Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I wonder is why aren't Traverses perfect. I mean it. I understand assembly errors, but I can't reconcile myself to the list of errors that can be attributed to design shortcomings and flaws. As long as humans have been making cars -- and most of that time with a fraction of the computerized design and engineering assists -- you'd think the basic systems would function flawlessly. And, GM breathed life into the Traverse two full years after it's oldest siblings. Don't get me wrong, Traverse is a great car by any measure, but why can't it be a perfect car?

Listed below is a short list of issues I think should never have been issues if the designers and engineers had done their jobs just the smallest bit better:

- Steering noises, clunks, squeaks, rattles, and defective racks
- Seat belt recall
- Numerous engine codes
- Door trim pieces that peel on LTZs
- Transmissions that must be coaxed into downshifting smoothly and have had multiple software flashes
- Front seat head restraints that are uncomfortable for the shoulders of many drivers

Why can't a vehicle we all love be free of these nuisances?

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
andylibby said:
What I wonder is why aren't Traverses perfect. I mean it. I understand assembly errors, but I can't reconcile myself to the list of errors that can be attributed to design shortcomings and flaws. As long as humans have been making cars -- and most of that time with a fraction of the computerized design and engineering assists -- you'd think the basic systems would function flawlessly. And, GM breathed life into the Traverse two full years after it's oldest siblings. Don't get me wrong, Traverse is a great car by any measure, but why can't it be a perfect car?

Listed below is a short list of issues I think should never have been issues if the designers and engineers had done their jobs just the smallest bit better:

- Steering noises, clunks, squeaks, rattles, and defective racks
- Seat belt recall
- Numerous engine codes
- Door trim pieces that peel on LTZs
- Transmissions that must be coaxed into downshifting smoothly and have had multiple software flashes
- Front seat head restraints that are uncomfortable for the shoulders of many drivers

Why can't a vehicle we all love be free of these nuisances?
I don't seem to have the transmission issues that you are speaking about. I do fully agree with the head restraints. Both front and middle seats are very very poor design. Even a $15,000 Dodge Caravan has better head restraints than my $35,000 Traverse. Its pretty ridiculous.

I also agree with the seatbelt recall. I will NOT allow GM to cut my trim pieces. If they want to replace with new, fine, but I don't want any old tech taking a hack saw to my trim.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
As long as the human element is involved ..... with their computers, there will be flaws.

Dollar wise, the Traverse can cost 40K, but the heart of the Traverse is a 25K ride. The rest is icing on the cake, but doesn't add to the quality of the vehicle.

Bob

·
Registered
104 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
As long as the human element is involved ..... with their computers, there will be flaws.

Dollar wise, the Traverse can cost 40K, but the heart of the Traverse is a 25K ride. The rest is icing on the cake, but doesn't add to the quality of the vehicle.

Bob
AMEN!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Every car model line eventually or initially has either design flaws or things that after people start using them, it's realized that it needs to be revised / addressed.

Geesh, for that matter, Fischer Price, the toy manufacturer, just announced a recall of over 10 million kids toys that can cut or injure children. No doubt this wasn't 'planned' when they made the molds and beta test designs for these toys.

Nothing is perfect. Get used to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts