Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 09 Traverse is fine for me, have travelled 8500 miles this sumer ( 3 trips) .... all has been fine with the exception of the Onstar system. The TBT, traffic report and weather forecast have been a nighmare.

That being said, please, as an experiment here, hit the "hands free" button on your mirror ...state "virtual advisor", then tell me what you hear next .... or the options you are offered.

My "virtual advsor" is disabled. Why, you ask? Some how, I have a "saved destination" within my TBT system .... I'm told it cannot be deleted.

Because i have this "saved destination" unwillingly stored, when I ask for the "virtual advisor" .... the system defaults, brings that "saved destination" up again and over rides anything the "virtual advisor" could do for me.

I'm being helped by technical assistance at Onstar plus a fine representative, but I'm told the "saved destination" will be in my system forever, thereby making "virtual advisor" useless.

Any thoughts on this?

Bob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like a problem we had too. The easy way to fix this is to call onstar and ask for some random directions and then save them. Therefore when you ask for the virtual advisor you will be prompted with you have 2 saved destinations. Then the advisor will say them and that's when you can over ride the system and say weather or traffic. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
angelca1993 said:
Sounds like a problem we had too. The easy way to fix this is to call onstar and ask for some random directions and then save them. Therefore when you ask for the virtual advisor you will be prompted with you have 2 saved destinations. Then the advisor will say them and that's when you can over ride the system and say weather or traffic. Hope this helps
If this has worked for you, I'll try it, as well. It sounds to me that if destination "A" was saved, and then I add destination "B", destination "B" would now be the culprit. I'll give it a try Friday.

Bob

·
Registered
312 Posts
I guess OnStar's not doing a good job selling their services because I've never heard of Virtual Advisor. I have a prepaid minutes account - I set it up for use in case of emergency- but I never knew there was another use for those minutes.

I hope you get your problem sorted out.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
andylibby said:
I guess OnStar's not doing a good job selling their services because I've never heard of Virtual Advisor. I have a prepaid minutes account - I set it up for use in case of emergency- but I never knew there was another use for those minutes.

I received a CD concerning Onstar. VIRTUAL ADVISOR WILL GIVE YOU TRAFFIC REPORTS WITHIN A 5 MILE RANGE ( GREAT WHEN IT WORKS ) AND VIRTUAL ADVISOR WILL GIVE YOU WEATHER REPORTS FOR THE EXACT LOCATION YOU ARE CALLING FROM.

SORRY FOR ALL THE CAPS .... NEVER SAID i WAS GOOD WITH A KEYBOARD.

Bob

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
I use virtual advisor-- but I dont use it for weather or traffic...
Instead I use Mapquest to load up my directions.
Go to mapquest-- find your destination- and then youre given the option to send to onstar...
I do that-- (It asks for your Onstar acct #) and zip code.
Once you do that...
it opens up a new small window-- where it lists my current saved destinations... (up to 5 can be stored).
If theres any stored--- It has an icon of a trash can--- which allows you to delete any of them.
You then give your NEW destination a name--(type it IN)... and click OK...
WHen you get to your car--- press the PHONE button and say Virtual advisor...
2 things happen--- it may say... I See you have a new destination--- would you like me to xxxxxxxxx....
or it will say--- to list your destinations-- say list--- when you hear your destination- say its name-- or say that one....

I then just say the name- and it proceeds to upload what I did thru mapquest...

so you may be able to go to mapquest--- and then open up TBT thru there-- and delete the destinations...

I can delete all 5.

the destination will remain in virtual advisor until I delete it via mapquest...
I dont know how to delete it from within the car... Since I can use mapquest-- its so much easier that way

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
andylibby said:

virtual advisor is for Turn by turn, weather, and traffic...
its tied in with ONstar...

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
forgot to mention-- E-Nav is the feautre you use to send directions to your car and use virtual advisor...
In the image below-- I have used mapquest to find a local intersection-- I have called it high school--- since I know theres a high school on that corner.
I will click the box next to it-- and it will save it to my destinations.
On the right hand side--- is the list of current saved destionantion.. which I can delete...

Note what it says at the bottom of the window---
Onstar will save your destinations- until you delete them....

So I would try to delete this troublesome saved destination via Mapquest....
You just need your Onstar acct...

·
Registered
407 Posts
rbarrios said:
I use virtual advisor-- but I dont use it for weather or traffic...
Instead I use Mapquest to load up my directions.
Go to mapquest-- find your destination- and then youre given the option to send to onstar...
I do that-- (It asks for your Onstar acct #) and zip code.
Once you do that...
it opens up a new small window-- where it lists my current saved destinations... (up to 5 can be stored).
If theres any stored--- It has an icon of a trash can--- which allows you to delete any of them.
You then give your NEW destination a name--(type it IN)... and click OK...
WHen you get to your car--- press the PHONE button and say Virtual advisor...
2 things happen--- it may say... I See you have a new destination--- would you like me to xxxxxxxxx....
or it will say--- to list your destinations-- say list--- when you hear your destination- say its name-- or say that one....

I then just say the name- and it proceeds to upload what I did thru mapquest...

so you may be able to go to mapquest--- and then open up TBT thru there-- and delete the destinations...

I can delete all 5.

the destination will remain in virtual advisor until I delete it via mapquest...
I dont know how to delete it from within the car... Since I can use mapquest-- its so much easier that way
:ditto:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think you have put me in the correct direction, Roberto. I do believe I did download this "destination" from mapquest some time back.

But ...... when going to virtual advisor, I am given NO choices ...the TBT begins for this "saved destination".

On the road, I do not normally utilize virtual advisor, instead I hit the hands free button and say "traffic report" or "weather forecast" and that will get me what I need.

By searching through virtual advisor, as I did today, there are many, many things that can be done, deleted, added, changed, whatever. I believe the phrase is "more choices" or something close to that phrase.

I will try to go to mapquest Friday and see what I can undo there.

Thanks much ...

bob

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
P.S. I have contacted Onstar, while on my trips, to make hotel reservations, have asked Onstar for the nearest resaurant, then Onstar would patch me into that restaurant, via the car phone. Neat features.

Bob

·
Registered
105 Posts
Very nice & cool feature with E-nav from mapquest. Too bad for some of us, it is only for US Trav owners.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Interesting thread, I did not know of the weather report or traffic report feature. I looked at Onstar's website and find nothing about virtual advisor on there, so I call. 20 minutes later I have an answer. I was asking about a list of commands for virtual advisor, and there is no list, but the advisor told me there are only 4 things you can do with it:

e-Nav
Weather report
Traffic report
Stock quotes

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
09Enclave said:
Interesting thread, I did not know of the weather report or traffic report feature. I looked at Onstar's website and find nothing about virtual advisor on there, so I call. 20 minutes later I have an answer. I was asking about a list of commands for virtual advisor, and there is no list, but the advisor told me there are only 4 things you can do with it:

e-Nav
Weather report
Traffic report
Stock quotes
There is a list of commands, I have used them, but not to be confused with the reports you have listed here.

One BIG problem I have seen on my 8500 mile trips is the lack or perceived lack of knowledge some ( human )advisors display. Too many different answers for the same question.

Bob

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
the only time I have had virtual advisor--- start up automatically-- was when I left the planned route.
and came to a stop (gas- eat- potty break etc).

When I turned the car back on--- the virtual advisor - I THINK said it was resuming driving directions---
but at some point you can press the Onstar button or the phone button- and say CANCEL ROUTE. (I think the radio will also display "CNCL"- which you can press)-- the nice lady will then say-- Would you like to cancel your route- say yes or no?...
I say no-- and it end the turn by turn.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TBT is part of the Onstar " Blue Button".

Virtual advisor is on the "hands free call button".

When you utilize virtual advisor, such as traffic, weather, etc, that is being charged against your available calling minutes.

Bob

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Okay, so I have a quick question then. If on my OnStar subscription, I only have calling minutes, and I didn't pay for the package that includes turn by turn, can I still use this virtual advisor when ever I want, until I run out of minutes, or will I be billed for using the virtual advisor, since It's not part of my plan? :help:

·
Registered
407 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
There is a list of commands, I have used them, but not to be confused with the reports you have listed here.

One BIG problem I have seen on my 8500 mile trips is the lack or perceived lack of knowledge some ( human )advisors display. Too many different answers for the same question.

Bob
What's the list of commands then?

GXPWeasel said:
Okay, so I have a quick question then. If on my OnStar subscription, I only have calling minutes, and I didn't pay for the package that includes turn by turn, can I still use this virtual advisor when ever I want, until I run out of minutes, or will I be billed for using the virtual advisor, since It's not part of my plan? :help:
I don't think using virtual advisor for the e-nav will charge anything on the phone minutes, I think it's only the weather, traffic, and stock quote features

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
I see you have a 2010--- so you should have 1 yr of turn by turn for free...
You should be able to use Virtual adviser-- (via Mapquest or Google)...
As for the traffic and weather--- I dont know about that...
You may have to test it out...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts