Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed recently the battery voltmeter dropped to 9 for a short drive. I turned off the car and turned it back on the battery meter went up to 16 when its that high I get the check engine light on and flashes every once in a while. For the last year the check engine light has been on and off. As I can remember the check enine light started coming on when the battery volts went up to 16. For a 80 mile drive another day the battery volt meter stayed at 14 when the voltmeter stays at 14 the check engine light goes out but flashes 6 times another about 12 times. I think it might be an alternator rectifier. The alternator tests fine at oriely's auto parts when they test it.
My question Is on ebay they sell the alternator rectifier so I can take the bolts off the old one and replace it on the alternator or should I just get the whole new alternator and spend 150 instead of $25? Or is this another issue and fixing the alternator wont fix my check engine light?

In the last 4 months
Issue first started stabilatrac service on. The repair that fixed that was resetting the steering angle sensor with the computer.

check engine light came on.
I replaced spark plugs with irridium ones, changed all 6 coils.
I found oil in the plastic past between the throttle-body and engine air filter so I replaced the thottle-body.
I put in a new battery

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found on youtube someone replaced the voltage regulator on the alternator by taking off 4 bolts on the side that the positive cable connects to. It looks easy to replace should I try this? If it dose not work I would need to buy the alternator. Which is going to cost even more.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Id check ebay,
some yrs ago- several of us bought OEM alternators on ebay, A shop was selling OEM units.
I bought one- still sitting in my garage as a spare.. if I ever need it. It was $95 I think.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
my original post said it was $104 including shipping.
The link is too old.
Ill see if I can find the sellers name.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
this was the seller
Id go see if he has the part.
Search for OEM numbers for your model year, thats how I found mine

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Went and pulled it out.
I mean for $104.... for OEM new.

remanufactured units are selling for $120-$250.
New AcDelco (also Denso) are $300-$400

1 - 7 of 7 Posts