Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what everyone's opinion is as to when I should put the first wax on? How about a clay? Wife's car has almost 1000 miles on it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I waxed mine within a couple of days of getting it also. I used a Meguiars spray on (not a paste wax).
Are you sure you need to clay a new car? I did clay once on a black car after having the hood repainted by the dealer... There was overspray they didn't get off the windshield and some of the other body panels. It looked super from the right angle, but from the wrong angle, there were horrible hairline scratches. I thought I followed the directions properly, but after that, I'll never do clay again!

A

·
0 Posts
jamesmyboy said:
It looked super from the right angle, but from the wrong angle, there were horrible hairline scratches. I thought I followed the directions properly, but after that, I'll never do clay again!
IMO; the clay did not cause those hairline scratches

·
Registered
860 Posts
I agree with the last post--the clay bar did not cause those imperfections.

Ask your dealer if they waxed the car before you took delivery. Otherwise, per my Chevy dealer's body shop, you should let the paint cure 30 days before you wax it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wax? What's wax?

Just kidding.

My car had been sitting on the dealer's lot for 3 months when I got it so i waxed it (liquid wax- Turtle Ice brand) the first weekend I had it at home.

·
Registered
186 Posts
purchased last day of july, figured dealer must have done something to make it look so good and slippery, so i waited till early october...thats 2 months, approx....used Meguiars NXT 2.0, couldn"t be happier...still beading and looks great, even though the wife insists on going through "brushless" car washes all the time!!! :banghead:

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
When in a hurry I use a brushless and clothless car wash near by. Just sprays water and soap at high pressure. Does pretty good as long as the Outlook isn't too dirty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, you should Clay a new car.
There are rail shavings in the paint from the ride your car took to get to you. Plus, the wash monkeys, that washed & dried your car while it sat on the lot, used the same towel for all the cars they dried. You need to get those impurities out of the paint. Plus you need to use a slight polish to remove the fine scratches they put in your new paint, and then you need to protect it with a wax and/or sealant.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
RedhotGTO said:
Yes, you should Clay a new car.
There are rail shavings in the paint from the ride your car took to get to you. Plus, the wash monkeys, that washed & dried your car while it sat on the lot, used the same towel for all the cars they dried. You need to get those impurities out of the paint. Plus you need to use a slight polish to remove the fine scratches they put in your new paint, and then you need to protect it with a wax and/or sealant.
100% correct.

I used to work at 2 dealerships in high school, as a so called "detailer". I can tell you this, I didn't know jack about detailing then, and I was taught by a guy who had done so for 20+ years, in a good sized dealership, for this area of the country. After having my own actual detailing business in college, I can tell you that you want to wax a car as soon as you can. The wax that most dealerhips put on (at least around here because all of the detail dept. are supplied by the same company ) is not nearly the quality as even the cheaper over the counter waxes at your local Walmart. The wax a dealerhship uses is just like the car wash. It's made to make the car look good now, and it starts to deminish in five days. This offers very little protection against harsh elements, and is there as a quick gloss enhancer, just like a glaze. You can never wax a factory paint job too ealry. The modern paint is heat cured, and has most likely sat either at a rail yard for dstribution, or on a dealer lot for 30+ days anyways. Clay to get the rail dust off ( I have never seen or felt a new car that doesn't have some) and get it waxed ASAP if you want to keep that new car, or even make it better than new, shine.

This info. is from my experience, and is by no means "law" but I have a truck with almost 200k miles on it, and 10 years onl on orig. paint, and it still looks nearly as good as the day it came off the lot. Oh, and the truck is BLACK. ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
thanks, weasel, now i feel guilty

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
staciesbaby said:
thanks, weasel, now i feel guilty
No Reason to feel guilty, you're paint will forgive you. You are in no way doing a dis-service to your paint by not waxing right away, as GM uses a good hard clear coat, and you will more than likely have great protection through the winter on factory paint only. Just get the Traverse a good Spa day in the Spring. ;D :happy:

·
Registered
9 Posts
GXPWeasel said:
100% correct.

The wax a dealerhship uses is just like the car wash.
Absolutely correct. My dealer indicated that they had waxed my car. When I asked them how, they said they hydroshined it. Pressed further, it's something they add to the water, aka car wash 'polish'.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, gotta wait for winter here, or at least fall to really set in so it's cool enough to wash/wax the car. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
jimj said:
Well, gotta wait for winter here, or at least fall to really set in so it's cool enough to wash/wax the car. :banghead:
Don't let it get below 60* though, or it won't turn out well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
When is it time to wax= when the weather is good!

I also use the Maguires Spray on wax between buffings. Also I'm pretty impressed at how well the Maguires Spray brand really is. I've used it twice since the e d of April and it's made a dramatic improvement to the shine of the paint as well as the depth of color.
I'm satisfied.

IF anybody doubts bow well the Maguires Spray really is they should give it a try. :thumb:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got my 2013 Traverse at the end of August. Yes about 1 1/2 weeks ago. First thing I did was put it in the garage, out of the sun etc and hand wash it. Then I took the clay bar to it. After washing you could feel but barely see some sap spots on the car. Guess it was parked near a tree at the dealership. (The tree in my front yard is a Weeping Willow and when the wind blows it puts out very fine drops of sap - I park in my garage all the time).

The clay bar took care of all of this and made the finish feel very smooth. (I clay bar my car and my wife's BMW at least twice a year - tried to get her to do it or my son but well enough said on that one. ) I then used the Meguiar's Gold Class™ Carnauba Plus Premium Wax. (Really like this product!). Then after a beer, or two to reward myself I tackled the interior. I went over every nook and cranny and it is amazing how much dirt was there. (I put a new filter bag for drywall dust in my shop vac so I can really see how much dirt there is.

In between washes I use Ultimate Quik Detailer™ Detailer by Meguiar's or Final Inspection® Protectant to spot clean/shine etc. The Final Inspection Protectant is in the vehicle all the time to allow me to clean off bird droppings etc quickly and easily. (My wife says I am obsessive but she sure likes how I keep her black BMW detailed and looking like it just came out of the showroom.)

But, when to put the first wax on was the question - I say as soon as you take delivery and clean the car yourself.

Alan

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can wax it the day you bring it home. The paint was sprayed on the vehicle weeks/months before the car hits the showroom floor. Plenty of time for the paint to cure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts