Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I washed the Traverse today and noticed my rims are already corroded!! WTF! It only has 7000 miles on it and it's washed every 2 weeks. All 4 wheels are like this and no, they have not been removed yet for a rotation. :angryfire:

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Wow, that is unbelievable!! I am sure that would be covered under warranty. I think that those rims maybe defective.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
This is one of the reasons I bought an LS.. My last truck was a 2007 Colorado and the rims did the exact same thing. The Chrome even pealed off in a few spots all from road salt.

They replaced them and I bought winter rims for it.

Plan on getting rims and tires for the LS and using the old ones for the winter.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm taking it in first thing tomorrow morning and will reply back with how the dealer handles it..... My 2003 Monte Carlo SS has clearcoated aluminum rims and they are still perfect, as were my 2004 Trailblazers' rims when I traded for the Traverse.

Check your wheels...

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
oh no... thats not nice....
let us know what they say

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah its probably a defective set. Our Traverse is older than yours (I think) and the wheels are still looking new.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) I am sure this is a factory defect when I upgraded the 20 inch rims on our LTZ the dealer ship made a point of letting me know the factory warrantee. I had explained how I had installed aftermarket wheels on my Silverado and 4 months later they were pitted. They had a one year warrantee that the factory (Vagare Luxury 20 inch Wheels) did not honor I still have they in my shed paid $1,000.00 for the set of four and have had them on craiges list for 6 months for $350.00 and cant get that for them. I have never had a problem with factory wheels heck the chrome ones have like a 5 year warrantee and are tripple coated so I am pretty sure the dealership will replace the wheels that are damaged.

8) Steve

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've seen a lot of chrome issues on most the forums I frequent for cars. On all models. Seems they are getting cheap these days on the chrome stuff.

Also, Don't GMs come with a 100K mile rust warranty? I wonder if this applies to the wheels as well?

·
Registered
201 Posts
The wheels (standard and GM accessory purchased at delivery) have a 36 month 36000 mile warranty. My Ltz is also pitting my own service manager told me GM will only replace once, I will fight that, but will wait a little to replace. I currently have 17000 miles on mine and am ready for the second rotation. The wheels have never been balanced so the center cap has not been removed.

I will try and talk to our rep next time he comes in to let him know it is starting to show as a potential problem with the finish, no promises though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I have it scheduled to go in tomorrow morning for new wheels and they're going to have a 2010 Traverse ready for my loaner. I still don't beleive it's going to be that easy.....we shall see.

danthechevyman said:
my own service manager told me GM will only replace once, I will fight that, but will wait a little to replace.
If the service manager tells me this, I will fight it also(he'll get an earfull first)..... Nowhere in my warranty is it stated that a warrantied part will only be replace once, unless I missed that part...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Zubius said:
So, I have it scheduled to go in tomorrow morning for new wheels and they're going to have a 2010 Traverse ready for my loaner. I still don't beleive it's going to be that easy.....we shall see.

If the service manager tells me this, I will fight it also(he'll get an earfull first)..... Nowhere in my warranty is it stated that a warrantied part will only be replace once, unless I missed that part...
Why do you need a loaner vehicle, can't they just swap the wheels?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
09Enclave said:
Why do you need a loaner vehicle, can't they just swap the wheels?
Sure they can, but they also have to remove the tires from the old wheels, remount the tires on the new wheels, balance & remount. That's not a quick job at a dealership when it's one the busiest in the area. I kinda doubt they would be waiting for me to show up, impact guns in hand (think pit stop). I'm sure my car will be in line with the others there for service, 1st come - 1st served kinda deal...

Plus, I need to go to work... ;D

·
Registered
407 Posts
I guess all good reasons, but I've never taken a loaner vehicle, we just drop off the vehicle that needs work, and deal with one car for the day, till it's fixed, but we have a little more flexability, since I'm a stay home dad, and my wife works at a hospital...she gets days off during the week, so we just plan around her days off. There was one time we got a loaner vehicle when our Silverado was in the body shop after my wife spun into a ditch on an icy road in 2007 (not her fault at all, plow truck drivers sometimes fail to think icy roads need salt, not just plowing :banghead:). Sorry, who really cares for my reasons for not getting a loaner vehicle, I was just thinking that this dealer should get you in and out within an hour, without all the fuss of a loaner, but every dealer is different.

Anyway, hope all goes well, and they get the wheels swapped for you. :thumb:

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) I would rather them take there time and do it right mounting balancing and don’t forget the tire pressure sensors. I would hate for them to screw something up rushing and have to take it back again. Also I have had aluminum wheels with the clear coat coming off before you have to wax them just like chrome wheels especially if you are in and area like up north where the roads get a lot of salt this is corrosive and will eat the coating off. Heck if it will rust a vehicle why wouldn’t it corrode the aluminum.

8) Steve

·
Registered
407 Posts
VB - LTZ said:
:) I would rather them take there time and do it right mounting balancing and don’t forget the tire pressure sensors. I would hate for them to screw something up rushing and have to take it back again. Also I have had aluminum wheels with the clear coat coming off before you have to wax them just like chrome wheels especially if you are in and area like up north where the roads get a lot of salt this is corrosive and will eat the coating off. Heck if it will rust a vehicle why wouldn’t it corrode the aluminum.

8) Steve
You really think they work faster if they know you are waiting? They should perform the repair at the same pace, regardless of what the customer is doing, otherwise....all these folks who sit in the waiting room are getting rushed work? That doesn't make sense. I agree you don't want them to rush, but I wouldn't think there's a way to rush this job, it takes a certain amount of time, period.

·
Registered
115 Posts
09Enclave said:
You really think they work faster if they know you are waiting? They should perform the repair at the same pace, regardless of what the customer is doing, otherwise....all these folks who sit in the waiting room are getting rushed work? That doesn't make sense. I agree you don't want them to rush, but I wouldn't think there's a way to rush this job, it takes a certain amount of time, period.
I agree. Their pace is going to be set more by wanting to move onto the next job and make more $$ and not whether a customer is waiting or not.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) On warrantee work they get a set price and one of my good friends is my service manager so yes you do get a better job when there are not a dozen vehicles to get out the door because people are waiting to go to work. Not only that I find most of the time if when I drop it off early bird I end up with free car wash fluids toped of and little extras for being understanding. I do most of the work on my vehicles my self and almost always drop is off clean so the dealership understands I want to get the same treatment from them as if I did it myself. I am a Manager myself in a different industry and find the people that always want it now normally do not take a great deal of care of the item that they want the quick fix on and also are the ones to complain when something was missed because they forgot to mention it or said something like just get it back to me fast I will bring it back for the other item if need be. We do have the policy the costumer it always right no mater how wrong they are.

8) Steve

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Zubius said:

A part is replaced ONCE at no charge .... when it is performed as a "courtesy adjustment" .... when the replacement of such parts does NOt meet the criteria of a "warranty replacement".

Bob

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
09Enclave said:
09enclave, your analysis makes good sense.

Here's the service operation. The tech does the work, does whatever is written on the repair order. In the event a part needed that is not in stock, the "wait" on the repair order gives the parts staff a heads up, stating "we need to get this part now". If the customer is a "wait" customer, the "wait" customer is the next customer to have his vehicle worked on. The "wait" customer goes to the head of the list, so to speak, getting his job done before those who dropped their vehicles off for the day. From the tech's point of view, he is doing his job, whether it is a "wait" or drop off.

ALL jobs within a flat rate shop pay a set time, whether it be warranty, customer pay or internal work. ALL operations carry a pre set time. In the event of tracing an electrical short, we'll say, it is a "time plus material" job, documented by punching in and out on the repair order for the duration of that specific repair.

Finally, in this ongoing thread about corroded wheels, giving the service manager an "earfull" is not the answer. He did not manufacture the wheels, he did not set the policy within the warranty perimeters, he did not apply the salt and brine to the road, and he did not wash the car every 2 weeks in bad weather. Give the guy the break he deserves.

Bob

1 - 20 of 34 Posts