Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing oil on my 2010 but looking for the best filter to use. I'm going with the Pennzoil ultra oil and looking for a filter that can handle 10K on this truck. I saw the Fram Xtended Guard at Walmart, which says guaranteed for 10K, cost about $9. Also looking at Mobil 1 and Bosch Distance Plus, both about $13 a piece. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why don't just use PF-48 for $3.xx and change the filter twice or even three times in one oil change like I am gonna to do? It will be better than whatever brand you use. When I changed oil/filter at 2600mile, the oil came out of the filter was just like mud :(. I don't think the bigger PF-63 can be as good as 2X PF48.

With current location, it is very easy to take it off just open the engine hood and also there are some tricks to make it mess free.

CGIM5804 said:
Changing oil on my 2010 but looking for the best filter to use. I'm going with the Pennzoil ultra oil and looking for a filter that can handle 10K on this truck. I saw the Fram Xtended Guard at Walmart, which says guaranteed for 10K, cost about $9. Also looking at Mobil 1 and Bosch Distance Plus, both about $13 a piece. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
994 Posts
CGIM5804 said:
I'm going with the Pennzoil ultra oil and looking for a filter that can handle 10K on this truck.
The OEM PF48 will very likely have no problem with that distance but your (any?) oil will struggle trying to protect your engine for that distance. Please see the extensive UOA thread for more discussion of this very topic.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The UOA's I've had done on P Ultra show a 7500 mi interval on changes. I wouldn't go anymore than that. Also, the PF48 does an excellent job according to the UOA's as well. I posted all of my UOA's in the UOA thread.

·
Registered
139 Posts
CGIM5804 said:
I would go with the recommended PF48 and Penz Plat or Ultra and NO more than 4K to 5K with this DI engine. Others here will try and go the distance but not me and I also think the OLM needs to recalibrated BIG TIME.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The PF63 although technically OEM only for 2011 MY does fit just fine for any Lambda MY and has greater capacity then the PF48 so technically it would be a better choice for a longer OCI.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kawazar said:
The UOA's I've had done on P Ultra show a 7500 mi interval on changes. I wouldn't go anymore than that. Also, the PF48 does an excellent job according to the UOA's as well. I posted all of my UOA's in the UOA thread.
I might just do that or even drop it to 5K and change the oil twice a year. As far as the filter, they make a UPF48R, which is a "racing" filter for Corvettes. What do you think of that?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
CGIM5804 said:
I might just do that or even drop it to 5K and change the oil twice a year. As far as the filter, they make a UPF48R, which is a "racing" filter for Corvettes. What do you think of that?
My guess is you're going to be paying more for the "R" part of the filter, than what it's worth. I'd stick with a reputable filter, like the several mentioned above, and go with 5k mile filter changes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The UPF48R filter was talked about on the Outlook forum. Here is a link to the posts http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=115.msg6157#msg6157

Here is a cut from my post of information copied from elsewhere. It appears as though the guts are the same, just a stronger metal can, so a waste of money for our application.

The UltraguardTM Gold UPF48R filter (U is for Ultra and R is for Racing) is black in color, has a thicker exterior shell and can be identified as GM part number 12626224. The internal components are the same in both the UPF48R and the PF48 oil filters. The UPF48R can be used in applications where the PF48 is specified.”

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
medicrxdoc said:
The UPF48R filter was talked about on the Outlook forum. Here is a link to the posts http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=115.msg6157#msg6157

Here is a cut from my post of information copied from elsewhere. It appears as though the guts are the same, just a stronger metal can, so a waste of money for our application.

The UltraguardTM Gold UPF48R filter (U is for Ultra and R is for Racing) is black in color, has a thicker exterior shell and can be identified as GM part number 12626224. The internal components are the same in both the UPF48R and the PF48 oil filters. The UPF48R can be used in applications where the PF48 is specified.”
True, but it also says:

ACDelco Ultraguard Gold Oil Filters. Protecting engines better than any other oil filter on the market, ACDelco Ultraguard Gold Oil Filters are built using state-of-the-art filter technology that helps them reduce engine wear by 74%. In addition, ACDelco Ultraguard Gold Oil Filters remove contaminants before they enter the engine with the highest efficiency rating on the market at 98%, trapping particles as small as 8-10 microns. Ensure a fresh supply of oil to the bearings, rings and other moving parts. Have a Teflon-coated gasket that protects against leakage and makes them easier to install and remove.

8-10 Microns? I'm not sure the regular Duraguard filters are that good, I have to think there is a little more to it that just a higher burst strength when they are double the price of the regular PF48. In any case, picked up a couple at a local dealer, cost $34 for two so $17 a piece, a few more dollars than say a Mobil 1 or K&N but I think its safer just in case something happens. Figure they can't say I was using the wrong filter!! The scary part in all this, is when I called several dealers none had any idea what I was talking about and this is a required filter on some model Vettes. One dealer I went to had six vettes sitting in the service area, one was registered the others were new, he told me that's what they use on all the Vettes they service :eek:
If you own a Vette, I would check the filter!!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If I owned a Vette, there is now way I'd have a dealership change the oil. I've worked at too many dealerships to know that many of the lower guys on the pole ( L.O.F. guys ) don't care or pay attention enough, thus being the reason they are LOF guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts