Traverse Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2010 LT 3.6L AWD
122 Posts
Y

If you're planning to pull more than 2000 lbs, you may wish to add more than just the hitch. PM me your email address and I can send you LOTS of info on adding the V92 stuff yourself.
Thank you but for now I don't.
The Traverse will only be used for launching & retrieving light boats at the ramp down the block from my cottage, with only my jetskis possibly getting some highway miles.
I'll still rely on my Durango for the HD chores & trips.

It's good to know the Traverse has the structural strength , but not the shift programming & extra cooling for going the distance (base).

·
Registered
2 Posts
1670 lbs is the towing capacity if you don't have the V92 package. It was 2000 lbs w/out the V92 package on the Gen 1s.

The V92 package adds additional cooling and the ability to change the transmission shift points (i.e., tow/haul mode); this is apparently enough to increase it to 5000 lbs (5200 lbs on the Gen 1s). Structurally, there's no difference between V92 and non-V92 (at least on the Gen 1s).
I have a Gen1 2012 FWD w/o the towing package. I have a frame mounted hitch and am considering pulling a light weight camping trailer about 250 miles out and back. My manual says 2000 lbs and 200 tongue weight or 7500 lbs total GCWR. The trailer is rated at 2500 lbs and 250 tongue weight. This is a one time trip and just wanting some experienced opinion. Thanks

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
The items you're missing that "allow" the greater towing capacity is the HD radiator and the tow/haul switch that changes the transmission shift points.

You'll probably be fine for one trip, especially if it's a popup. Just take it easy, speed-wise. Note I'm assuming your "rated at 2500 lbs" is GVWR and not "dry weight," a phrase you should strike from your vocabulary, as it's just a number the manufacturers use to reel in unsuspecting customers. If it's truly 2500 lbs, it probably doesn't have trailer brakes, another sign of a lightweight trailer. 250 lb hitch weight isn't an issue, as most hitches are rated for a minimum of 500 lbs.

But I have emailed you the info to the 2nd address; the first email address did not appear to be valid.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,001 Posts
As long as you're not hauling it over the Rockies you shouldn't have any issues.
Just keep an eye on the trans. temps if you have that gauge option on long uphill pulls.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts