Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2010 traverse and the temp gauge is reading kind of high i live in cali and it gets really hot where I live around 111 and some days my temp gauge will say 200 idle right in center I do drive a lot back and forth picking up my kids school etc..and itll reach way over the mark but my car drives excellent so how will I know for sure if my car is overheating or if anything is wrong itll go as far up to like 2 lines under the red line please help I dnt want to get stranded with my kids while driving

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Normal temperature on the gauge is a touch over the center mark. This is where my needle stay when fully warmed. I have a 2017 but it is the same.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I have a 2010 also.
The needle hardly ever moves.
The gauge says 210.

when I have my scanner on it- live temp readings are 190-195 if vehicle is moving.... and goes up a bit under hot temps/traffic. so in the background- the temps fluctuate a bit-- but the gauge is 'dumbed down' to move very little under NORMAL circumstances.
If its moving that much-- something else is wrong.
I suspect that you may have a weep hole leak from the water pump.... causing low coolant levels in the reservoir- AND the radiator.
You will have to check both.
Since its fluctuating--- I suspect youre low in your radiator- and you have air in the system.
less cooling capacity.
When you slow down - engine gets warm--- once you start moving RPMs get some coolant moving and thats when you see more coolant being circulated- and it picks up heat-- and you see that rise in temp etc.

here is a HOW TO SPOT a water pump leak

https://www.traverseforum.com/33-engine-drivetrain/2235-how-spot-water-pump-failure-pics-10.html

checking coolant level in the bottle.

accessing the radiator cap

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 and it sits on the halfway mark unless I sit for a while then it has went up to the next notch but it cools down. Is this normal?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Mine will stay just above or below the middle mark (maybe the thickness of the needle above or below) during normal driving. Similar to my old Silverado, if I drive with the AC off and do a lot of idling in traffic or at a drive thru the temp will go to the next mark and then the fans kick on and bring it back down.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 2019 runs constant at one hash mark to the left of middle mark. I also use a ScanGauge and it almost always reads 188 degrees plus/minus 2 degrees.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thermostats are 195 deg. and start to crack open when approaching that temp. . So seeing 210 in the older vehicles was normal.
I think that's why newer GM's do not have temp. # on the gauge's anymore as to not worry folks. In fact when I got my numberless '15 Malibu I pulled out the temp gun to verify it's thermostat was OK as gauge didn't go to 12 o'clock like my older Chevy cars and trucks. '20 Traverse reads the same as the '15 Malibu.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts