Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have just over 1000 miles on my new Traverse and have noticed one thing which doesn't seem right. My voltmeter which I would expect to read at about 14 all of the time, reads about 13 approximately half the time. It will go above 14 for a minute or so after starting then flip flop between 14 and 13. On a 200 mile trip to Indiana it started at 14 and went to 13 for the last 100 miles or so. Seems to vary intermittently. Is this some new technology to reduce alternator drag for a minute fraction of a fuel economy improvement, or do I need to see my local dealer right away?

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
You hit it right on the head...
It is designed to provide juice only when needed....
no need to use up fuel to make electricity when you dont really need it.
Thats why you see that slight fluctuation...
Theres a section on the owners manual about this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. Maybe that's how they got up to 24 highway rating so they could beat out the Honda's 23 in the Howie Long TV add.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I noticed this also over the weekend.. Volts would go slightly above 14 and down to 12.5 or so. Dealer confirmed today that it's normal, just as rbarrios stated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Question... would this interfere with a battery isolator? There are sensors on the starter battery so if they are telling the alternator to do nothing because the starter bat is fully charge, it sounds like it would never continue on charging to charge the AUX battery... it almost sounds like it would only charge AUX at the same time as the starter.

Tampering with the existing sensors on the starter battery does not sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
22 Posts
mredmich said:
I now have just over 1000 miles on my new Traverse and have noticed one thing which doesn't seem right. My voltmeter which I would expect to read at about 14 all of the time, reads about 13 approximately half the time. It will go above 14 for a minute or so after starting then flip flop between 14 and 13. On a 200 mile trip to Indiana it started at 14 and went to 13 for the last 100 miles or so. Seems to vary intermittently. Is this some new technology to reduce alternator drag for a minute fraction of a fuel economy improvement, or do I need to see my local dealer right away?
Same thing happened with me before 2 days ago. My new car has just only 910 kms, and the voltmeter always read over 14 (14.5 - 15), But now it is 13. When the lights on, it comes back to around 14. Is it normal to happened now (less than 1000 kms)?? In the owner manual, they said it is normal between 11.5 - 15 :-\

plz advise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts