Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering the best way to keep my dark grey metallic painted Traverse clean from bird and sap droppings? Unfortunately I don't have a garage. Please advise...thank you!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Our Traverse has to park on dirt and grass under trees everyday. It gets COATED in dirt and, yes, bird droppings. We have the Black metallic so it shows everything even more. We also found out that the Traverse and its wheels are covered in some sort of polish already so that all you have to do is shoot it down with water and wipe it off with a micro fiber towel or something. We have special cloths but I dont know what theyre called.

But yeah. I dont think theres a way to keep bird poop and tree sap OFF the car. But it is easy to maintain.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would think a car cover would easily keep the droppings off the car, but may be a hassle to constantly put on/pull off throughout the day. Plus depending on the material it could cause scratches.

My best defense is to have a pack of Griot's Garage Speed Shine wipes http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+washing/car+cleaners/speed+shine+wipes+100+count.do and a Microfiber towel http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+washing/car+cleaning+tools/speed+shine+micro+fiber+cloths%2C+set+of+three.do or cotton towels http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/tools/detailing+tools/100-+cotton+wipes%2C+100+count.do?search=basic&keyword=100+count+cotton&sortby=newArrivals&page=1 handy in the car at all times.

I have Carbon Metallic Acadia and before I knew of these products, I got nailed by some goose droppings. I unfortunately did not get to clean them off right away and as a result, they have now etched my paint. No amount of polishing has cured this and I now see nickel size imperfections on the hood and left fender. Gets me mad everytime I wash the car.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
maseacre said:
Our Traverse has to park on dirt and grass under trees everyday. It gets COATED in dirt and, yes, bird droppings. We have the Black metallic so it shows everything even more. .
ouch!!! man this would drive me nuts......... seeing the dust and stuff on black paint.... I avoid all dark color cars... I know they look nice--- but I couldnt handle the stress from seeing the dust...
you know- its one of those things that would bother me all day... knowing I can see the dust/dirt

·
Registered
74 Posts
My desert brown metallic hides the dirt really well. Never owned a brown colored car before.

- Joe

·
Registered
72 Posts
rbarrios said:
ouch!!! man this would drive me nuts......... seeing the dust and stuff on black paint.... I avoid all dark color cars... I know they look nice--- but I couldnt handle the stress from seeing the dust...
you know- its one of those things that would bother me all day... knowing I can see the dust/dirt
Yeah
But we have new car paranoia. We like EVERYONE to know we have a new car by keeping it clean. And our last car was Toyota Beige and it hid dirt really well so were not used to being able to see the dirt. ;D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sales guy we just bought from used to be a pro detailer.
When the vehicle was being prepped for delivery, he went out & bought Mother's Showtime for us.
He recommended getting the vehicle waxed to keep airborne particles from getting into the clearcoat, so that all "droppings" would be on the wax instead of the clearcoat/paint.

Personally, I use Meguiars 3-step Deep Crystal system on my Black '99 Harley Electra Glide. Let's just say it's a mirror finish when i'm done, and has many folks questioning if it's really a '99. It looks like new, yet has 60K on it. Of course, it's 10 hours work on a Sunday to clean then fully wax & polish - including the chrome. So I'm biased towards Meguiars.

So I would recommend either Mother's or Meguiars Wax to start, then use a quick cleaner/wax to protect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts