Traverse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In terms of well.....everything, but of course the main concern is warranty. So what does that spell for us, in plain English?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Gov't would take the warranty over....we'll see how that goes. I bought the extended warranty package that any ASE mechanic can service and the bill will be paid. I think my warranty is an outside company and not direct from GM.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Going BK for GM means dropping their debt...they'll still be around long enough to use your 3yr warranty. Hard part is that you may have to drive 100miles to find a dealer to fix it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
All in all, it means very very little for 99% of us that already own any GM vehicle. Warranties will still be covered. Dealers will still be around, and no they will most likely NOT remove any dealerships that service outer areas. The dealerships most likely to go are ones that are only within a few miles of each other, leaving fewer in very populated areas. So more than likely you'll only drive a couple more miles, not 100 to get any warranty work, if needed.

We've been through this before. Dodge filed bankruptcy in the 80's and it was a non-event for owners then. It will be a non-event this time too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just read an article concerning warranties if GM goes bankrupt. It claims GM may not honor warranties for autos bought before March 2009. You would have to pay to have your car fixed then stand on line with all the other creditors and try to collect. . I hope this is not the case , if it is I will never buy another GM car. I have purchased 6 GM cars in the last 12 years of which 3 were purchased from the same dealer. In my opinion if they go in this direction it truly is the Kiss Of Death for GM .....and me as a customer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is a cut from an article....interested to see how that $9bill holds up!

Warranties would continue to be honored throughout a bankruptcy proceeding, though payments might be slowed because of the additional steps required to get a judge's approval to pay the bills. But as of Sept. 30, GM held more than $9 billion in its warranty reserve fund, and if one assumes the company has managed its accruals correctly, this is supposed to be a sufficient amount to pay the claims on all vehicles already sold.

·
Registered
417 Posts
njboy, I've also owned 6 GM's in the past 15 years. Only 2 of those 6 ever needed warranty work. Hence why I'm not overly concerned.

On a similar note: I used to buy extended warranties for all my cars. Used them more often, but not by much. My Traverse is the first I've bought without extended warranty. I figure out that my cost of the extended warranty was more than I ever paid for any of the repairs I had under those warranties. Instead of buying the warranty, I just put the cash in savings and will use that instead.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Did anyone get this e-mail?

-------------

For nearly 10 decades, Chevrolet has strived to earn the honor of "America's Brand." Tens of millions of customers just like you have trusted us to serve their transportation needs...and we value that confidence. That is why I am writing to you today. As everyone knows, these are turbulent times. The daily surge of headlines about the automotive industry can get discouraging. But I wanted to be certain that you know one very important fact:
Chevrolet is focused on being your car company...committed to fulfilling your transportation needs in sales and service...both now and in the future.

I've had the honor of leading this Chevrolet team for more than four years...and I can assure you that our people and our dealers are committed to your complete satisfaction with your Chevy ownership experience.

We cherish our proud 98-year history. But more important, we look forward to our exciting future. And we've already begun reinventing Chevrolet to serve your needs more effectively than ever. For example, no one offers more models with 30 MPG highway or better than Chevy.¹ And right now, we are reengineering our showroom — with cars like our award-winning Malibu...with America's Best Truck, Silverado...with the newest star in family vehicles, the 8-passenger Traverse...and with the 21st century sports car, Camaro.²

Our 2010 Equinox will head to your local Chevy dealer this summer. And two more exciting products are scheduled to begin production next year — first is the awesome new Cruze, our new entry in the Compact Car segment, providing surprising cargo capacity and comfortable seating for five. Then we will begin production of the Chevy Volt, the world's first Extended-Range Electric Vehicle. Volt is tomorrow's hope for an energy-challenged world...and the embodiment of the new Chevrolet. And all these new products are just the beginning!

As a valued member of the Chevy family, I hope you can see that you're part of a rich history and an exciting future. And we deeply appreciate your business. I'll stay in touch on all the happenings at Chevrolet. In the meantime, if you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact Chevy Customer Service at [email protected].

Above all — thanks for letting us be such an important part of your life. And we look forward to celebrating our centennial with you in 2011.

Sincerely,

Ed Peper
North America Vice President, Chevrolet

·
Registered
14 Posts
More importantly, "What does GM bankruptcy filing mean for us POTENTIAL owners?". I've been on the fence for months, and now I need to decide if I should wait until after filing for a better deal, and risk losing my $2500 GM earnings, and possibly 0% financing. I don't think "Cash for Clunkers" will affect me since my oldest car is a 2002, but will Uncle Sam be offering any other incentives to stimulate sales?

·
Registered
417 Posts
fdefulvio, I seriously doubt the incentives will change if BK occurs. But, if they do they'll most likely go away. So nows the time, if you are ready.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is what we at our dealership feel, incentives will be reduced or go completely away, GM will produce fewer vehicle to satisfy the fewer dealers, the fewer dealers will be more like Toyota in terms of supply and demand. GM put a window sticker the vehicles for a reason they feel that is a far price IE the Camaro is selling very well at sticker and many dealers are getting several thousand over. In the case of Toyota they never discounted there cars until the market got soft. So if you are waiting you could and probably will pay more for the best built cars which is what GM has put them selves in position to continue to do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I kind of agree with danthechevyman, I think most of the rebates will go away, the GM points will go away, the strong dealers will charge more and the dealers on the fence will probaly wait until next year to unload if there are any left. Could be wrong, but I think if you have any large amount of GM points I would use them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It looks like you guys were correct in predicting that the Traverse incentives would go down in June. We purchased a 2LT on May 30 and took advantage of $3,000 in rebates ($2,250 available to all & $750 private rebate offered by GM). There was an additional $1,000 GM loyalty rebate available that we did not qualify for since we do not have another GM vehicle. Had we waited until June 5, our rebate total would have been $1,500 ($750 available to all & $750 private rebate offered by GM). It will be interesting to see what happens next month.

Also, I noticed that the MSRP on older production Traverses (ours was made in November) is $1,000 less than more recent production Traverses. In addition, GM seems to have reduced the discount from MSRP for GM Supplier pricing. So, it looks like older production Traverses cost about $1,500 less with GM Supplier pricing versus more recently made Traverses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was concerned that I might lose my GM earnings after the bankruptcy filing, so I also purchased my 2LT the last week of May. I actually got the $3000 top-off offer that week also, which gave me an additional $500 on top of my $2500 in earnings. I took the 0% financing instead of the rebates.

My Traverse had a build date of 5/09, so it had the higher MSRP along with the bogus increase in Invoice and Supplier pricing. I was able to get the dealer to give me an additional $700 for my trade to make up the difference. Lovin it so far. The only problem is that my wife drives it, so I only get to drive it in the evenings and weekends.

Does anybody know if they have stopped production on the 09's? My other concern was selection. My dealer had to swap with another one to get the options I wanted.

·
Registered
161 Posts
fdefulvio said:
I was concerned that I might lose my GM earnings after the bankruptcy filing, so I also purchased my 2LT the last week of May. I actually got the $3000 top-off offer that week also, which gave me an additional $500 on top of my $2500 in earnings. I took the 0% financing instead of the rebates.
Fdefulvio -- Congrats! First i'd heard that you bought your 2LT, and glad to hear you made it just under the wire (before the incentives went way down - not that I can blame GM).
Sounds like your long wait was worth it, given the deal you wrested from them.
I don't know about during the rest of this recession, but as the economy recovers, we will no longer find great cars at the big discounts we've all gotten.
There will not only be higher demand, but obviously fewer dealerships to compete with one another -- for all brands.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts