthetic oil put in vehicles. I change it every five thousand miles. I've had it done at many oil change places and the dealers. Just tell them. It costs more, but you get more miles out of it. I know you can go more than five thousand, but the math is easy for me. 5, 10, 15, 20, etc. Not that I can't multiply by threes...

Sharon

·
Registered
91 Posts
The only reason that I do full synt is because I got 5qts of Mobil 1 and a K&N oil filter for $25 and I got 8 oil changes. I'm gonna go 6k per change. My traverse says I have 69% left and I have already put 5k on it. That OLM thing is a joke in my eyes. I don't trust it. Once I get my oil analized I might change my mind. But I still rather spend a few extra bucks per year to be safe. Oil is the blood in a car....and not worth the chance.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
id trust the dealer way more--- than the quick lube places.
Too many horror stories about those quick lubes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The dealers are offering good prices, I would stick with them (if it only takes 10 minutes at Jiffy or where ever, did they really check everything?).

My dealer said that these engines are not designed for the full synthetic, the half is good enough (said the 'vets and such need the full).

Use or don't use the OLM. If you do and your engine gets damaged because you went to long, your warranty will cover - either by the 5 year 100K or because the OLM was defective. In my opinion, every 3K is a waste of resources and money. However, I will not go more than 7 months without changing, no matter the mileage. My wifes Aura has almost 6k in a year and a half, one oil change, and the OLM says 29%, so both ways it is due.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ferne said:
Couple questions I have:

1. What are the benefits in switching to synthetic?
2. Does this need to be done at the dealership or can I go to Jiffy Lube etc.?
3. What brand and kind do I use? Is it the same numeric coding as regular motor oil?

Thanks!
I agree mostly with what khansen said, and will just add the following.

1. Longer time between oil changes. How long? No one really knows, but everyone has recommendations. Like khansen said -- it's silly, and a waste of money and the environment to change synthetic every 3,000 miles, but some people get nervous waiting 8-10,000 miles. Ask different mechanics until you get a general consensus, or just a number you can live with.
Holds up better in high-heat operation (which includes stop-and-go traffic).
Nominal increase in fuel mileage
Reduces the environmental impact of used motor oil by reducing the number of oil changes.
May give better cold-weather starting, but that can be dependent on other factors.

2. Anyone, anyplace, from you (not easy for Traverse), to your favorite local mechanic, to Jiffy Lube to the dealer. Just remember that sometimes you pays your money and you takes your chances.

3. Yes, the same "10w30" and such nomenclature applies to synthetic. Check the owner's manual for the Traverse's recommended oil viscosity. They can be pricey.
Brand? Any reputable high-grade one will do, just like for mineral oil. In tests, these tend to come out near the top, with not a whole lot of difference between them:
BP Visco
Mobil 1
Hi-Tec HTO
Pennzoil
Royal Purple
Castrol

·
Registered
72 Posts
I personally think changing oil every 3K miles is a waste regardless of type of oil. I change every 5K always have and always will. On my wifes VW they use synthetic mandatory and owners manual calls for the oil change every 10K

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all.... that is a help. I'll check the dealership first to see what kind of deals they have. I need window washer fluid too and I've been too lazy to find it in the manual. I'll let the dealership top everything off

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts