Traverse Forum banner

vehicle shake while towing

14K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  bobg1951chevy 
#1 ·
hello everyone I am new to this awesome site.

I have a 2010 LT2 built in Michigan with the factory towing package. I have now pulled two different trailers in the same week - a snowmobile and a seadoo trailer (good ole Canada - okay no snowmachine on the skidoo trailer I was carrying a jetski lift) and both times I got an obvious shaking ( at speeds between 95 km/hr and 110 km/hr) through the whole vehicle. :sosad:

Has anyone else encountered this issue? :help: I will have to bring it in to get it checked obviously ( I wonder if I have to suppy the trailer :happy:).

I have also tried two different receivers as well because I thought it might be that as they seem to fit very loose in the hitch but both of them fit the same. Any ideas? Thanks to all.

#2 ·
interesting. This is surely because of the load your pulling- since you dont say it does it without the trailer.
Has anyone driven behind/side you to see if any of the tires are wobbly or bouncing up and down (bad shock). or to see if the trailer is doing something funny...

#3 ·
HAve you checked and made sure the hitch bolts are all tight. I agree the factory receiver has to much play. I'm thinking of trying to add some thin steel to tighten it up.

Has anyone bought the GM Draw bar do you have the play??

#4 ·
No I haven't had anyone follow me but I have looked in the mirrors and saw no signs of such problems (swaying, bouncing, etc). yes the problem is only there while towing. Both trailers i used have springs (no shocks) and are fairly new. I have thought about checking the bolts on the hitch but haven't yet but certainly will.

I don't like the hitch as there is alot of play in it. I have tried different temporary things to try to take up the slack thinking this may be the problem but the shaking was still present.

#5 ·
We hauled a very small pop-up camper and had no problems with shaking. In fact, my husband said he couldn't even tell he was towing anything it drove so smooth (I did not drive, but riding in the car, I had to agree). We only towed it about 30 miles (my mother-in-law bought it to use as a clubhouse for the grandkids, she is setting it up in her yard for the summer), so maybe it would have been different had we been towing a longer distance, but we did take it over some back roads, and it was still very smooth.

#7 ·
Travey said:
I don't like the hitch as there is alot of play in it. I have tried different temporary things to try to take up the slack thinking this may be the problem but the shaking was still present.
I've heard the Hitch makers are making them with more slop in them because so many people were having the insert rusting inside the reciever. I'm not sure if the insert is smaller or the reciever is bigger. I plan to have a couple drops of weld added to my insert and then grind them down until I get a good fit.

#8 ·
I am wondering if the trailer tires are balanced or not. The vibration could easily be coming through to the tow vehicle, especially with a lighter trailer.

The Traverse will "feel" the trailer a lot more than a 1/2 - 1 ton pickup truck.
Just a suggestion.

#9 ·
Yes, we went over 60 miles per hour. We were driving about 65-70 on the Interstate for about 10 miles, and no shaking. My old vehicle used to shake whenever we went over 65, so that is one thing about the Traverse, it is almost TOO smooth of a ride. I was driving on the interstate last Sunday morning and didn't even REALIZE I was going about 92mph until I glanced down at the speedometer. I was just cruising along, and there was hardly any traffick, so I didn't even notice! Good thing there were no police around!

#10 ·
Quantum - the shaking was the same on two different trailers though. I am going to check the bolts on the hitch tonight if they are fine I am going to be bringing it in to see what Chevy can find. I am a little disappointed right now with only 2000km on the traverse.

likewise I will be looking to somehow take up the significant slack in the hitch so the receiver isn't slapping/banging around on every bump.

#11 ·
How heavy was the tongue weight while you were towing? If the trailer was weighted so the tongue weight was low, that may cause all kinds of weirdness. Be sure that there is at least a couple hundred pounds on the tongue, if not more. Section 4-26 in the manual states the tongue should be between 10% to 15% of the total trailer weight.

#12 ·
Yesterday I finally got my new bike rack all set up to slide in the receiver. Wow, there is a lot of extra play in there!! I am going to have to do something about that. I think that mayb get annoying with the bikes wobbling around back there. Tried the rack on my work van, and its a much tighter fit, but still slides in easy. I think they should have left well enough alone with the receiver. Oh well. Time to jig up something.

#13 ·
Quantum,

In regards to the slop in your yoke of your hitch, this item will cure that. It's called a Hitchvise. I purchased it for my open car trailer and it does work. No more banging and thuds, starting and stopping, as well as side-to-side play. Spend the money on this. It's worth it.

http://www.hitchrider.com/hitch-vise-fit-guide-2.htm

Good luck!

#14 ·
Neat device, but the only problem I can see with it, is that you can't quickly remove your hitch. You always need to keep a wrench with you, get down and loosen the bolts. Seems like a bit of extra work. I do like it though. I'm thinking of making something that can permanently stay in the receiver.

#15 ·
Quantum,

My hitch requires a key to unlock the removable ball section to the yoke. I'm here to tell you, a ratchet wrench/socket, 2 bolts and it's in your hands in less than a minute. Works very well with no hassle. Locks that ball section snug to the yoke. No play. Worth the $30.00 + shipping.

Your call.

Good luck!

Jim
In God We Trust!

#16 ·
Hi Narg, the first trailer I pulled was a 2004 karavan double seadoo trailer with a 700 pound seadoo on it. the second trailer was a 2009 8x10 aluminum snowmachine trailer with a double seadoo lift perched on it. The seadoo trailer has some real weight to it, the snowmachine trailer not as much but should have been fine. I haven't had a chance to take it in yet but once I do I will post the results. I may try it again with another trailer and/or some one following me to see if they notice anything.

thanks to all.

#17 ·
My 2010 Travelers Ed. has 4500 miles on it. Last weekend, I towed a small boat on an aluminum trailer. I didn't find the hitch too loose in the receiver, maybe has to do with the newness and thick paint on the hitch. The trailer has no real suspension but i stopped a few times to be sure I had not lost the thing on the highway. Perfectly smooth, no vibration at all. Finally tied a red rag on the highest point on the boat so I could see it in the rear view mirror. I guess when my lockpick comes in, I could use the camera to check. That would be handy.

I run my tires at 38 PSI, are your tire pressures equal. I'd look at the hitch and trailers rather than the Traverse.

Vetmann
2010 Travelers

G
#19 ·
jssussex said:
I've towed my 5 x 8 utilty trailer both empty and and loaded with up to 3000 lbs and in all cases it pulled beautifully and with the rear view camera very easy to hitch up. I've pulled the trailer up to 70 MPH and no problem here.
Was there any swaying with your trailer at 70?

#20 ·
I remember when I drove out to Pensacola- in my Trailblazer...
On the highway- around Louisiana and those states that the 10 goes thru---
on some parts I was 'speeding' doing about 70...
and it always blew me away-- when other SUV's PASSED ME... while towing a hefty sized boat....
It amazed me......

Also interesting-- how youd see caravans of SUVs.... no imports in those areas.

#21 ·
Not knowing how much actual 'slop" you have between the hitch and the receiver , I can only say this. With 200 pounds or plus of tongue weight on the ball ( hitch) and the force, or the "pull" on the hitch pin against the receiver itself, the "slop" should not be a factor, to cause sway. What does cause sway is over or under inflated trailer tires, not enough "tongue weight" on the ball, and towing too fast ..... over 55 MPH.

Bob

#22 ·
One more thing here, the trailer should be as level as possible, front to rear. If the tongue dips down somewhat from level, that is acceptable. If the tongue is higher than the rest of the trailer, well that is not so good for handling qualities.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.