Traverse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Well I would say don't tow more than 2000lbs because that's all your rated at without the tow package.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I would agree, although I'm sure you are asking, because you want to pull something heavier than 2,000 lbs. ( which even a small trailer can carry ) but don't have the factory trailer tow package on your Traverse.

With this I will say, sure, you COULD pull more than the 2,000 lbs. occasionally, and probably be fine. However, after time, this will wear on the transmission that isn't made for it, the engine will run warmer, due to less cooling capacity, and heavan forbid you are ever in an accident while pulling something greater than 2,000 lbs, as you could be sued for neglagence. I would stik to recommendations.

·
Registered
47 Posts
what you lack without the tow package is the heavy duty cooling and the tow button for higher shift points. The structural portion is the same if you put on an aftermarket class III hitch. So you can tow up to 5500 pounds and not hurt the cars structure. The cooling and shifting are where you need to make the decision. what i'd consider in this decision is 1) how far are you going? Around town? I wouldn't worry about it. Long haul on vacation? Probably not the best idea. 2) Outside temperature? Summer, bad. Winter, not as much. 3) you can shift manually with the M mode on tranny. 4) flat or hilly terain.

Of course you will risk warrantee issues if you do have a problem so it's up to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts