Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, it's about time for the first detail job, and i want to pick the right product. i've researched ad nauseum, and i think i want to stay away from caranuba waxes due to their "melting points". anyone tried 5 Star Shine? i'll spend 60 bucks if its really worth it......any other suggestions?

A

·
0 Posts
I will say this.......

I, for one, have not tried 5 Star Shine; so I can't attest to their 5 year guarantee.

I will say that other Lambda owners have had good success with Adams and Zaino (not pitching their products; just stating what I have read elsewhere)

This topic will drive a lot of discussion; so be prepared :thumb:; on the other hand it's nice to see that you want to protect your Traverse with the best possible paint protection you can get

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is what a friend used on mine...

After he did the Clay bar, which collected a LOT of dirt, he used...
- Griot’s Car Care – One-Step Sealant
Then on top of that...
- Collinite Wax

It is holding up well after 5K+ miles and many washes.

BTW - My friend details $100K+ cars at a very high end shop. So I'm betting his selection of product is one of the better options.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have had excellent results using Meguiars NXT tech 2.0 , applied it twice a year ,it stands up to the weather
up here in Canada. We have some brutal extremes of weather in Alberta.

A

·
0 Posts
2LT AWD said:
I have had excellent results using Meguiars NXT tech 2.0
I would agree as this is what the Acadia has on it now; it seems to handle southern Arizona as well as can be expected

·
Registered
465 Posts
The wax has a good smell to it , that helps when spending so much time that close to the paint , appling and then polishing.
Seems that all of there products have a unquie smell to each :eyebrow:[/color]

·
Registered
37 Posts
First all I have never been a fan of aftermarket paint protections system like Zeibart and the like and tried them in the past with poor results for too much money. When I bought my 2005 CTS the dealer offered me the Auto Armor Paint protection as a perk to buy the car. I took it and was amazed at how good it held up after 4 yrs. I can't tell how many times I was accused of spending too much time polishing and waxing my car. I never once did that, just ran it thru the touchless car washes and it came perfectly clean each time.

So I was sold on Auto Armor and had my 2008 GMC done. Same thing, harsh winters, snow, salt and I only used the touchless car washes and same thing, everyone thought I was always polishing my vehicles which I have not done since my 2004 GMC. Had my 2009 CTS done and 2 yrs later it looks just like it was just done and I run it thru the touchless car wash about every 2 weeks on average. Car wash is not supposed to remove the paint protection.

I know I sound like an Auto Armor commercial and I have no vested interest in the products but I will always go to this shop for every vehicle I purchase for now on. I drove 100 miles and spent 4 hrs killing time to get my 2010 GMC done. I will never wax another vehicle, matter of fact Auto Armor states to never wax it.

If you don't want to wax or polish, look for a good Auto Armor Dealer. The dealer is just as important as the products. If the shop has young guys doing the work, run as fast as you can away. They have no experience, the shop I go to has had the same peopple for nearly 20 yrs and the place is immaculate inside.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to Z15....can you give me a cost on the auto armor?

·
Registered
37 Posts
On my 2010 GMC Sierra E. Cab it was $195 for the paint protection only.

Here is a pic of my old 05 CTS with the auto armor, this pic was taken some time in 2008. Ordered a 2009 and I took delivery in Jan '09.

I never waxed or polished this car, I rarely hand washed it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks great...deep color with great reflection...now what do you mean by "paint protection only" ?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I used to have my own detailing business in college, and for the first couple of years after college, and have tried many of the OTC detailing products. I no longer detail other people's cars on a daily basis, but I do detail my own at least twice a year, and other people's for a few bucks here and there if I have the time.

From what I have used on my cars, and others, I like the Meguiars NTX 2.0 for an Over the Counter product. This isn't a wax as we know it, because it has very little carnuba in it. This is a paint sealer, which is designed to last longer than a wax, and give the paint gloss and reflection. I use this quite a bit on my Black Silverado that has 195,000 miles on it, and it keeps the paint well protected, and beads water up to about 3 months, after weekly washings. This is a product that I will continue to use, until I find something better for my dollar.

Recently, I gave the Traverse her first buff, and wax ( because some @$$ hat broke into my garage, and decided to walk on the hood of my 2 week old Traverse). The buffing took out all of the scratches ( thank God ) and I chose to try a new wax on it. I used the Dodo juice, orange crush made specifically for metallic, warm colors. The wax went on great, and left the paint looking very deep, and almost inky looking. As long as the longevity is there, I will probably continue to use this, to justify my $60 per container price tag.

As for the others mentioned above, I have heard nothing bud good about Zaino, and would like to try their products some day, but not sure I want to make the investment to do so.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As someone who has owned two Suburbans, many cars and boats I have learned to hate the polishing and waxing thing. I have tried more products than I care to think about, from mega-buck "systems" to plain old "Rally" wax. If I'm going to invest a days work I want it to last. Longest lasting wax hands down is Collonite, and now the "but". I've recently tried a product called- FW-1 it is great, it took twenty minutes to wax my Silverado crew-cab and it looks great. No concerns about getting it on plastic. Easy on, SPRAY, easy off and with that little effort I won't be so concerned with durability. So far I have done my Traverse,Granite Black, Silverado, 72 MGB and 66 Chevy II. It is the easiest stuff I have ever used, also those were done using about a half a can. Check it out at http://www.fastwax.com/. I'll keep you posted on durability. PS I use it after washing and it still cleaned residual dirt off of the car.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks everyone for all the replies...still looking for an honest, "non paid" review of 5 star shine...seems like the real deal to me, and supposedly with a discount code can get it for $47...alot cheaper than auto armor, and i can do it myself, which means i know it will get done right. any experience out there, or anyone know anyone who used it? I don't know if i trust the "customer testimonials".

·
Registered
312 Posts
That sounds interesting enough to give a try. But, I'm also left wondering why the OEMs don't apply something like it at the factory if it's so good and so cheap.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use Griots Garage products

·
Registered
70 Posts
I returned from a Corvette show 2 weeks ago, and there are more vendors selling every kind of wax and detail products for rubber and parts you didn't even know needed something smeared on it. Zaino makes a series of cleaners and waxes, that when applied in about 6 stages, looks great. You have to do this in a garage to keep out of the sun. I would never undertake this on the Traverse, due to size. Ibiz makes a waterless wax and protectant that can be applied over light dirt, without washing, with a good microfiber cloth and if you're careful, you can clean and wax in one step. Not much longevity, but for most of my friends, their Corvettes are not daily drivers. I recently discovered Fomula 113, spray wax and it did a better job of removing (covering?) swirl marks than anything I have ever used.
I had a scuff on the rear bumper of one of my cars, I had polished, used Finess-It II, with a buffing machine and it really didn't help. One of my friends used Formula 113 on the scuff and it was reduced by 80%, really. Barely noticeable now. This is not real expensive stuff and comes in the spray or bottle with the same, but thicker wax. I have no interest in any of these companies but am a real "waxer", among other things and enjoy trying every wax I can get my hands on. I also use the Formula 113 in the sun with no problems. If the paint is really no longer smooth, nothing works like clay and a bit of detailer, to keep the surface wet for the clay.
I have always used Stoner Invisible Glass for windows but have recently switched to Adam's Glass cleaner. It is amazing. I have no idea why it works better but its worth a try.

Vetmann
2010 Traverse AWD Traveler's Edition

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
andylibby said:
That sounds interesting enough to give a try. But, I'm also left wondering why the OEMs don't apply something like it at the factory if it's so good and so cheap.
Because Factory Clear coats, especially on GM and Ford, are rock hard. Now the imported gems from Germany, are much different. You can almost scratch the clear coat on those with your fingernail. Of course, a hard clear coat like we have on our Traverses also has it's down side. Once it is scratched, it is harder to buff out.

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
also, the meguiar's link is great-i actually checked that out last week...always wondered what the purpose of the huge bottles of car wash soap was for, as I always used dish soap...can't believe I was wrong for 44 years...those videos on that site, while sort of propoganda for Meguiar's, are still quite informative. they taught this old dog a new trick.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts