Traverse Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, Happy Father's Day to all the Dads!

Just wondering why I don't notice any weight on my rims like I typically do? Those ribbed things I see on the inside of the rim, are those the weights for balancing the tires?

When I need new tires down the road, are they going to be able to balance the tires the same way, or will they have to hammer on weights to the outside and inside of the rims? I really like the clean look right now.

THanks,
Mark

·
Registered
150 Posts
The ribbed weights you see on the inside area of the rim are used for balancing your wheel assembly. Most any shop is capable of using/applying this type of weight for balancing purposes. The type that clip on (as you've mentioned 'hammered on'), are the "old school" method. Newer aluminum rims and specialty wheels use the type that are glued/applied.

Happy fathers day!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I didn't look at my rims recently, but I don't think that they have the lip that those hammered on weights attatch to so I don't think that they are gonna have much choice but to use the other stick on type weights.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, that is good to know. I really like the looks (or lack there of) of the sticky ones. Nice not to see weights hammered on the side.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
when I recently took my Impala to get new tires put on...
they use some type of cleaner to clean the inner part where they will stick on those weights...
unfortunately- that liquid--- ran down some sides and onto the front side of the rims....
this left stains on the clearcoat of the rim....
I used Armor all wheel cleaner to try to remove this stuff... most of it came off--- but everytime I clean those rims-- I can see where the cleaner left its trail...

so--- for the traverse-- I plan on removing the rims and cleaning the inside myself-- this so that I dont get this stuff to stain the outer rims surface.

·
Registered
150 Posts
They probably didn't rinse the rim off with clear water after applying the cleaner. Go figure, they'd have to clean the entire rim then.

So now you're left with the chore of doing a detail job on your rims before you take your Traverse into the shop for balancing/rotation.

I wonder if these applied weights are any more prone (or less prone) to being thrown like the clip-on style... :-\

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
well you know-- I do alot of running- (marathon training)...
And I see lets of weights on the streets.
The old style and the new style...
It could be I see more new style-- because theres more cars with new style rims...
But I do see them...

·
Registered
150 Posts
A little off topic... but... I go up to about 5K routinely and 7.2K is the longest run I've done. Marathon distance, I would never do it. I hold that you guys are plain crazy. ;) But I applaud you for your efforts in that regard. It takes a big set of 'stones' to get you through a marathon. :cheers:

More and more vehicles are coming with aluminum rims, chromed, painted, etc. Not like the old days where it was just Centerlines or nothin'!

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
:cheers:

Thanks... running is my way of stress relief I guess.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Over the past 1000 miles or so, I'm seriously thinking some of the weights have fallen off my Traverse. It's noticeably buzzy at highway speeds. And I had them balanced the last oil change I did. Not happy about that.

Of all the vehicles I've owned, the tires are often the worst part I have had to deal with. Out of round tires really seem to plague me too :angryfire: Trying to get an out of round tire replaced on warranty is almost impossible.

·
Registered
150 Posts
There's a threshold for the road force variance that will be cause for warranty replacement. I think it's 18 Lbs. Anything below 5 Lbs and you won't really even notice it. But when you start to get up towards 18 Lbs, you really feel it. Often the tire technician will try "match" rotation, i.e. spinning the rubber on the rim such that it's out of round condition is matched up better (offsetting) with the out of round condition of the rim itself. This is a hit-and-miss type of operation and can end up making it better or much worse. This is where good technicians earn their keep in finding the sweet spot.

We all want that elusive 'smooth as glass' ride quality. But each time you do a road-force variance balancing, you end up going out of pocket $100. Convincing the dealer to do it under warranty is basically a repeated trip to the dealership. You have to keep coming back for the same "vibration problem" before they finally send it out to get it road-force tested.

For you non-warranty folks... Suppose you have a bad tire and you've already gone $60 for regular balancing (didn't fix it) then did road force $100 and you're already at the cost of simply replacing the faulty tire out of pocket. But wait, there's more... isn't the rule you must replace two tires at the same time? Boy, the whole experience leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. :banghead: :angryfire:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I love the epoxy coating on the inside of the 18 inch aluminum rims. Today was the first time I had the wheels off in 5500 miles and loved the inside of the rims. A few squirts with simple green and a soft brush and it looked brand new. I am always concerned about tape weights falling off. Years ago, we used to tape over the weights so they wouldn't fall off if you parked with them at the 12:00 position. Found some aluminum tape for a/c ducts and taped over the weights to make them pretty close to waterproof. Wrote a longer write up a while ago but the photo was too large and nothing posted. This is the inside of the rim with aluminum tape over the weights.

Ray
2010 Travelers Ed.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts