Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of tri-lambs, I understand that Lambda is a math equation, but what is a Lambda platform? or better Why is it called a Lambda platform?
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
161 Posts
In the case of General Motors, "Lambda" has no specific meaning beyond that it is the corporation's line of four crossover vehicles (Saturn Outlook, Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and the Traverse, of course).

Lambda happened to be the next Greek-letter code name up for this new platform (There's already Delta, Theta, and a few others, I think).

And by "platform," it just means that all four of those CUV's are built around the same shared basic major components (engine, transmission, safety engineering, etc.) with different outward appearances.

Hope that helped! [/color]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Back when I worked for GM/Buick (1976-1986) the cars all had letter codes, The X car was the Skylark, the J car was the Skyhawk, the A car was the Regal.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's interesting.
Seems Chrysler followed that lead: Who can forget their "K" cars?
Which, actually, I'm sure a lot of people would rather forget!

·
Registered
426 Posts
duayned is correct. Nearly every car platform in GM now has a greek alphabet name. They switched to the greek alphabet (delta, epsilon, kappa, gamma, lambda, etc) once they went through the entire standard alphabet with their previous platforms, as you pointed out :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts