Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since returning from a recent business trip to the traffic **** of Houston, I have noticed a distinct pulsating feedback through the brake pedal. I assume I've warped a brake rotor (at least one).

Anybody else experience any similar issues on their Traverse? I turned over 19,000 miles this morning, btw. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
interesting.
have you had the tires rotated?
Or anyone loosen/tighten the lug nuts...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had them rotated twice so far. It's probably time to do it again.

With today's longer oil change intervals, I tend to change the oil and rotate the tires at the same time. Of course, some people propose tire rotating every 5,000 miles, but I've never done quite that.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
who rotated them?

I ask because if the lug nuts werent tightened with torque wrench or they didnt use that special thing on the air gun--- then thats a possible cause of the warping....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hadn't thought of the connection between torquing lug nuts and warpage.

Both times have been at Chevy dealers; once at the dealer where I bought and another at an out of town dealership.

·
Registered
79 Posts
old thread.... I know (I also searched and found 4 other warped rotor threads before responding on this one)

I'm so tired of warped rotors with this vehicle (2010 2LT). I've had issues twice before and both times the dealer turned the rotors. The vibration and noise is back again - I just finished an 11 drive through the Rockies and every downhill was irritating to say the least.

I've had the tires changed by the dealer and a tire shop and never by me. Can't say what the dealer does (and I don't trust my dealer any longer after a recent repair fiasco) but I have seen the tire shop use a torque wrench. This car gets the tires changed & rotated twice a year when winters go on/come off.

Surely there has to be a way to build rotors so they don't warp due over torquing. I always thought it was the pattern you used to torque down the nuts that was the real problem.

I'm trading this beast in next spring/fall and hope to have the brakes reasonable before sale.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
interesting to read this now... how many miles on your 2010?

We just got home from eating out- there was 6 of us in the Traverse and when braking- I thought about how smooth the braking felt. No pulsation. factory rotors. Never turned. Im at 131,500

·
Registered
247 Posts
Same here, 2009 Traverse with 164,000 miles, no pulsation factory rotors never turned. Braking has always been smooth.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 09 LTZ had 77000 when i traded it with the original rotors. Pads changed twice. Turning the rotors in my opinion weakens them. And your telling us that the rotors were turned twice. Sounds like a bad deal to me. Driving habits can also have an affect on how rotors hold up.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
wow- pads changed twice in 77,000!
hills?

I changed mine at 100,000... with plenty of pad left.
I changed because I had the pads and I was doing my 100K preventative maintenance.(struts, plugs, etc)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Brake rotors pulsations are a common occurence with north american vehicules. I went to severals rotors over the years specially with my Impala 2003. My Uplander started to pulsate its rotors in the front at 13,000 kilometers. I am extremely gentle with my brakings and start a light braking all the imes when there is a red light ahead. Dealer replaced my rotors on the Uplander but was not to willing to do it. They gives you all kinds of excuses that you were very rude with your braking. On the Impala I dont recount how many rotors I went through. Returning the rotor is the worst fix you can have because the job does not last more than 5000 kilometers without going into the same pulsing again. Still on the Impala I started replacing my rotors after severals replacement because I hate this feeling of pulsation and started buying some cheap chinese brands and they lasted as long as the more expensive rotors but at half the price.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have ~128,000 km (79,500 miles) on the vehicle today. Changed the front pads last year at about 118,000 km (73,000 mi). Rears are still OEM.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Many people can live with pulsating brakes and some cannot. there are more vehicles on the roads with some pulsations on the brakes pedals than vehicles without any. Some pulsation will be more evident when you apply a light pressure on the brake pedal and less evident if applied hard. Personnally I hate pulsations even light. The only alternative is new rotors because I know that if they are turned the same problem will be back in less than 3000 kilometers. The maximum safe life for front brake pads on a vehicule that weight close to 5000 lbs is no higher than 40,000 miles unless you do highway driving most of the time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm getting new rotors put on and.... a new timing chain. Engine light came on again yesterday - second time in the last two months. Guess I'll be driving the car a year longer to get some use out of the $$$ I've put into it.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
I'm getting new rotors put on and.... a new timing chain. Engine light came on again yesterday - second time in the last two months. Guess I'll be driving the car a year longer to get some use out of the $$$ I've put into it.
Carl- how many miles on your 2010?

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
ok, thanks for the mileage info.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
That is a very short mileage for a timing chain replacement. What was the main cause of these failures so early beside a lack of lubrication?

·
Registered
79 Posts
That is a very short mileage for a timing chain replacement. What was the main cause of these failures so early beside a lack of lubrication?
IMHO..... poor f****g engineering.

This has been a nightmare vehicle for me - far more problems than my 1998 Dodge Caravan.

Vehicle has always had the oil changed within the interval suggested by the on-board system and almost all except one or two early in the life of the vehicle have been done at a dealership. Levels have been checked and have always been 1/3 stick or higher.

I'm taking any further discussion over to a thread on timing chains as this one is about brakes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts