Traverse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we have seen from multiple UOAs of oil from this 3.6L DI engine, this engine, for lack of a better word, is hard on oil. Some higher than expected wear #, persisting higher than could be attributed to engine 'break in' seems common to many UOAs on these Lambda forums. I think some of us are now starting to experiment with different brands and viscosities hoping to get better results and so moving away from the ubiquitous M1 5W30.

I am curious as to what oils you guys are using or planning to use next OCI and if you also plan on doing UOA(s).

I am hoping that given enough UOAs of a variety of oils we are more likely to hit on a oil(s) that provide (very) good protection for this engine.

I'll start:

I currently am running German Castrol 0W30. It will be in from late March until late July. I will UOA it.

Previously I had used QHorsepower 5W30 and Petro Canada 0W30.

UOAs shown here:

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=691.45 (reply #51)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I'll try Penz Ultra ($28.00 5qts vs $23.00 5qts of PP or M1) next with a PF48 and then do a UOA, this probably wont happen until late summer :-\. There has been talk of a UPF48 filter on these forums that is for the late model Vette, is this the same filter for the Lambdas just better? If it failed would there be a warrenty issue because it's not the recommended filter for the 3.6 by GM, I would think not but you never know that's why I went back to the PF48 from the M1-113. Has anyone used a UPF48 on a 3.6DI yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6Sixathome said:
Has anyone used a UPF48 on a 3.6DI yet?
I believe Lonestar over at the Enclave forum uses UPF48. Although for the UOAs I have seen it appears that the OEM PF48 does just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
6Sixathome said:
I'll try Penz Ultra ($28.00 5qts vs $23.00 5qts of PP or M1) next with a PF48 and then do a UOA, this probably wont happen until late summer :-\.
6, I am looking forward to seeing the results of using PUtra given that the only very good UOA I have seen for this engine was with its sister oil Pennzoil Platinum. As I recall kawazar is likely to use this oil as well in the near future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
I purchased the P Ultra yesterday and will be changing it next week. We have a trip in 2 weeks that should be over 2000 miles so it will be a good test for the new oil. It will take a few months before I change again (maybe June or July) and get the analysis for the P Ultra. But, I have high hopes just like everyone else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kawazar said:
I purchased the P Ultra yesterday and will be changing it next week.
Do you plan to UOA this current fill? (M1?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,568 Posts
im currently running Dino Valvoline 5w30. I have about 2600 miles on it.
With Los Angeles weather conditions 50-85 degrees. Remote Start every morning and afternoon, and my driving style- im getting about 100 miles per 1% of the OLM.
I plan on running the oil till I hit 6000. (MAYBE 6500).

Im basing the above 6000 miles on my last UOA (5000 miles and 50% OLM). which indicated I could still go a little more- (had a TBN of 2). This would leave the OLM at 40% or so- but thats to be seen....
Once I get a good Idea of what the engine does to normal oil (in my conditions) then I may try Synthetic.
But I realize that my engine is still new- (10,000) and ill still have high wear metal #'s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rbarrios said:
im currently running Dino Valvoline 5w30.
I am looking foward to seeing the results (i.e UOAs) with dino oils.

But I also hope someone will use and sample Valvoline SYNPOWER 5W30.

rbarrios said:
With Los Angeles weather conditions 50-85 degrees.
LA weather has to be a plus for you re the condition of the oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
I have never found it necessary to use any oil other than the manufacturer's recommended type in any of my vehicles. Currently I get my oil and filter changed every 5000 miles and have never had an oil related engine issue. I use whatever brand of 5W-30 my mechanic puts in the car. If it meets API specs it will do just fine.

I'm at the age where I now let others do my auto maintenance and don't care how a change of .002% of some chemical in my oil may reduce my overall engine life by 3 weeks. I won't be keeping the vehicle for 200,000 miles anyway.

Bayner66
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Cooperbeech, I will UOA my current fill of M1. For me the UOA is cheap money to keep an eye on things. I keep my cars to 175k or more. The Suburban I traded for the Traverse had 177k on it. Plus, since I'm expecting to use all the 100k on the warranty before the 5 yrs. comes up it doesn't hurt to have documentation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kawazar said:
I keep my cars to 175k or more. The Suburban I traded for the Traverse had 177k on it. Plus, since I'm expecting to use all the 100k on the warranty before the 5 yrs. comes up it doesn't hurt to have documentation.
You and I sound alike. We keep our cars to the end. The last 3 vehicles we traded in (or dumped ::) ) lasted 14, 13 and 9 years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,568 Posts
150,000 for me...
but we still have the 03 Trailblazer...with 154,000....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Bayner66 said:
I have never found it necessary to use any oil other than the manufacturer's recommended type in any of my vehicles. Currently I get my oil and filter changed every 5000 miles and have never had an oil related engine issue. I use whatever brand of 5W-30 my mechanic puts in the car. If it meets API specs it will do just fine.

I'm at the age where I now let others do my auto maintenance and don't care how a change of .002% of some chemical in my oil may reduce my overall engine life by 3 weeks. I won't be keeping the vehicle for 200,000 miles anyway.

Bayner66
im w/ you on this my next change will be reg dino 5w30...although i do change out every 3k....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Dino oil here, 6,000 mile changes.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top